PDA

View Full Version : Akins Phase 1

muscle chic
12-19-2004, 10:17 AM
How much fat loss should you expect in the first two weeks of induction on Atkins? I'm at 24% Bf now. I think this will work good for me to gain muscle and lose BF%.

Shark
12-19-2004, 10:53 AM
Atkins will not work well for you to gain muscle and lose bodyfat. I am not sure where you read that but it is not correct. You are not going to lose that much fat during induction either. You will lose scale weight, but it will mostly be water weight and carb depletion. You may also shed a pound or two of body fat but there are much healthier ways to do that. Also, in your carb depleted state building new muscle tissue is going to be very hard.

You need to get a regular diet going, 6 meals, healthey fats, lean protein, complex carbs. Get that in order and add some cardio a few times a week and lifting. That will get you in better shape and help you stay there.

muscle chic
12-19-2004, 01:52 PM
I've been lifting for a year now and I'm in great shape. I'm still eating healthy fats and protein along with lots of veges. After reading the atkins site it looks pretty good and states that the water weight loss is untrue. I can add carbs in in two weeks and continue adding them in every week. Eventually it will just be a low carb life style. I've already added 10 pounds of muscle this year. ( Not on atkins) I'm giving this a try and I will be seeing my trainer for measurement results.

shootermcgavin7
12-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Atkins will not work well for you to gain muscle and lose bodyfat. I am not sure where you read that but it is not correct. You are not going to lose that much fat during induction either. You will lose scale weight, but it will mostly be water weight and carb depletion. You may also shed a pound or two of body fat but there are much healthier ways to do that. Also, in your carb depleted state building new muscle tissue is going to be very hard.

You need to get a regular diet going, 6 meals, healthey fats, lean protein, complex carbs. Get that in order and add some cardio a few times a week and lifting. That will get you in better shape and help you stay there.

Chris, when I started BBing, I used CKD and could cut almost 10 lbs of fat during a month long cut.

I've never used Atkins, but you aren't losing just water weight, as long as you're in a deficit then you'll lose fat.

Granted, I've used a more balanced diet to cut lately, but I still think CKD has a place (or I know some people have more recently used UD2.0).

I am 100% in agreement with you on Atkins not being very good for BBing, though. I dont' think that low-carb cycles should be completely written off, though.

Paul Stagg
12-19-2004, 03:23 PM
In the first couple of weeks, you'll lose quite a bit of weight, but the fat loss will be about what it would be on any diet of that calorie level.

Straight up Atkins isn't something i would suggest for a lifter - I think a TKD or CKD would be a much better option.

ryuage
12-19-2004, 03:46 PM
yes if fitness/bb is your goal I would not suggest atkins bur rather a more cyclic type diet or even a tkd with carbs centered pre and post workout.

Shao-LiN
12-19-2004, 08:37 PM
Atkins isn't the diet you want to be on while weight lifting. It's for the people who don't really exercise and diet all that much.

BigRic
12-19-2004, 08:52 PM
yah, if you do any sort of exercise, it's not really a good diet, I couldn't imagine running and training on almost 0 carbs.

Shark
12-19-2004, 10:11 PM
I've been lifting for a year now and I'm in great shape. I'm still eating healthy fats and protein along with lots of veges. After reading the atkins site it looks pretty good and states that the water weight loss is untrue. I can add carbs in in two weeks and continue adding them in every week. Eventually it will just be a low carb life style. I've already added 10 pounds of muscle this year. ( Not on atkins) I'm giving this a try and I will be seeing my trainer for measurement results.

Reading the site is one thing, doing it is another. As Paul stated, the fat you lose in the first few weeks will similar to any other diet you stick to. The real benefit of the low carb lifestyle is its effect on suppresing your appetite. The water weight loss is absolutley true. Don't be fooled into thinking otherwise.

I think where you might be a little confused is with muscle gain. You're not going to gain muscle on atkins. Don't get caught up in all the hype. It's not for people who lift and want to gain muscle. Its for lazy people who don't want to exercise and eat right. You're in way to good a shape to jepordize your muscle mass by low carbing.

Try a CKD or TDK... there's lots of info here in the forums that can help you.

muscle chic
12-20-2004, 09:03 AM
What is CKD and TDK?

TheGimp
12-20-2004, 09:17 AM
CKD - Cyclical Ketogenic Diet. Low carb/low cal days are cycled with high carb/high cal carb loads in order to lost fat and gain muscle "at the same time".

TKD - Targetted Ketogenic Diet. Carbs are restricted to pre/post workout only in order to provide energy for the workout and shuttle protein into the muscles respectively. The advantages of being in ketosis are gained for most of the day while the anabolic advantages of the workout are not lost.