PDA

View Full Version : no wonder why america is fat!

akomabutisakama
12-15-2004, 06:51 AM
the fda's daily recommendation for macros is 400g carbs (200g sugar), 80g protein, 40g fat

how can they reccomend this

mmac
12-15-2004, 07:21 AM
That isnt that much. A regular human should shed off that many calories per day, however with the invention of elevators, escalators, taxi's, etc. we are saving so many calories and eating the same that many are getting fat. Cooking if done properly should be a mini-workout. Seriously, if you beat some eggs walk back and forth from the stove to sink, scrub some dishes. However, if you throw a hungry man in the microwave, wait 5 mins., well you see my point.

_8_Ball
12-15-2004, 07:35 AM
the fda's daily recommendation for macros is 400g carbs (200g sugar), 80g protein, 40g fat

That's about 2280 cals... that's not the problem... the problem is that most ppl will eat WAY more then that...

If ppl ate smaller meals, they would feel "fuller" during the day and not eat as much.

ElPietro
12-15-2004, 07:43 AM
One hearty meal from a fast food joint can easily be more than half that caloric total alone.

Minotaur
12-15-2004, 09:03 AM

The problem is all that carbohydrate, lack of exercise and insulin resistance. That's far too much carbohydrate for the average person.

ElPietro
12-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Well, they are probably recommending that people drink Juice which will be carbs/sugar. I know many here when they calculate their totals either neglect their fluids in the total, or disregard it because they primarily drink water. So if you factor 3-5 glasses of some form of juice in a day, that carb total is more understandable.

Minotaur
12-15-2004, 09:38 AM
That's still far too much, especially if it is sugar from juice.

I once read an article, written by a RD, in which she said that to gain weight, a person should drink juice because it had lots of fat free calories. Wtf kind of advice was that, especially coming from a RD?

geoffgarcia
12-15-2004, 09:48 AM
america is fat cuz we are at work nearly twice as much as every other country.
We have to sit and work while the rest of you play...
also our economy and wealth ranks amongst the highest in the world, so we can afford to pamper ourselves with a lot of different foods as opposed to eating out of our gardens.

Saying America is fat is relative to what your comparing it to.
A lot of the US reports that claim america is fat are based on the US population going back every 5-10 years.
I haven't seen to many that compare the US to other countries.

J.C.
12-15-2004, 10:17 AM
america is fat cuz we are at work nearly twice as much as every other country.
We have to sit and work while the rest of you play...
also our economy and wealth ranks amongst the highest in the world, so we can afford to pamper ourselves with a lot of different foods as opposed to eating out of our gardens.

Saying America is fat is relative to what your comparing it to.
A lot of the US reports that claim america is fat are based on the US population going back every 5-10 years.
I haven't seen to many that compare the US to other countries.

Its quite intersting what you say (if slightly obvious). I remember Britain overtook Gemrany as the most obese european country a couple of years ago and that coincided with a strong run of economic prosperity from Britain and the Germans replacing what was the fourth stongest currency in the world for the Euro. Who knows - with the way America's economy has been going since George Bush first got elected maybe the country will get thinner again. Mind you, it does have a long way to fall.

shootermcgavin7
12-15-2004, 11:45 AM
Who knows - with the way America's economy has been going since George Bush first got elected maybe the country will get thinner again.

Jesus, you can't get away from political threads even in the Diet and Nutrition forum.

As for the topic, I could eat those exact Macros and still lose weight. Anyone who's maintenance is higher than that would. I could eat 600 g of sugar, and if that is all that I ate everyday, then I would still lose weight.

I'm not saying it would be good for me, or that I would end up with the physique that I wanted; but as 8 Ball and ElP have said, the reason that so many people are fat is that they eat way over that threshold.

Vido
12-15-2004, 12:53 PM

I agree with the other guys. The total amount of food there is not nearly enough to make "America fat", even with those desk jobs Geoff was referring to.

The macro breakdown makes no sense to me though. In fact, in Canada I think it's even worse. The above macro breakdown is for something like a 140-lb male (the "average" guy). Based on Canada's recommended intake, at 215lbs I'm supposed to consume 78g of protein/day, something like 500g carbs and 90g fat :confused:. In fact, after writing that out, that's a considerable difference between Canada and the US...in Canada we're supposed to consume more fat than protein, while it's not even close in the US...interesting.

Anyway, I'll never understand those recommendations. The "average" joe has a desk job, and needs about 100g carbs for optimal brain functioning. What he needs the other 300g carbs for I'm not sure. I'm not saying the recommendation should only be 100g carbs, but 400g carbs is a relatively high carb day even for an active bodybuilder imo anyway, so how the hell does some regular shmuck need that many?

MixmasterNash
12-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Americans are fat for many reasons, not least of which is that we're lazy and drive everywhere.

PizDoff
12-15-2004, 02:09 PM
There may be correlation between GDP and obesity, but that does not infer causation.

Vampiro
12-15-2004, 04:11 PM
Why are you guys worrying why America is fat, worry about your self. Yeah I know its sick walkin down the street seeing a tub a lard with a stick of sugar covered butter in his hand, but were above this, hopefully . .

agentplaya1
12-15-2004, 07:04 PM
I wish more of America was fat, makes me look even better. :D

Shao-LiN
12-15-2004, 07:28 PM

I bet you're assuming that carbs make you fat.

TTT
12-17-2004, 11:21 PM
I wish more of America was fat, makes me look even better. :D

...You won't wish that when your tax bill goes up 50% in the next few years.

mmac
12-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Its not the intake of food. Research scientists in Antartica eat nearly 5,000 calories per day when they are outside and working. They still lose weight. It really boils down to exercise. Not just in the gym but in life. I have gone to fast food joints and seen the drive through line backed up to the main road, while I go inside and there is no one inside. People would rather sit in their car and wait opposed to actually walking in the restaurant.

I honestly cant imagine being fat. (im not talking about a few extra pounds, im talking morbidly obese) The value I extract from life is based on being able to play sports, climb trees and have healthy sex, walk up stairs, be able to fit in movie theater chairs, go to ball games, not get charged extra to fly on an airplane.

akomabutisakama
12-18-2004, 08:28 AM
I bet you're assuming that carbs make you fat.
no i know carbs dont make u fat but 200g sugar sue will damn thats like almost my whole years worth or sugar

Canadian Crippler
12-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Not even close to your years worth, lmao. But I get your point.

ryuage
12-18-2004, 09:10 AM
im pretty sure I could eat 500 grams of sugar and not get fat heck... lose weight, granted it wouldnt be the best thing to do.