PDA

View Full Version : Nash's grip equipment pics

MixmasterNash
12-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Here are some pics of my (mostly) home-made grip/strength training equipment.

The first shows a Bachar ladder, named after the climber, which is made from nylon rope and pvc. The pvc has an external diameter of 1.75". I haven't actually used this yet, so I'm a loser.

The second shows some bars. The top, white bar, is a galvanized pipe covered in cloth tape and filled with sand. It's probably 15-20lbs. I use it for all sorts of levering, like a sledge. The middle dowel with the chain attached was intended to be used for dowel lifting, but I still don't have any weights. It went unused until I hooked it to my chining bar and did some one arm BW rows with it. Awesome exercise. The bottom bar is a dowel for wrist roll-ups, and I've never used it because I've been doing roll ups on the PVC over my chinup bar.

The third shows two CoC grippers, a Trainer and #1, and two ~40lb sandbags.

The forth shows my climbing hangboard by Franklin, and my chinup bar. The big PVC pipe is 3.5" ext. dia. and hard as hell to do a pullup on. I can rep with mixed grip; underhand is impossible; overhand, I can get one or so. Underneath is a 1.75" pvc bar covering the actual metal chinup bar. Pretty quick and easy to switch out the pvc tubes.

Last are my gymnastics "rings," which have the most training potential. They are 1.75" ext. dia. pvc tubes connected via cordlette (the red strings) to the gree tubular webbing. I have a ton of webbing, and I could probably string these up to a 20' tree branch. These are fully and precisely adjustable, with the auto-clamping mechanism you can see at the very bottom. Pullups are pretty easy, but dips are very difficult. I 'm working on muscle ups at the moment.

Did I waste an inordinate amount of time and effort making this stuff? If the goal was simply the equipment, then probably, yes. However, I really, really like making stuff so it was rather enjoyable. And it was all rather cheap. Two two CoC grippers or the hangboard cost about as much as everything else put together.

lilmase1153
12-18-2004, 11:25 AM
some pretty cool stuff nash... especially those rings they look fun. good job bulding those it always feels cool to know you made something taht actually works...

galileo
12-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Are you good with the CoC's? When I was about 155lbs I trained with them heavily and got the #2 down to 1/8". I figured I'd be able to get it once I gained weight, but my training slipped since then.

MixmasterNash
12-18-2004, 11:45 AM
I totally suck with the CoC's. I can barely close the trainers. Apparently, most climbers simply suck at grippers. It's a totally different kind of strength than climbing finger strength and weight lifting grip strength, where I have above decent grip strength. So, I'm training to improve it.

galileo
12-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Well, if you follow some of the synaptic facilitation techniques (every day to non-failure type stuff) you can progress really fast. I went through the T and #1 in a few weeks when I was a fairly weak guy.

MixmasterNash
12-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Well, I basically just went and closed both the T and almost the #1 with no warmup, just showing them to my friends. Being fresh makes a world of difference. I guess I was usually crushing after other grip stuff.

I'm leaving the crushers out for regular, perhaps every other day, use. There are also good for long road trips -- like 6.5 hours in zero visibility rain and bumper-to-bumper traffic from DC to NJ. That sucked.

Sybersnott
11-01-2005, 02:50 PM
I totally suck with the CoC's. I can barely close the trainers. Apparently, most climbers simply suck at grippers. It's a totally different kind of strength than climbing finger strength and weight lifting grip strength, where I have above decent grip strength. So, I'm training to improve it.

I was the opposite... I could close the Trainer and the #1 right off the bat. Took me three weeks to close the #2, and another two years of grip training before I could close the #3 on a regular basis.

It took me two years because I was kinda lazy and I suffered a hand injury which I had to recover from. I am now back to near 100% strength now.

Sidior
11-01-2005, 06:37 PM
wow this thread is old

MixmasterNash
11-05-2005, 07:38 PM
wow this thread is old

But the guy who started it is still dead sexy!

Here's a new pic of my weight pile and my new and improved parallettes.

[[[----]]]
11-05-2005, 07:48 PM
That hangboard looks pretty crucial. How long can you hang from that thing for?

[[[----]]]
11-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Like on the outer grips

MixmasterNash
11-05-2005, 08:20 PM
There are jugs on the top outside, and I suppose I could hang on them for a long, long time, but I've never tried. I do complexes of hangs, chins, and movement between the different grips like the pinches, slopers and crimps, which last 30 secs or so.