PDA

View Full Version : Football players

rlt743
12-20-2004, 07:12 PM
What type of lifting is better for me, for, football Powerlifting or Olympic lifting? I want to get faster and stronger for the football season coming up. I already do a lot of plyos. I'm 5'8" and 222 Ibs. I play guard on the offensive line. I'm in high school. I have pretty good lower body strength but not very good upper body strength.

Adam
12-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Oly lifting, but, you need a good coach to show you how to do the movess.
so, probly powerlifting if ya have no coach.

AdmiralDan
12-20-2004, 07:50 PM
i don't know how this would classify, but my school used the Bigger Faster Stronger program and we have gone from a team that made the playoffs every year but didn't make it very far(while i was there) to making the state champioship game this year. lifting wise, we did half bench, and box squats on mondays, deadlifts and powercleans on wednesdays and full bench full squat on friday.(we also did a few auxilary exercises such as curls, tricep extensions, etc. along with the core lifts) we did these lifts in combination with speed drills. you can do a google search to find more results. many people from my school, myslef included, saw amazing results from the program. i know that this may not be exactly what you are looking for, but i have seen the amazing things that this has done first hand

NiXBoY11
12-20-2004, 09:13 PM
My school also uses the bigger faster stronger program, its our first year but i my self have seen a huge increase over the first month. My box squat has gone from 225 to 415, which helped me get out of my platue with my parallel squat and now i can squat from my 195 i got to 225. i also bench from 95 before to 165 now. if you want a copy of what it looks like ill give u the details i got copies of my sheets.

Adam
12-20-2004, 09:39 PM
225 to 415 eh?
i hope thats a typo.

Ares
12-20-2004, 10:38 PM
He meant to say his weight went from 225 to 415, compliments of bigger fatter slower..

The_Brick
12-21-2004, 01:04 AM
My school also uses the bigger faster stronger program, its our first year but i my self have seen a huge increase over the first month. My box squat has gone from 225 to 415, which helped me get out of my platue with my parallel squat and now i can squat from my 195 i got to 225. i also bench from 95 before to 165 now. if you want a copy of what it looks like ill give u the details i got copies of my sheets.

Actually I wouldn't mind a copy of that, if you could do that would be great thanks.

AdmiralDan
12-21-2004, 07:16 AM
his numbers are a little crazy for the first month, but it does work. in the matter of a year, in which i only lifted for 6 of those months (because i was a stupid high school student who didn't understand much about weightlifting) i was able to take my bench from 175 to 255, squat from 275(at a little above paralell) to 405(at paralell) and my deadlift from 365 to 635(with belt, straps and spotter). during the same time, we also did speed drills that took my 40 time from 5.5 to 5.2. i wasn't the only one either; there were a bunch of guys who saw the same reslults from this program.

Adam
12-21-2004, 09:17 AM
why did you have a spotter on deads?

Brad Cardoza
12-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Stick to the olympic movements. There are plenty of resources online that can show you proper technique and progressions. Train fast and you'll become fast. Stick to these

hi pull
power clean
hang clean

snatch pull
power snatch
hang snatch
1 arm snatch

push press
push jerk
btn push press
btn push jerk

AdmiralDan
12-21-2004, 11:32 AM
i had a spotter because it was how i was taught; we did it for "safety" reasons. we also used a hex bar instead of a staight bar. over time methods have improved and the lifts are more of what they are supposed to be

BigRic
12-21-2004, 11:35 AM
This is my routine for 4 weeks until I start training with my trainer again.
Monday: Squats/Quads
Squats
Lunges
Step ups
Tuesday: Shoulders
DB shoulder Press
Seated Lateral Raises
High Pulls
Wednesday: Hamstrings
Good Morning
Laying Hamstring Curls
Thursday: Back and Biceps
Pullups
BB rows
Cable rows
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Power Day
Cleans
Deadlifts
SLDL
Sunday: Chest and Triceps
BB Bench press
Incline DB Press
Cable Flys
Skull Crushers SS w/ CLose Grip Bench
OverHead Tricep Extension
One Arm Cable Pull down.

BigRic
12-21-2004, 11:36 AM
Then Once I get back to training with my trainer will add in probably some 1/4 squats, explosive high pulls, lots of different things. This is just to get thing moving again.

Sensei
12-21-2004, 11:53 AM
I'm not a big fan of BFS. It's not a bad program if you don't have any background whatsoever and you just need something somewhat systematic, but there are a lot better programs out there.

There are a lot of success stories w. BFS because there are a lot of athletes using the program. Also, being young & novices, most will make gains on just about any kind of program.

I have a lot of specific gripes that I could share, but that would probably be better in a separate thread.

I think BFS does an adequate job of getting novices bigger and stronger, but definately not faster.

Admiral, I'm just curious, but when you say deadlift, do you mean a 'hex bar deadlift'? Did you have the high handles on the hex bar? And when you say 'spotter', do you mean 'helper' or 'spotter'? Sorry to be skeptical, but 365 to 635 is a ridiculous amount of gain in 6 MONTHS!

bIgHwN86
12-21-2004, 12:50 PM
i say westside but that is my answer to everything...so idk..lots of success stories with athletes using westside..those can be seen on joedefranco.com...

The_Brick
12-21-2004, 07:42 PM
I'm keen to know exactly what a spotter in a deadlift does. I have never seen or heard of a deadlift spotter in my 3 years of weightlifting. I really can't imagine what a spotter would actually do or in what way it could possibly prevent injury.

Adam
12-21-2004, 08:41 PM
I 'spot' when teaching people how to do deads, just so i can show them how to lean back and not be worried. Other then that, theres no need/use for one.

Isaac Wilkins
12-22-2004, 04:06 AM
I enjoy having people I don't like spot me on power cleans and snatches.

:cool:

AdmiralDan
12-22-2004, 08:25 AM
first off, the handles on the hex bar were mabye an inch higher than a regular olympic bar. second, the spotter is more of a "helper" i guess. they would stand behind you and off to one side and put one hand on your lower back and one on your chest. their job was to keep your body in the proper position. it was a poor substitute for teaching us good form, but it was a step in the right direction for our school. by the end of my senior year, the school had paid a guy from BFS to hold a seminar on how to do stuff right and had us using proper form from that point on. i agree that 365 to 635 is a huge jump, but i used 455-495 for reps without a "spotter" when i was not maxing.

bIgHwN86
12-23-2004, 12:37 PM
He meant to say his weight went from 225 to 415, compliments of bigger fatter slower..

hey i know that method..loved the training hated the results... :hump: