PDA

View Full Version : Drinking/Getting Lean

WILLGETNICE
12-15-2004, 05:17 PM
I know and understand that no matter what drinking alcohol is bad for you in alot of ways, but I'm a college student and most of my social life involves going to bars/clubs or parties. I'm no booze hound, but I do drink fairly frequently (usually every Thursday and Friday night, which isn't much in comparison to alot of people I know). And let's face it, who doesn't like to cut loose and have a few drinks with their friends every once in a while.

I'm currently trying to get as lean as possible and am determined to reach my goal. About how many drinks is acceptable to have and still be able to lean out? Is hard alcohol better to drink than beer? Should I do cardio the morning after I drink? Thanks for your help.

Digitised
12-15-2004, 05:35 PM
ever tried just drinking water or fruitjuice?

i dont drink, and i get by fine when i go out.
If your m8s are hardcore when they go out then maybe u need to politely be unsociable until your goals are reached.
It wont kill you will it?

WILLGETNICE
12-15-2004, 05:59 PM
ever tried just drinking water or fruitjuice?

i dont drink, and i get by fine when i go out.
If your m8s are hardcore when they go out then maybe u need to politely be unsociable until your goals are reached.
It wont kill you will it?

I see what you're saying. I'm never pressured into drinking more than I'd like to by my friends and however much they drink is their business, we all know we're responsible for ourselves when we go out and we all know our limits, it's just a preference of mine that when I'm out at a bar I have a few drinks. I'm not getting wasted every time I go out, but the times I do go out I'm usually ordering a few drinks. I appreciate your response tho and you're right it wouldn't hurt to get into the habit of not drinking any alcohol when I go out, but until then :alcoholic lol

Digitised
12-15-2004, 06:35 PM
most if not all lifters have a cheat day, which is free of guilt to do what u please to your body.
people who drink or have food cravings have them on this day.
I spose u could train friday, eat perfect saurday - then drink in the evening having sunday off as your cheat day and resume regimen on monday fully recovered.
That wouldnt hurt, as long as u drink sensibly.

agentplaya1
12-15-2004, 07:12 PM
:withstupi one day a week of drinking is acceptable, just don't get too trashed. Remember tho, alcohol robs your body of vitamins and lowers your testosterone levels. That alone should keep you away from drinkin too much.

eclips1
12-15-2004, 07:26 PM
I'm in the same boatt as you Will. I think in training disipline plays a big part. For me alcohol consumption inhibits my disipline on all levels. The truth is that to reach your goal, you have to lay off the alcohol all together. Not forever, but try it for a month and see how much better your results are. Once you've gotten where you want to be, then re visit alcohol consumption on a limitted basis to the point where you can physically sustain yourself were you want to be.

Easier said than done, but its the truth. Your question is about compromising your goals. tuttut I say don't compromise!... although I end up compromising about 3 times a week! :alcoholic

El Kelio
12-16-2004, 10:08 AM
No guts, no glory.

TheGimp
12-16-2004, 10:26 AM
A few suggestions for damage limitation:

Stick to hard alcohol straight or with a diet mixer for minimum empty calories

Possibly the greatest source of calories during a night of drinking is the fast food that often accompanies it. Avoid this at all costs :) (Not drinking sugary mixers will help as it will avoid a blood sugar crash)

See if you feel-less-inhibited/get-a-buzz/whatever-you-drink-for out of sugar free energy drinks (i.e. Red Bull). Negligible calories and a nice metabolic boost. Makes a nice contrast to empty calories and ****ing with your hormones for a day.

Alternatively just let go those couple of nights a week. Sure it will impact your muscle gains but you should still be able to progress at an albeit slower pace.

Vapour Trails
12-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Drink hard stuff with diet pop.

However, generally in life you have to make hard decisions to accomplish your goals. If you really want to reach your goals, you have to stay at home sometimes. I don't know how many times my friends tried to get me to come out and drink when I was studying for exams in university, but I always said "no" because I had something important I wanted to achieve. Now that I am finished, I can party any night, I own my own house and car at 25 and they still work for nearly minimum wage. Anyway, food for thought.

Digitised
12-16-2004, 11:54 AM
hey vapour i think we have something in common,

got my own place, work for min wage, and ive recently quit social to bulk
i havent got the car but im 23 and its on the list for new year :)

AdmiralDan
12-16-2004, 03:29 PM
i am a college student as well and it is a matter of priorities, just like everything else. i chose to not drink and work on getting huge. i've made some good gains expecially since giving up alcohol. another thing i've heard about drinking is that alcohol actually attacks your muscles. i don't know if this is true, but it is something i've heard.

TheGimp
12-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Well I don't know about "attacking muscles", but alcohol is more than just empty calories. It is the only toxic macronutrient and protein synthesis will be halted until it is metabolised. After a night of heavy drinking this could mean no muscle building for many hours. It will also lower testosterone and growth hormone levels.

mattburns
12-16-2004, 03:59 PM
alcohol is bad. do what i do, buy peanuts :p

the gimp has given you decent advice, you've said yourself you've got the gains after giving up alcohol, you wouldnt want to hinder your progress know would you?

Pringlewheels
12-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Take X instead lol

agentplaya1
12-17-2004, 02:27 AM
no no, X is only for cutting.

FoxTrot
12-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Just the other day I was wondering about how bad alcohol is for a person trying to bulk up. This thread has some good info in it (has helped me out anyways ;) )

I gave up drinking about a month ago, maybe a little longer. Now I have all the more reason to stick to staying away from alcohol.

MixmasterNash
12-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Drink lots of beer and whiskey. There's no way that alcohol will be a major factor in your training unless you drink to extreme excess on a regular basis, compared to the rest of your diet and training.

Rik-s
12-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Heres a bit of info i got from another site, wont put up a link in case the Mods dont like it though :D

Excerpt:
Alcoholic beverages and bodybuilding simply don't mix well. I know that it would be wonderful if it were otherwise, but it's not.

Alcohol is a special form of carbohydrate that not only supplies your body with a denser class of carbohydrates (7 calories per gram—protein and normal carbs boast 4 calories per gram, while a fat gram supplies 9 calories of fuel), but it also seriously screws up the way fuel is burned by your body. Calories earned from alcohol are burned first. Quality carbs, protein, and fat all take a back seat.

Additionally, alcohol consumption increases estrogen, and consequently lowers testosterone. That's not a good thing for someone interested in protecting their hard-earned muscle.

And speaking of muscle—since alcohol acts as a diuretic, it draws water out from your thirsty muscles, leaving you dehydrated (and hung over).

Note also that the food (pretzels, beer nuts, etc) that is normally eaten with beer and other alcoholic beverages is typically saltier. As the evening/afternoon continues (as you increase your alcohol intake), your pallete becomes less picky and you end up eating meals that are not at all balanced.

eclips1
12-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Okay so, no alcohol is ideal, but for some of us not a current reality. I remember last year when I was training hard and tracking everything I put in my body, on a month 2 month basis i cut my alcohol intake to 2-3% of my over all caloric intake. I saw good results with this approach. When I crept up in the 5-7% range my results dropped a lot. Less muscle gains and I put on fat.

FoxTrot
12-18-2004, 10:49 PM
One night of moderate to heavy drinking also can screw up your REM sleep for up to a month :eek:

Vido
12-19-2004, 01:14 AM
One night of moderate to heavy drinking also can screw up your REM sleep for up to a month :eek:

I guess I haven't had proper REM sleep in years then :rolleyes:

Mad Max
12-19-2004, 05:28 AM
I'm in the same situation. The sorry truth of the matter, for me at least, is that you will be slightly alienated from your friends if you don't drink with them. The situation in my flat is ridiculous. Quite literally everyone is a heavy weed smoker, an dnow they're moving on to shrooms, ecstasy and even coke.
Had I not been a conscientious fitness fanatic, I would be doing the same. It's a pity cos' they are my closest friends at uni', but I am slightly alienated from the group cos' I'm the only one who doesn't do that stuff.
Just drink once or twice a week moderately, no more than six units. Make sure you drink plenty of water. The healthiest drink I can think of is vodka and orange, but beer's ok too. Avoid those alchopops at all costs.
Then you can be the one pulling all the ladies, cos you'll be the only one who doesn't look like a sleep deprived alchoholic.

eclips1
12-19-2004, 06:54 PM
I'm in the same situation. The sorry truth of the matter, for me at least, is that you will be slightly alienated from your friends if you don't drink with them. The situation in my flat is ridiculous. Quite literally everyone is a heavy weed smoker, an dnow they're moving on to shrooms, ecstasy and even coke.

I'd move if I were you.

TheGimp
12-20-2004, 04:07 AM
I'd move if I were you.

lol. Agreed.

w8in4what
12-20-2004, 04:22 PM
I'm a 22 year old college dude and a relatively big drinker.

I quit drinking beer around September 10, lift 4 to 5x per week, do 1 hour of cardio at least 3 or 4 times a week, I've maintained a carb-depleted diet, and I've been drinking nothing but rum-and-diets or vodka-and-clubs. Went from 180pd to 155pd in that timespan.

I drink 2, 3 nights a week; 4 or 5 double-talls in a sitting. I have slow metabolism (read as: everyone in my family is fat as hell), and I've still managed to cut down do 12-14% BF in that short timespan.

Erin the Dude

agentplaya1
12-21-2004, 01:08 AM
Had I not been a conscientious fitness fanatic, I would be doing the same. It's a pity cos' they are my closest friends at uni', but I am slightly alienated from the group cos' I'm the only one who doesn't do that stuff.

:whiner:
ok newsflash buddy, if your friends don't like you just because you dont wanna kill your brain cells and destroy your body like they do, then maybe they really arent your friends. If they can't respect the way you choose to live your life then screw em and find yourself some real friends.

not_big_enuf
12-21-2004, 01:12 PM
prioritize period.

what's more important to you right now in your life? do you NEED to go out and feel wanted and have a good time? if so, could you do it without drinking? could you be the designated driver? would your friends understand if you told them you wanted to really be in the best shape and alcohol isn't the best solution?

here's how i look at it, and believe me, i've been where you were.:

this is my decision to do it for myself. i understand i could drink but i don't want to slow my progress down. i want to get to my goals as fast as i can and drinking will simply stall me.

it's all priorities. you're not the devil for going out and having a good time. hell no, in fact, you gotta do that to stay sane, but what's the cost? getting your body in shape, and i mean REALLY in shape is a 24/7 process, it's a lifelong commitment, and it's damn hard work.

when i go to my and my wife's family xmas and i'm not eating like everyone else, they'll say, "what's one day????" and my response will be, "it's one day longer i have to wait to get to my goal." if you really want to do something, you'll do it and you'll show the dedication and perserverance to do it. drinking might slow you down a little bit, and is it worth it to you? to some yes, to some no.

if you've got to do it, diet soda and hard liquor is the best. lite beer can hold you over if you're a beer drinker, limiting yourself to a few is another option. the best option is to be the designated driver and take care of your friends AND stick to your diet.

good luck bro! one thing you have going for you is that you're on this board asking questions, trying to get more info, which is better than 99% of people. it's clear you care for your body, now go and figure out your priorities and how fast you want to get to them. figure out where your will power is, and how much you can take.

regardless, good luck with whatever you do and choose!