PDA

View Full Version : Confused about how to eat

Slacker
12-16-2004, 03:17 AM
I've been lifting for about 6 months now and of the 6 months 3 of them I added 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week.

I really dont know if I should be eating to bulk or eating to lose weight. Im a fat dude... 250lbs but when I started this I was 275lbs. As of now I try to eat real light throught the day to try and shed some fat but should I increase what I eat in order to pack on more muscle and worry about losing the fat later?

I feel that I have been working out very hard and I see little or no gains in muscle and was wondering if eating light is hurting me... I can feel the muscle difference but it is sure tough to keep going without seeing it :)

TheGimp
12-16-2004, 03:24 AM
You can't really lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, you have to concentrate on one or the other. Personally in such a situation I would concentrate on cutting down to a respectable body fat percentage before bulking. As you've pointed out, being able to see those muscle gains in the mirror will be good motivation.

Digitised
12-16-2004, 06:25 AM
yer definately cut, you are heavy and its not particularly healthy being 19 stone.
Do some searches on how to cut, and plan a decent diet.
Dont be afraid to eat, you cannot starve fat off so not eating enuff id forcing your body to metabolise muscle to compensate for the lack of food.
The effect of CV exercise raises your bodies metabolism (even just 20 mins once every 2 days) and this is enough in many cases to start shifting bodyfat at a steady rate.
You can safely lose 2lbs of fat a week, if u find yourself droppping too fast be vary that it could be muscle and water weight.

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Slacker
12-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the good advice...

I will do a lot more research on this topic as I wanna get started as quickly as possible.

I was originally under the impression I should lose some fat first as well until somone told me that the more muscle I have the faster I would burn fat because lean muscle takes more calories to support. Is this correct or is my thinking all jacked up? :)

Thanks for the welcome as well... I appreciate any advice I can get.

AdmiralDan
12-16-2004, 03:33 PM
that is true. the more lean muscle mass you have, the more calories your body needs. if you look around, many people will tell you to lose first while an equan number will tell you to bulk first. choose what is best for you and go for it

Slacker
12-16-2004, 05:39 PM
Yeah... looks like there is more research in order here :)

Thanks again.

ryuage
12-16-2004, 06:00 PM
at 250 lbs I imagine you would have a decent amount of lbm no matter how fat you were...