PDA

View Full Version : Too much splenda?

trojan1444
12-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Is there any downside of taking in too much splenda? I know it has no calories, but since it's made of dextrose and maltodextrin I figure it couldn't be too great.....

usertim
12-18-2004, 12:28 PM
I saw the splenda commercial, haven't tried it yet.. but was thinking to my self... "what the hell is this stuff"?

waynis
12-18-2004, 09:28 PM
" It's made from sugar so it taste like sugar" As far as i know you urinate any remains of it in your system. It passes threw very quick. It really hasn't been out that long to know any side effects. I use it when I drink tea. I don't take in a high amount of it in but once in awhile i'll get a protein shake that has it in it. MY optimum protein is sweetened by acelfume potassium. I am seeing splenda or sucralose in a lot of protien powders now.

Vampiro
12-19-2004, 08:17 PM
splenda has 2 cals. (.5g of carb) per packet, so it isn't really calorie free like liquid sweet N' low, but splenda taste better. i dont think its too bad in moderation, but dont go overboard. Have you ever tried Stevia, thats pretty good.

waynis
12-19-2004, 09:03 PM
stevia would definetly be the best alternative. Some people react to it though. With me I get a burning sensation on the roof of my mouth.

malkore
12-21-2004, 09:20 AM
I've heard bad opinions on stevia, so I've avoided it. I love splenda, but I don't use a lot. They bond the sugar molecule to a chlorine molecule so your body can't process it. One radical activist group thinks splenda's the devil. But since I don't like sacchrine, and nutrasweet leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, I stick to splenda. 2 packets in my coffee, 1 packet in my oatmeal, and that's my daily intake.

WatchThisSpace
12-21-2004, 10:11 AM
I really don't understand that advert for Splenda at all.

"My mum likes my NO SUGAR cakes"
"The kids like NO SUGAR ice-cream"
Blah blah blah...

Then the lady goes...
Splenda, made from SUGAR but half the calories...
Erm... I thought you said no sugar?

Blood&Iron
12-21-2004, 10:36 AM
I really don't understand that advert for Splenda at all.

"My mum likes my NO SUGAR cakes"
"The kids like NO SUGAR ice-cream"
Blah blah blah...

Then the lady goes...
Splenda, made from SUGAR but half the calories...
Erm... I thought you said no sugar?
They've got a "new" Splenda intended for baking (the original apparently doesn't work well). It's half Splenda, half sugar. Guess it's for lazy people who can't be bothered to mix the two themselves.

galileo
12-21-2004, 10:42 AM
:withstupi

not_big_enuf
12-21-2004, 01:00 PM
would it be Splugar then? half Splenda, half Sugar?

Pringlewheels
12-21-2004, 02:20 PM
would it be Splugar then? half Splenda, half Sugar?

lol

that is probably the grossest sounding word ever

malkore
12-21-2004, 02:26 PM
hehe, or Sugda? that one might pass through marketing.

My wife made oatmeal cookies with splenda. it was ok. she used a very small amount of brown sugar, so the cookies would brown. they were very dense though...but in terms of a 'heathly' treat on a clean diet, they were ok in my book.

not_big_enuf
12-21-2004, 02:42 PM
my wife made Peanut Butter Fudge with Splenda... holy crap was it good...

* 8 oz cream cheese
* 1 cup Splenda
* 1 oz. unsweetened baker's chocolate
* 1/4 cup heavy cream
* 4 teaspoons peanut butter

Melt cream cheese and peanut butter in microwave for approx 2 minutes, stopping and stirring at 1 minute intervals. Melt chocolate in separate bowl until creamy. Combine chocolate with cream cheese mixture and whisk in Splenda and cream. Pour into buttered glass pan and chill at least 4 hours.

Cut in squares and enjoy. (This recipe yields a more "gooey" fudge than traditional fudge, but if you want more uniform squares, place pan in freezer for 30 minutes before cutting.)

Cut into 16 pieces 3.8 grams net carbohydrate per piece.

GMCtrk
12-21-2004, 02:54 PM
My protein powder has splenda in it