PDA

View Full Version : My newest plan, PLEASE CRITIQUE

bassman09
12-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Stats, I am 34 yrs old, weight - 230 lbs, Height 6 feet, waist 40

Goals Shed 30lbs while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible. After loosing 30 lbs I would like to bulk. Not in a real panic to loose the weight, obviously the sooner the better but I am in this for life so I want quality results over quick and easy.

Diet

7:00 AM - Breakfast
Cereal (Vector)
1 Glass of Orange Juice

8:30 AM (Pre workout)
Protein Drink
1 Apple

9:00 10:30
Workout

11:00AM
Protein Drink
1 Banana

1:00 PM - Lunch
1 Salmon Sandwich
can of salmon
2 pcs whole wheat bread
1 glass of skim milk
2 pickles

3:00 PM
Protein Drink
1 can of tuna

5:00 PM - Supper
1 Chicken breast
Large salad with very little lite salad dressing
cup brown rice
1 glass of milk

Totals: Calories 2064
Protein 220g
Carbs 210g
Fat 30g

Workout

Mon Shoulders
Tues Back
Wed Arms
Thurs Chest
Fri Abs
Sat Legs
Sun Rest

Cardio at present none, thinking of adding 60 minutes of moderate walking 5 days a week.

My routine is built using the Max-OT principles.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, I am so confused about all the diets and programs out there. I just want to make sure I am not spinning my wheels.

TheGimp
12-21-2004, 12:40 PM
You need more fat. You should be getting at least 20% of calories from fat in order to maintain proper hormone (e.g. testosterone) production. Good sources would be fish and flax oils, avocados, nuts and olive oil.

bassman09
12-21-2004, 12:49 PM
You need more fat. You should be getting at least 20% of calories from fat in order to maintain proper hormone (e.g. testosterone) production. Good sources would be fish and flax oils, avocados, nuts and olive oil.

I was thinking of adding some olive oil. How much should I add?

How does everything else look?

geoffgarcia
12-21-2004, 02:02 PM
yeah, get that fat up to at least 55, 70 would be better.
Aim to minimize sat fat and maximize poly and mono.
As the gimp said, ur going to experience hormone problems (depression, anxiety, stress, tired, lazy) if you keep under 40 for more than a week or two.

Each tablespoon of olive oil is 14g of fat, so take at least 2-4 tbsp per day, if you mix it into food then count it as about 1/4 as it tends to stick to containers very easily and most is wasted. Taking it in a spoon is the ideal way to take fats IMHO.
Also u could mix up the fats instead of taking so much olive oil, try some fish oil, hemp, nut, grape seed, flax, udo's, etc...variety is the spice of life!

Also your calories are a bit low, so dont worry about the extra calories that you'll gain from the fat, 2300-2400 is fine for cutting.

Stick at that calorie range for 3-4 weeks and try to track your intake on fitday or dietorganizer and track your weight, cheat as little as possible, exercise, and have a happy holiday:)

After a month on that post a graph of your weekly calorie intake plotted against your weekly weight average (gotta measure more than once a week for it to be valid, the more the better, just be consistent and measure in the AM) from the chart we'll be able to see if ur losing weight, and how quickly, and that will help gauge your progress and what steps to take next.

bassman09
12-21-2004, 02:09 PM
How about cardio? Right now I am not doing any. I was thinking of adding 60 minutes of moderate walking 5 days a week, 8hrs after my workout.

geoffgarcia
12-21-2004, 02:19 PM
60 minutes of walking is ok.

the key to cardio, whether its walking or running or swimming or whatever, is what your heart rate gets to and how long you do it.

I dont know much about cardio and heart rate but I think as heart rate increases the % of calories burned from fat decreases, however, the total calories burned increases.
Personally burning more calories and getting a smaller % of fat calories burned is a better option.
Whats your current bf? if your 230 and want to lose 30 pounds thats about a 15% bf loss, and I'm assuming that might get you down to about 10%, so your at about 25%now? it doesnt matter so much, but ur not to heavy that running should be a problem. Just wondering why you'd rather walk thats all.

bassman09
12-21-2004, 02:29 PM
60 minutes of walking is ok.

the key to cardio, whether its walking or running or swimming or whatever, is what your heart rate gets to and how long you do it.

if you can keep your heart rate at 125-135 for 60 minutes thats ok, although I would guess that if you could keep it at 135-155 for 35-40 minutes it would be better.

I dont know much about cardio and heart rate but I think as heart rate increases the % of calories burned from fat decreases, however, the total calories burned increases.
Personally burning more calories and getting a smaller % of fat calories burned is a better option.
Whats your current bf? if your 230 and want to lose 30 pounds thats about a 15% bf loss, and I'm assuming that might get you down to about 10%, so your at about 25%now? it doesnt matter so much, but ur not to heavy that running should be a problem. Just wondering why you'd rather walk thats all.

I'm guestimating my bodyfat to be around 30% or more. It's so hard to tell without having calipers and knowing how to use them. I just enter my height and weight into some of the websites out there and I get mixed results, usually averaging 30-40%. I don't know how those sites can work though. I have some pretty good muscle mass that isn't figured into that calculation going by height and weight.

I could run but I read that if I was to do higher impact cardio the chances of burning muscle stores would increase over fat stores. Once again I have no clue. LOL

geoffgarcia
12-21-2004, 02:40 PM
bass thats actually partially true although its much more involved then that, that said, I wouldn't worry to much about it since ur primary goal should be getting ur bf down to under 13-15%, then worry about the muscle.

