PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my diet.

WILLGETNICE
12-14-2004, 05:50 PM
I'm 5'9" and 160 lbs. I've been working out for a while but have just recently tried to clean my diet up as much as possible. I don't have pics to post but I've got some good definition. I'm trying to get rid of as much fat as possible while staying around 160 lbs. My goal is to have a six pack without flexing so I tried getting rid of as much fat in my diet as possible.

Breakfast: Oatmeal and Protein Shake

Post-Workout: 5 oz. chicken, white rice, steamed broccoli

Lunch: MRP and either a banana or some walnuts

Snack: Protein Bar

Dinner: Salmon (if it's on sale at the market that week) or Steak, mashed potatoes or rice, and some vegetable.

Before Bed: Protein Shake

I eat pretty much the same thing at every meal each day. I drink plenty of water throughout the day as well.

What do you guys think? Thanks for your input.

trojan1444
12-14-2004, 07:37 PM
switch the white rice for brown rice and the mashed potatoes for a sweet potato

Maddawg
12-14-2004, 08:54 PM
I dont think you should drink a protein shake before bed eather. When you sleep you build fat fast.

Might as well as eat some popcorn. :lurk: lol

SalahG
12-14-2004, 08:59 PM
I'm 5'9" and 160 lbs. I've been working out for a while but have just recently tried to clean my diet up as much as possible. I don't have pics to post but I've got some good definition. I'm trying to get rid of as much fat as possible while staying around 160 lbs. My goal is to have a six pack without flexing so I tried getting rid of as much fat in my diet as possible.

Dinner: Salmon (if it's on sale at the market that week) or Steak, mashed potatoes or rice, and some vegetable.

I eat pretty much the same thing at every meal each day. I drink plenty of water throughout the day as well.

Post workout, try and get some dextrose and whey. Add some more EFA's to your diet, you're getting some in the salmon but you probably need a little more. Exchange the white rice for dinner for brown rice. Lastly, make sure that protein shake before bed is casein protein mixed with some sort of healthy fat, like natural peanut butter.

agentplaya1
12-15-2004, 01:06 AM
I dont think you should drink a protein shake before bed eather. When you sleep you build fat fast.

Might as well as eat some popcorn. :lurk: lol

Some slow digesting protein (cottage cheese, milk, eggs, plain yogurt) before bed is crucial if you want to minimize the amount of muscle loss during a diet. Just make sure your overall calories are kept in check.

Vido
12-15-2004, 01:44 AM
My goal is to have a six pack without flexing so I tried getting rid of as much fat in my diet as possible.

I can't believe no one pointed this out, but FAT DOES NOT MAKE YOU FAT. An overall calorie surplus is what is going to cause you to gain weight. If this surplus is too big (ie., it exceeds the extra calories needed to build and repair muscle tissue) you will gain some fat. The source of these calories is basically irrelevant.

Sub brown rice for white rice, yams instead of mashed potatoes, and eat whole food (protein + fat) before bed.

Vido
12-15-2004, 01:45 AM

When you sleep you also build muscle fast ;).

Eating before bed is crucial.

WILLGETNICE
12-15-2004, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! Also, is there any way I can figure out how many calories I'm burning during the day and how many I'm taking in? I should be burning more than I'm taking in if I'm trying to get really lean right? I'm really new to the dieting game but I'd appreciate any advice you can give. If this helps this is my workout schedule.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday - Lifting and abs (8-12 reps for 3-4 sets)
Tuesday, Thursday - Cardio (about 30 mins each day)
Saturday, Sunday - Off

Vido
12-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Also, is there any way I can figure out how many calories I'm burning during the day and how many I'm taking in?

There are calorie calculators out there, but I question their accuracy. Your best bet is just to track what you eat over the next couple of weeks (recording calories of everything that enters your mouth) and then adjusting your intake based on whether or not you're gaining, losing, or maintaining weight.