PDA

View Full Version : Randy Johneson A Yankee!!!!

briancurran01
12-16-2004, 07:34 PM
WOOHOO THIS IS AWESOME

Yanks reach a deal for Randy

Email this story

Printer friendly format

Photos

Randy Johnson (AP FILE PHOTO)

Randy Johnson (Newsday Photo / Kathy Kmonicek)

Randy good for Yanks?

Is the acquisition of Randy Johnson a good deal for the Yankees?
No.
Yes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read more comments or post your own

BY JON HEYMAN
STAFF WRITER

December 16, 2004, 8:39 PM EST

The Yankees have reached agreement on the principal players in a three-team blockbuster trade that would land them coveted lefthander Randy Johnson, Newsday has learned.

A few details have yet to be worked out, but indications are they are not big enough obstacles to kill the deal.

The Yankees would receive the 41-year-old Johnson in the deal while sending pitcher Javier Vazquez and two minor-league prospects, catcher Dioner Navarro and third baseman Eric Duncan, to the Dodgers, according to an Arizona source. The Dodgers would send pitchers Brad Penny and Yhency Brazoban and outfielder/first baseman Shawn Green to Arizona to complete the deal.

Johnson and Green both have no-trade clauses. Johnson has been requesting a trade to the Yankees for quite a while, so he will surely give his OK. Green's former agent is Jeff Moorad, who currently runs the Diamondbacks, so there's a great likelihood he would also approve the deal.

The other issues involve perks in Johnson's contract and how he would be reimbursed for the loss of them with a trade to the Yankees, such as his tickets to Phoenix Suns games, and physicals for the players involved.

The Yankees are expected to give Johnson a contract extension once the deal goes through.

MrWebb78
12-16-2004, 07:35 PM
I think Seattle is going to be the team to beat this year.

briancurran01
12-16-2004, 07:36 PM
LOL AT LEAST OUR PITCHING WONT BE THE DEATH OF US THIS YEAR

CHECK THIS ROTATION

JOHNSON
MUSSINA
WRIGHT
PAVANO
AND EITHER MILTON/HERNANDEZ DAMN

sorry for the caps i got a little excited there

briancurran01
12-16-2004, 07:37 PM
without pedro our rotaion owns the sox...since you guys didnt get hudson...schilling wont be availalble for opening day your opening starter may be mr bad back wells

MrWebb78
12-16-2004, 07:39 PM
its been an unpredictable offseason so far.

the Braves look to have an awesome rotation adding Hudson today.

Yanks are lookin much better, I still question Wright and Pavano. Hell if the Mets can land Delgado they will look outstanding.

Hopin the Sox grab Clement, Im a little sickened by them signing a42 yr old to a 2 year deal. a 300 lb 42 yr old at that.

MrWebb78
12-16-2004, 07:41 PM
without pedro our rotaion owns the sox...since you guys didnt get hudson...schilling wont be availalble for opening day your opening starter may be mr bad back wells

blah who needs pitching when your teams scores an average of 7 runs a game:)

no the Sox are done for. I hate to but have to agree with Gammons article on espn.com, "if we agreed to giving the yankees 25 more titles just to have our 1, we would do it."

briancurran01
12-16-2004, 07:48 PM
this has been a strange offseason for sure...wells wanted to go to the yankees he called steinbrenner i heard...and was rebuffed lol...so then he goes to the team who's stadium he said he wanted to blow up lol.

Y2A
12-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Zona makes out great on that trade, Penny can play and they get Shawn Green also? Not bad at all. Sox got their championship, they can suck for a while and Ill be fine, much like my Bucs. :swear:

Vido
12-16-2004, 10:13 PM

That's music to my ears, but I hardly think Sexson and Beltre are enough to turn an absolutely pathetic team around. Ever since the late 90's they've had no hitting, so sure those guys help out there, but their pitching was just as bad as their hitting this past year.

BigRic
12-16-2004, 10:23 PM
The Yankees have a Giant freakin payroll.

shootermcgavin7
12-16-2004, 10:30 PM
the Braves look to have an awesome rotation adding Hudson today.

Too bad they traded both of their left fielders and lost their right fielder to Free agency.

Andruw will really have to earn his Gold Glove in 2005....

Stephen Riddington
12-17-2004, 12:32 AM
No confirmed yet, but it'll be a hell of a deal if it goes thru.

I agree with Webb about Wright and Pavano. Both are question marks on the Yankees rotation. But we don't know about until the season starts.

