PDA

View Full Version : Are egg yolks that bad?

Mad Max
12-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Well are they?

Manveet
12-17-2004, 11:38 AM
no.

ryuage
12-17-2004, 11:47 AM
:withstupi

Mad Max
12-17-2004, 12:02 PM
So why do bodybuilders cut them out of their diet? I know they contain fat, but bodybuilders need fat, so why don't they just eat them?

ryuage
12-17-2004, 12:10 PM
bodybuilders eat yolks, so I dont know where you get that from... they may eat more egg whites then egg yolks, if that is what you are referring to.

Mad Max
12-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Well they do try and cut out most of the egg yolks don't they? Even if they don't cut out all of them, there must be a reason for cutting out some of them.

mmac
12-17-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm sure an expert will fill you in better. But egg yolks contain high amounts of cholesterol and a contain most of the fat in an egg. The egg whites are pretty much pure protein. I think for someone like me who eats maybe 4 eggs per day, eating the yolk is no big deal. Some bodybuilders will eat 10-12 eggs per serving. In best regards to their arteries, I think they cut out the yolks. Just a thought though.

Vido
12-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Well they do try and cut out most of the egg yolks don't they? Even if they don't cut out all of them, there must be a reason for cutting out some of them.

It's all about getting the most out of your calories. Most people are eating eggs for the protein, not the fat...although the fat has its own benefits. The thing is there are better sources of fat, ie., flax/olive/fish oils, etc.

If you're limited to only eating a certain number of calories on your diet, whether it's cutting or bulking, you want the most out of those calories. If you're eating eggs for the protein, you can get half the protein (because half is in the whites, half is in the yolks) for about 1/5 of the calories of eating the whole egg. Basically, it's all about efficiency. That's MY reasoning anyway, for whenever I choose to eat egg whites over whole eggs.

The actual reason is probably more along the lines of people being ill-informed and thinking that dietary cholesterol plays a large role in determining blood cholesterol.