PDA

View Full Version : lack of quality food on vacation - help!

dissipate
12-16-2004, 08:48 PM
i'm going to be in thailand for 5 days beginning this sunday and travelling around... there might not be supermarkets around for me to get tuna and i'm guessing i'm only going to have 3 meals at a table for those 5 days. i figure i'm going to be really hungry in between and would still like to keep to 5 or 6 meals a day, and am wondering if i should bring along some protein bars or normal health bars? protein bars are about $9 per bar here which is a little expensive for me so i'm also wondering if there's a cheaper alternative.

help!

Manveet
12-16-2004, 09:13 PM
9$ per protein bar? Where the hell do you live?

I suggest investing in a nice quality meal replacement powder. However, I'm sure you could find food over in Thailand, if you really wanted to.

Vampiro
12-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Most of America's tuna products and salmon products (canned) are from Thailand, dont worry, youll find plenty of protein there, just dont go crazy with the chips and peanut dipping sauce, well the sauce is good

dissipate
12-16-2004, 09:29 PM
singapore :P i went into a supplements shop and picked up a myoplex bar. turned it over. looked at the price tag. $9. put it back and walked out of the shop lol.

i'm going to be sightseeing away from the city and supermarkets from early morning till evening that's why heh.

Patz
12-16-2004, 09:37 PM
I remember when that punk kid got caned in singapore. I thought he deserved it. A little hardcore, yet not mutilating punishment like that in the US, and we'd be a much safer place.

I say if you're going on vacation, take a diet vacation. EAT

And don't sightsee too far..you're seen "The Beach" hven't you? That was Thailand I think.

dissipate
12-16-2004, 10:00 PM
mrelwooddowd: lol!

yeah a lot of people thought the caning was too severe... however in singapore, owning a car costs around $100k unlike the U.S. so you can imagine how precious our cars are to us.

i do want to eat, and i want to eat at least 5 meals a day. yes, i've seen "The Beach"... i'm not going THAT far :P

thajeepster
12-16-2004, 10:26 PM
there are plenty of supermarkets in thailand, and you can buy tuna just like any other country.

Vido
12-16-2004, 10:38 PM

agreed

PizDoff
12-17-2004, 01:34 AM
$9 China dollars?

Have fun!

ryuage
12-17-2004, 03:06 AM
eat some pad thai and padd see ew...oh and get it with chicken for your protein :) yummmy haha

fen2zla
12-17-2004, 05:15 AM

:withstupi

Its only for 5 days. Just go and enjoy yourself.

dissipate
12-17-2004, 09:52 AM
okok!! thank you :)

manowar669
12-18-2004, 11:22 AM
His concerns may be well founded depending on his size. A friend of mine here went to Thailand about 6 months ago to Muay Thai school, and lost about 20 pounds. He was there for 3 weeks. In all fairness, he is one big bastard, at about 5'10" 245lbs (not natural). He was extremely active with this training. The protein was there, with plenty of chicken/fish, just not the bulk calories to maintain someone his size.
I told him he should have killed one of the other students, and kept his corpse under the bunk for added protein when needed. I don't think the Thai government could extradite him.

Olive Drab
12-18-2004, 11:50 AM
I am in the same situation. I am over here in Iraq and have to eat whatever the messhall offers. What I do is have certain foods like natural peanut butter and tuna sent over from home to supplement the meals. When choosing food It comes down to eating the best of the worst since 80% of the meals here have ****ty nutritional values.

manowar669
12-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Army chow does suck nutrionally (at least it did in my day 15 years ago). Plenty of calories (all starch). Get vitamins sent to ya. I think food is probably the least of your worries.

fen2zla
12-18-2004, 08:37 PM
His concerns may be well founded depending on his size. A friend of mine here went to Thailand about 6 months ago to Muay Thai school, and lost about 20 pounds. He was there for 3 weeks.

Dissiptae is only going for a quarter of that time for a vacation, and probably not much physical activity. Weight and muscle loss will be insignificant. I dont think it will make any difference at all as long as he eats something.

BTW, have a nice trip Dissipate!!