Red Sox was finished, when Martinez left. But I'm still going to cheer for the Red Sox over the Yankees.

The team to look at is Seattle, it's a heck of a improvement for them to get Beltre and Sexson.

Now, who is going to get Delgado, and Beltran??? I think they are probably the only marquee free agents left.

Vido
12-17-2004, 01:13 AM
Red Sox was finished, when Martinez left. But I'm still going to cheer for the Red Sox over the Yankees.

Pedro's not what he once was. I really don't think it's that big a loss, nor do I think there was any justification for the Mets signing him to such a ludicrous contract.

-sin-
12-17-2004, 04:36 AM
Why do the Dodgers and Diamondbacks keep allowing themselves to be fleeced by the Yankees and Redsox? The Dodgers are getting bent over big time if this deal goes through.

MrWebb78
12-17-2004, 04:47 AM
i cant believe the dodgers are killing their team, especially after a playoff year. its as if they dont want to win.

I keep forgetting about Anaheim making huge improvements as well. the AL west should be very entertaining this year. As for Seattle not having pitching, the Sox have proved that you dont need pitching to be a contender. I'm sure they are not done dealing yet either. they will grab some pitching.

lastly, Delgado is an injury risk, and Beltran is too high a price tag still.

MrWebb78
12-17-2004, 04:59 AM
Too bad they traded both of their left fielders and lost their right fielder to Free agency.

Andruw will really have to earn his Gold Glove in 2005....

they are looking at Sosa. they also have a couple prospect possibilities.

there are 3.5 months til opening day, thats plenty of time to grab two outfielders.

briancurran01
12-17-2004, 02:50 PM
sox had pitching last year...what the hell was schilling?? you guys won your championship because of that guy...you won because of your pitching..your hitting came on at the right time to but your pitching by schill sealed the deal

MrWebb78
12-17-2004, 03:34 PM
im not sayin the sox *didnt* have pitching. im saying the last two years they have proven that offense alone can make a contender. they depended more on bats that on arms.

Vido
12-17-2004, 04:16 PM
As for Seattle not having pitching, the Sox have proved that you dont need pitching to be a contender.

Yes, but the Sox have amazing bats. Adding 2 players to an anemic Seattle line-up doesn't put their hitting up anywhere near where the Sox are. I'm a huge Mariners fan, so don't think I'm not hopeful, but I think I'm being realistic that 2 guys aren't going to right the ship for a 99-loss team.

briancurran01
12-17-2004, 04:30 PM
the mariners have a good team if boone can produce, and then they have mister i always get a hit ichiro...those 2 bats will make a pretty big difference...they need some more pitching though...what did you guys think about hudson going to the braves?

their have been alot of big names moving around this year...why is boston so intent on getting rid of manny? his defense sucks but that guys hitting is phenomenal

Stephen Riddington
12-17-2004, 05:54 PM
their have been alot of big names moving around this year...why is boston so intent on getting rid of manny? his defense sucks but that guys hitting is phenomenal

His contact is pretty steep and he can be a defensive liability, as he has shown in this past post-season. I'll say he got pretty lucky for his miscues on the field didn't cost Boston anything. Despite with the uncertainity in their rotation, perhaps his hitting isn't too convincing to makeup for his lack of defensive coverage.

As for Hudson going to Atlanta, it'll help their rotation, but I don't understand why they had to get Kolb from the Brewers, so Smoltz can go back to the rotation. I believe Smoltz was a closer to recover from an injury; but they put him back on rotation, where he was horrible. They put him back on as a closer, which he has excelled in. If I was Atlanta, I won't make Smoltz a starter, why fix it if it ain't broken.

shootermcgavin7
12-18-2004, 09:44 AM
I believe Smoltz was a closer to recover from an injury; but they put him back on rotation, where he was horrible. They put him back on as a closer, which he has excelled in.

The last season Smoltz was a full-time starter, he won 24 games and a Cy Young. I wouldn't call that "horrible"

Stephen Riddington
12-18-2004, 04:28 PM
Shooter,

After he had fully recovered from his injury, they put him on the rotation, he didn't do well, so he went back to being a closer. The injury occured after his Cy Young year, I believe he fizzled the following year.

Stephen Riddington
12-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Looks like the deal has gone a bit complex. Yankees is aiming to get Ishii from the Dodgers.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/12/18/johnson.megadeal.saturday.ap/index.html

shootermcgavin7
12-18-2004, 07:40 PM
Shooter,

After he had fully recovered from his injury, they put him on the rotation, he didn't do well, so he went back to being a closer. The injury occured after his Cy Young year, I believe he fizzled the following year.

