PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting enough calories for a bulk diet?

Timastyle
12-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Hey guys. I haven't ever tried to monitor how many calories, protein, carbs, or fats I eat a day. I am curious though whether this is enough or not. I am 5'11", 155lbs. I have just gotten back into the gym. I went for 4 weeks, strained my shoulder, took off 2 weeks and have been back a week and a half since the 2 week layoff. I have gone from 145 to 155 in this time period. I am assuming that most of the gain was due to muscle memory, but I want to get my diet on the right track so I am getting the most out of my workouts.

6:00AM: 3 scoops NLarge2
9:30: 1 Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwhich with 2 slices of wheat bread, 2 fruit roll ups ( I know they aren't good for me, but I love em ), and 1 Gala apple
12:30: 1 or 2 Ham, Turkey, and Cheese Sandwiches with wheat bread, 1 banana, 1 Rice Krsipy Treat, 2 Flavored Yoplait Yogurts, 2 Jellos
4:00: 1 Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich with 2 slices of wheat bread
5:15: Workout
6:30: 3 scoops NLarge2
8:30: Salad, chicken, chicken flavored rice-o-roni

at times I'll through in some more fruit rolls ups and junk food into the mix. What do you guys think? How can I make this diet more effective? I don't like fish, so don't put that into play. It is fairly difficult for me to put on weight, and I want to do it right with the right foods, at least mostly the right foods.

I have a couple more things. I know you guys stuff yourself to eat more even if you're full or not hungry. I really can't do this. It makes me feel sick.

The other thing is that my pre workout meal is on the car ride from the job site to the office. Then an hour and a half later, I go to the gym. If I try having too large a meal or not give myself enough time to digest, I feel sick when I work out.

Thanks for your help guys

Fatguy23
12-15-2004, 11:24 PM
you could try to throw in some more meet other than whats in the sandwich and the chicken at night

ryuage
12-16-2004, 03:04 AM
eat it and see if you gain weight, if so then it is enough.

Timastyle
12-16-2004, 11:38 AM
how much protein, carbs and fat do you guys think i'm getting with that diet

hklifter
12-16-2004, 03:49 PM
with 6 scoops of Nlarge a day, i'd have to say you are easly over maintainence.

Rex
12-16-2004, 04:25 PM
In whole food? Not even close. How many cals in the shakes?

You should drop the shakes and eat more. There's really no excuse. Especially when you're current diet is so poor.

trojan1444
12-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Yeah seriously...your diet consists of PB and jelly sandwiches and junk food. You shouldn't need us to tell you that it's not a proper bulking diet.

Timastyle
12-16-2004, 05:42 PM
I know that my diet isn't the way it should be. Fortunately, I've gained 10lbs of LBM since I started working out again a couple months ago.

i barely get up to get to work on time, let alone have a meal. If I wanted to get up for a meal, i'd have to get up at 4:00am. The way it is, I feel sleep deprivated and overworked. An hour of less sleep a day, won't work for me, so I have a NLarge shake in the morning, and the other is post workout.

I am pretty clueless in eating healthy or how I need to eat during a bulk. Can you guys steer me in the right direction, thanks.

ryuage
12-16-2004, 05:58 PM
look at the sticky what a bodybuilder eats... and no need to lose an hour of sleep. Go to bed an hour earlier.

Titanium_Jim
12-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Get some microwaveable burritos..... In bulk......and eat them ALL the time.

LadyLifter
12-16-2004, 06:10 PM
look at the sticky what a bodybuilder eats... and no need to lose an hour of sleep. Go to bed an hour earlier.
:withstupi

eat as much solid food as you can, but not what you have been eating. eat bodybuilding foods from the post. if you still aren't eating enough to bulk then add the liquid calories like gainer shakes and stuff. nothing is better than solid food as long as you eat the right stuff

Timastyle
12-16-2004, 07:33 PM
i already sleep at 9:00pm at nights, sometimes earlier, sometimes later. I wake up at 5:00am, go to work, come home around 5:00pm, change and go to the gym. come back from the gym, take a shower, eat some dinner, watch an hour of tv and go to sleep. I don't think my days can get more full than this.

I've read the sticky before, but I don't remember it saying about when to eat most of the carbs, fats, protein. Does it make a difference when I eat what?

agentplaya1
12-17-2004, 02:34 AM
Just eat. . . . a lot!! Don't worry about eating carbs at 3pm and fats at 6pm and what not. Just eat damn it! Make sure you're getting at least a gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, meaning 155g for you, although since youre trying to gain I would up that amount. Do you like milk and eggs? Throw some of that in your diet for some extra cals and protein. If you're still not gaining try to wake up in the middle of the night and down a protein shake. Worked for me. Bottom line....................eaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!

Timastyle
12-17-2004, 03:53 PM
I drink about 2 cups of milk a day. I like eggs, i only eat it on the weekends.

RBC13
12-17-2004, 05:37 PM
I drink 5 cups of nonfat milk a day. Tried two, but not enough.