PDA

View Full Version : the can lies

AzBboy
12-18-2004, 09:38 PM
do you guys usually take the can's word for it on how much servings per can? i use to just gobble down a can of fruit that claimed it had a cup and a half of fruit or a can of tuna that claimed it had about 3/4 cup per can. it usually says like : serving size: 1/4 cup servings per container: about3 then it goes on to tell u how much of the macros u get per serving. so in tuna, for instance, i'd gobble the can then since it said 3 servings per can just mark my macros in my journal for the three servings. but one day i actually measured it out. a supposed 3 serving can had barely 2 servings. then i started measuring EVERYTHING i eat canned...none met their lable claim! so its like... i been logging myself this WHOLE TIME more nutrition than i actually ate...to others that do this, please, go by the measurement of the serving size rather than going by how much servings the can claims to contain.

jazer80
12-22-2004, 10:48 AM
wait you're saying that foods are not weighing what the label claims? seems like they could get in lots of trouble for that

galileo
12-22-2004, 11:50 AM
The tuna thing, I've observed as well. 2 servings per can instead of the listed 2.5. May have something to do with how strained it is, but I just pick one figure and stick to it.

RBC13
12-22-2004, 12:09 PM
That is an estimate. What you do is see how much the net weight is, and divide that by the weight of the serving size. You will have your exact answer there. Remember 28.3 grams in an ounce, 16 ounces in a pound. 28.3*16=? grams in a pound.

Vapour Trails
12-22-2004, 12:24 PM
Try not use volumes for solid food, go by mass. I'm sure you could compress a 1/2 cup of tuna into a 1/4 cup if you wanted.

thajeepster
12-22-2004, 10:55 PM
i wrote chicken of the sea about the servings in a can of tuna, they wrote me back without really answering my question. Yeah usually its only around 90g of the claimed 140g of tuna in a can. They said it had something to do with labeling laws or something like that, they did however give me some coupons for free tuna. So I ended up pretty happy, 4 free coupons for up to 2.00 each. Sweet.

agentplaya1
12-23-2004, 01:18 AM
:omg: oh wow, i'm gonna write chicken of the sea right now!

jazer80
12-23-2004, 09:39 AM
that's crazy i was under the impression that if a package weight was not accurate they were in trouble. seems like nothing more than a false advertisement / lie. i can see volumes not working due to products settling, but not weighing right is bs