Figure out what your resting heart rate is, do this by measuring it the second you wake up in the morning. Dont even get out of bed, just grab a watch or look at the clock and measure it, thats the lowest you'll be for the entire day.

Then plug that resting rate into a formula to calculate your target heart rates.
You should aim to workout between 60-80% of your max as calculated by this formula:
http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heart.asp

bassman09
12-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Cool, thanks Geoff. I will figure that out in the morning. Thanks for your help, I will keep you posted.

bassman09
12-21-2004, 02:51 PM
PS I am in the process of starting another band with a fellow Kiss fanatic. Here is a pic of him this past Halloween.

We are thinking about putting together a tribute band this coming year just for fun. Of course being the bass player I get to be Gene, ya baby!! lol

geoffgarcia
12-21-2004, 02:58 PM
damn! thats a great pic!
thats really your friend?
awesome costume and photo! could nearly pass as tommy thayer although thayer is a twig!
is that his real hair or a wig?

i went to 4 shows this past summer:) they rule!

one of these days I'll get my pics up here from the shows I put on makeup for, granted I never had sweet costumes like that!!!

bassman09
12-21-2004, 03:14 PM
Yes that is really my friend, his name is Shawn. He made that costume about 3 yrs ago while he was touring BC with a Kiss tribute band. That is a wig, he's totally bald in real life (by choice)

You think that costume is cool check this one out, it's his buddy. He helped Shawn make his costume. We are close to the same size so I am gonna see if he'll let me borrow his this year, check out the boots, he made them himself.

The second pic is Shawn and Brett together, Halloween 2002

The third pic is me and Shawn the next year at my halloween show in 2003.

The last one is just me on stage.

I am not a mega Kiss fans like you guys but I do like them alot. I do a mean Domino, my favorite tune.

You should post some pics of the shows you've been to when you get a chance.

geoffgarcia
12-21-2004, 03:25 PM
those pics are awesome:)
your friend has the gene pose in the first pic down really well:)
awesome boots!
people would pay a ton for costumes like that gene and ace one on ebay, maybe 300-800$ I would think.

I know I would be tempted to *LOL* I'd get a manequin and suit it up and paint it and put it in my corner *hahhahahhhah*

I have every one of their cd's and a huge framed destroyer poster in my kitchen with ticket stubs and picks of friends at concerts:)

Domino is a great song!
Crazy Nights, Torpedo Girl, Charisma, War Machine, and Shandi are my fav's

bassman09
12-21-2004, 03:33 PM
those pics are awesome:)
your friend has the gene pose in the first pic down really well:)
awesome boots!
people would pay a ton for costumes like that gene and ace one on ebay, maybe 300-800$ I would think.

I know I would be tempted to *LOL* I'd get a manequin and suit it up and paint it and put it in my corner *hahhahahhhah*

I have every one of their cd's and a huge framed destroyer poster in my kitchen with ticket stubs and picks of friends at concerts:)

Domino is a great song!
Crazy Nights, Torpedo Girl, Charisma, War Machine, and Shandi are my fav's

Those are all great tunes! Especially Charisma.

Brett told me it would cost me over $500.00 just get him to make those boots for me, the boy is talented that is for sure.

I am sure you and my buddy Shawn would have lots in common as far as comparing memorabilia, he just loves Kiss, them and Alice Cooper.

Funny you mentioned the manequin, Shawn is currently looking for one to keep his costume on. LOL

Anyhoo, thanks again for your help with the routine/diet. I am gonna hit the tredmill now. I'll keep you posted on my results over the next few weeks.

Have a good one.

Stace

bassman09
12-23-2004, 07:58 AM
I made a few minor changes.

geoffgarcia
12-23-2004, 09:05 AM
that looks great!
Now just have to try to stick with it over the holidays! or do your best to!

ryuage
12-23-2004, 09:06 AM
just tell yourself diet started january 2nd... haha

bassman09
12-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Yes the holidays will make it interesting. However will power is the easy part for me, figuring out a diet was the hard part. LOL
It will be nice to have a cutting and bulking diet saved and ready to go when I need them. I should be able to just cycle them off and on as I need to .

For my bulking diet I am planning to just increase the amount I eat, keeping the actual foods the same. i.e. 2 chicken breast instead of one, 1 full can of salmon instead of 1/2 etc.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

geoffgarcia
12-23-2004, 09:33 AM
any time! just keep reading as many posts on here as you can.
There is a lot more to successful dieting than just picking good foods and the right calories.

After 8-10 weeks most diets will fizzle anyway and you'll have to reset your body/prime it to lose weight again.

So if you've been eating 2k calories for a long time you might struggle to lose any more weight.

There are various methods to extend this period by a few weeks, but they are a little more advanced.

If you have some spare time on your hands you might find it beneficial to read up on refeeds, PSFM (just search for that), leptin and UD2

Good luck!
G

bassman09
12-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks, I will look that up over the holidays and read it over.

geoffgarcia
12-23-2004, 11:03 AM
ps, I just ordered some more checks and return address labels and made me think of ur KISS fan friend, he might be interested in some of the stuff over at fanchecks.com

I use their KISS gear:)

bassman09
12-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Those are cool! Neat ideal. You really are a kiss junky, LOL

Thanks man I will pass it on to him, he'll like it.

Have a good one.

geoffgarcia
12-30-2004, 07:56 PM
those pics are gone?
I have some friends over and we are playing the KISS trivia game and I wanted to show them but they are gone:(

bassman09
12-31-2004, 11:32 AM
those pics are gone?
I have some friends over and we are playing the KISS trivia game and I wanted to show them but they are gone:(

I have no idea where they went, kinda strange. I e-mailed you them to you on your hotmail account.