PDA

View Full Version : Cardio before breakfast

WILLGETNICE
12-19-2004, 09:12 AM
I read that doing cardio before your first meal of the day is more beneficial for burning fat and you get more out of your cardio exercises than if you were to do them after eating or drinking anything. Is this true? It said something about how after fasting throughout the night your body would need to use left over glucose and fat that was stored in your body so you would be burning off that rather than if you ate prior to doing cardio. It also had a bunch of stuff about blood sugar levels in the a.m. but I'm not really familiar with that stuff. Any advice?

Lexxi
12-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Yes, this is true. Your body is relying primarily on fat for fuel early in the morning.

Doobs
12-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Your body is relying primarily on fat for fuel early in the morning.
Fat and muscle.

WILLGETNICE
12-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Fat and muscle.

So would I be losing muscle if i ran before eating?

Rik-s
12-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Your bodys lacking energy first thing in the morning, so when you do cardio without eatin your putting yourself into a catabloic state were you start burning up muscle as well as fat. Eat an apple or a banana 30 mins b4 you run, or have a high carb drink. At least then you dont have to make the compromise.

Also afterwards it would be a good idea to have a good breakfast as soon as possible, and if your doing lifting do it before your cardio. Sure if i'm wrong on any of this peeps will be quick enough to correct me lol :D

AdmiralDan
12-19-2004, 01:19 PM
i would suggest a protein shake before and after your run. that way you can burn fat and reduce muscle loss

GonnabeBig
12-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Are you sure it matters? I was pretty sure that for the first 15 minutes of aerobic activity at 60%-80% of you VO2 max, it was impossible to get the majority of your ATP from fats stores no matter what you do or do not have in your system, but by 20 minutes, over 95% of your energy will come from fat stores... I'll try to find some backing on that one.

_8_Ball
12-20-2004, 09:17 AM
I believe this topic has been discussed to death... please use the search to find more topics...

BUT... :) in my opinion, it all depends what you do in the morning, if you just going to have a walk on the treadmill at a moderate rate for a short period of time, then you should be fine. If your planning on running or doing any other type of intense cardio, then I would suggest that you take something before your cardio...

I think muscle loss can be highly minimized with BCAA + Glutamine is taken before your empty stomach cardio...

However, everyone seems to have an opinion on this, so you do what works for you...

Try the morning cardio and look at what results you get from it...