PDA

View Full Version : increasing appetite

DeusFacticius
12-14-2004, 06:27 PM
I've been trying to gain mass for a while, but my calculated bulking caloric intake is about 3500 calories! i've been trying but i really can't make myself eat that much, i'm never really that hungry (since i eat continuously throughout the day), but when i do eat, i get full very quick.

i think what i need to do is try to increase my appetite, but my research on it hasn't turned up much.

one technique i've heard from a friend is that professional eaters train by drinking a whole gallon of water in a limited time, i think around an hour he said. it makes sense, making your digestive track get used to taking on large volumes of food. my question is, is this safe? i dont think i could do it in as little as an hour, i could try for 3 and work my way down. but my real question is, is this safe? i've heard that too much water is actually bad for you, and i dont know if this extra volume is going to hurt my digestive track.

ryuage
12-14-2004, 06:28 PM
drink some calories

DeusFacticius
12-14-2004, 06:33 PM
what kinda things would be good to drink? i have some weight gainer, but its really expensive for how much you get (the stores around here are about $30-40 for 3-5 servings of 1300-1850 calorie shakes).

i also dont know if this would fix the problem, even drinking the weight gainer shakes fills me up just like solid food.

anybody got any ideas for healthy high calorie shakes that i can make at home? that also taste decent? ;)
that or any other ideas how i can get those extra calories into me?

AKraut
12-14-2004, 07:21 PM
I can't believe people actually have this problem, I'm pretty sure I could eat 5000 calories in a day without thinking twice. Too bad I already have enough bodyfat. Put icecream in your protein shakes.

If your problem is sheerly appetite, then I have a suggestion that some will consider sketchy, but marijuana would work wonders. Even a small dose when you're relaxing post workout will definitely stimulate your appetite.

DeusFacticius
12-14-2004, 07:28 PM
tried marijuana before, it made me slightly hungrier, but i dont think i could do it on a consistent basis (too much money, not enough time, and too hard on the lungs)

my problem is i just that once i start to feel full, i start to feel kind of nauseas, and the food just starts tasting like crap and making me want to throw up. this might be more of a mental thing, i dont know.

wouldn't putting ice cream in my shakes just load it up w/ sugar? i could always eat some extra candy but i thought im trying to avoid simple sugars like that?

mmac
12-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Gotta wake up early and stuff down some breakfast. Helps you break your fast and start metobolizing which should make you hungry. Least this worked for me. I try to eat about 1000 calories before noon, at least that is my goal.

You must obviously be bulking. I would eat really calorie dense foods. For example, 5 peanut butter crackers using ritz crackers and going heavy on the PB is about 300-400 calories.

My favorite recipe is this:
Beat 3 eggs in a bowl. Add 1/2-3/4 cup of minute rice. Mix it up. Cook like you would an omelete and flip once. Finish cooking. Coat with cheese and ketchup. Its delicous and worth about 500 calories.

GMCtrk
12-14-2004, 11:34 PM
I can't believe people actually have this problem, I'm pretty sure I could eat 5000 calories in a day without thinking twice. Too bad I already have enough bodyfat. Put icecream in your protein shakes.

If your problem is sheerly appetite, then I have a suggestion that some will consider sketchy, but marijuana would work wonders. Even a small dose when you're relaxing post workout will definitely stimulate your appetite.

why would you put icecream in your shake? THat is stupid

The key to eating big is getting up early and eating a SOLID breakfast. That sets the table for the rest of the day. Lunch is also very key, but is also hard to get sometimes. I like to make up by eating BIG at night when I am studying :cool:

agentplaya1
12-15-2004, 01:09 AM

The key to eating big is getting up early and eating a SOLID breakfast. That sets the table for the rest of the day. Lunch is also very key, but is also hard to get sometimes. I like to make up by eating BIG at night when I am studying :cool:

solid, liquid breakfast, what does it matter. I drink a weight gainer shake in the morning. That does it for me.

