PDA

View Full Version : Question about sugar alcohols and "net carbs"

trojan1444
12-20-2004, 06:16 PM
On a lot of protein bars it says "only 2 net carbs" or something, because they don't count sugar alcohol which doesn't spike insulin like other carbs.

So is it better to get 25 carbs in the form of sugar alcohol from a protein bar than it is to get 25 carbs from a slice or two of whole grain bread?

For example, for lunch I could have tuna in a whole wheat pita, or a big protein bar, and the calories/protein/carbs would come out to be around the same.....so is one better than the other?

malkore
12-21-2004, 09:17 AM
I'd go for tuna and a whole wheat pita. the pita can be converted to energy stores (glycogen), plus it has a little fiber. Sugar alcohols don't provide either.

raniali
12-21-2004, 12:03 PM
i believe that too many sugar alcohols can cause digestive issues. the truth is - they both contain calories. eat for the moment - if you need carbs, don't consume items high in sugar alcohols (i.e., pre or post-w/o), but if you want a 'light' snack, then perhaps a low-carb bar is in order.

Vampiro
12-21-2004, 07:35 PM
Whenever i eat sugar alcohol (from a low carb bar or anything) i feel sick and theres also a warning on most sugar alcohol bars saying they have a laxative effect. HMMMmm, if you wnat a low carb bar by the way snickers made a pretty tasty one, 160 cal/ 14pro/7fiber, something like 3 "net carbs", i eat them if i need a sugar fix but im like a few days away from a refeed or cheat.

JTyrell710
12-21-2004, 08:26 PM
its a wellknown fact that sugar alcohols cause stomach irritation

Adam
12-21-2004, 08:51 PM
sugar alcohols MUST be consumed in moderation by most people. Otherwise your GI track won't like ya.