Oh well, I guess we have a different definition of "fizzling"; his ERA during the years after his Cy Young season as a starter were 3.02, 2.90, and 3.19. In 1998 he went 17-3.

After his Tommy John surgery he was moved to the bullpen because of concerns of 200 IP season on his elbow, not because he was any less effective. That was immediately after this surgery, doctors have cleared him to start this season.

Am I still concerned about his forearm ending up at 3rd base after a slider?

Yes

Do I still feel better about having Smoltz in there than Ortiz or Paul Byrd or Jared Wright?

Yes.

Stephen Riddington
12-18-2004, 08:46 PM
I'm sure there would be concerns, but I'm not too worried about Atlanta, since they'll probably win the division for the upteenth time. I'm not a fan of the Braves, though but I thought the move was pretty surprising.

MrWebb78
12-18-2004, 09:00 PM
It is Smoltz' decision to become a starter again. he said he wanted to try the rotation, and if him arm fails again he will retire. He doesn't want to end his career in the bullpen.

MrWebb78
12-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Yes, but the Sox have amazing bats. Adding 2 players to an anemic Seattle line-up doesn't put their hitting up anywhere near where the Sox are. I'm a huge Mariners fan, so don't think I'm not hopeful, but I think I'm being realistic that 2 guys aren't going to right the ship for a 99-loss team.

Ichiro got 262 hits last year and only scored 101 runs. I dont mean to say ONLY as if it is a bad stat, but when he reaches base 262 times + walks, thats a pretty crappy number of runs scored. Now with a deeper lineup, RBI machines like Beltre and a hopefully healthy Sexson will be able to take advantage of having one of the games premier lead off men in front of them.

I'm not saying they are world series contenders already, but I do think the addition of these two stars is a HUGE deal for them.

Vido
12-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Webb, I agree that the acquisitions were a HUGE deal. I was disagreeing with this initial quote:

You seem to have changed your position now to one I agree with much more.

MrWebb78
12-19-2004, 04:27 PM
ok, i admit i overuse the phrase "team to beat". what i mean by that is not that they are already world series champs, but definately a playoff team. now if only 8 teams can make the playoffs, that in my opinion makes them a "team to beat".

i do believe that the M's and the Angels will be in the postseason, Along with the Tigers and Sox/Yanks(whoever wins this year). but the wild card will come from the west again.

Side notes as to the Hudson comment earlier. The braves rotation is looking awesome again, like the mid-90's. They will have Hudson, Smoltz, Hampton, Thompson, Ramirez. is Smoltz/Ramirez stay healthy, i say that is five 15+ game winners for a starting rotation. I know, bold prediction, especially for a team not known for offense, and at times flaky. but damn, i wouldnt mind that rotation.

Shao-LiN
12-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Yah, Ichiro is a great hitter and base runner, but 2 nice acquisitions won't make Seattle the team to beat. They'll be a contender now, no doubt, but they still need to improve.

With the Big Unit on the mound for the Yankees, they'll definately be a team to beat, though.

GIS
12-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Being in seattle, I have been an M's fan for quite some time.

Offensively the M's will compete with the best. Good combo of speed, OBP, and power now.

The pitching is unpredictable. Franklin, Meche, and peniero have had shining moments, but they have yet to prove themself down the stretch. Moyer is old, but might be a good 4 or 5 starter. Our pitching last year really seemed to be mental because they are better than they showed. Unfortunately, I'd compare them to last year's Cardinals rotation if they pitch at their best. A bunch of capable pitchers, but the team lacks a good Ace and even #2 starter. Now if we still had that Randy guy...

GIS
12-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Oh, and I don't think the West will produce the wild card. The east is far too strong with the New York/Boston powerhouses. I'll say the final results will be:

East Champ: New York
West Champ: Anaheim
Central Champ: White sox (A stretch, but I see the Twins slipping)
Wild Card: Boston

MrWebb78
12-19-2004, 09:52 PM
hey, im the one guy here that actually predicted the Sox to make history and come back from 0-3, that gives me the right to have my opinions left alone without question. i am all knowing at baseball!:)

I question the Sox this year. they have an old injured Schilling who will miss X amount of starts, Clement is an awesome addition(he will win 20 games this year), but then Wells, Wakefield, and a flaky Arroyo. I don't know what to expect, but I don't see them as good as this past year.