TheGimp
12-15-2004, 01:30 AM

I fail to see what is stupid about eating calorie dense foods when you would otherwise find it hard to meet your daily calorie needs.

To the original poster: I'm sure you don't want to hear this but 3.5k cals is not really that much :) While I'm not sure about your technique of drinking a gallon of water, a lot of it will come down to getting used to eating that much food. Just eat as much as you can and gradually increase it. One thing you could try is drinking some peppermint tea. This contains menthol which wiil stimulate your digestive juices and may increase appetite.

AKraut
12-15-2004, 01:35 AM

He's obviously bulking and having trouble getting his total calories up. He said his problem is he can't stomach eating more food. Added ice cream to a shake would boost calories and make it taste better... I don't see the problem when bulking...

Vido
12-15-2004, 01:39 AM
I fail to see what is stupid about eating calorie dense foods when you would otherwise find it hard to meet your daily calorie needs.

:withstupi

Vido
12-15-2004, 01:40 AM
3500 calories really isn't very much. If you're having trouble, just down pb and olive oil by the spoonful.

fen2zla
12-15-2004, 01:52 AM

I dont think that is stupid. It would add some much needed calories. Add in a tablespoon of olive oil and you have probably added an extra few hundred calories into the shake.

Also try snacking on nuts throughout the day.

DeusFacticius
12-15-2004, 02:26 PM
hah i know 3.5k isn't that much, but im really not used to eating a whole lotta food. i think i might just have a slow metabolism, cause even when i dont eat, i rarely ever feel hungry.

im making a rough guess, but i think im coming out to about 2600~2800 calories, a good point was made about breakfast. i usually only have a cup of chocolate milk and a small bottle of juice for breakfast, which comes out to about 350 calories, and is mostly sugar. the reasons i dont eat a good breakfast is that my stomach is usually very uneasy in the mornings, and that i dont have enough time. i could always wake up earlier, but im already short on sleep as it is.

i probably could throw in some extra peanut butter on my snacks, but although peanut butter is good protien doesn't it have a bit too much fat to pig out on like that?

i could always get these extra calories by eating some rich foods like brownies or cakes or cookies, but these are of course empty calories and mostly sugar.

is it better to get the full amount of calories with some bad (rich) foods, or better to stick to strictly good foods and come up short? im still a high school student, so usually i only have about 10-15 mins to eat between classes, that and unless i start carrying around a seperate bag just for food, there's a limit to how much i can carry in my backpack.

TheGimp
12-15-2004, 02:35 PM
Peanutbutter is good stuff and should not be avoided for its fat content as it is mainly "good" monounsaturated fat. However you should eat natural peanutbutter (where the ingredients are only "peanuts") rather than the processed stuff that contains a load of crap like sugar, palm oil and salt.

Of course it is best to eat clean food wherever possible, but if you are really having a hard time hitting 3.5k cals then eating some crappy foods is better than coming up short, you just won't grow unless you have a calorie surplus.

There have been a lot of threads about fitting eating into a high school schedule, you should do a search for more information on that.

AdmiralDan
12-15-2004, 02:57 PM
first off, eat a better breakfast. grab a bagel and slap on a bunch of peanut butter. also, use the internet to find an alternative to those expensive weight gainer shakes. i have found protein powders that amount to less than $0.30 a serving (20gm protein average). add some olive oil to that and you have a quick 300 calorie drink. look around and see what you can find.

Digitised
12-15-2004, 06:41 PM
took me a whole month to get used to eating 5-6 times a day, remember its about meal frequency more than meal size.

If you want just eat a load of small meals say 400-500 cals but eat this every 2hrs.
This could be, 100g of fish/meat 2 slices bread and a banana.

Small and easy but when u eat 7 small meals like that uve already got 3600 calories, and u didnt even notice it...

Alternatively, eat to failure and superset with water.
The hunger will drive u to eat again 2-3hrs later, just dont ignore the urge FEED IT.