PDA

View Full Version : Complex carbs or low-GI simple carbs for snacks?

trojan1444
12-23-2004, 03:38 PM
For a mid-afternoon snack or something, is there a difference between having complex carbs (sandwich with whole grain bread) or low-GI simple carbs (yogurt and fruit) ? Is one better than the other assuming the meal isn't pre- or post- workout.........

jazer80
12-23-2004, 09:32 PM
if i'm not mistaken, aren't all complex carbs typically low GI? low gi means low glucose index, which means it raises blood sugars minimally, which is a property of a complex carb which has to be broken down longer (because of it's complexity...) versus a higher gi which would be simple carbs

waynis
12-23-2004, 09:42 PM
whole grains have the lower gi

trojan1444
12-23-2004, 11:28 PM
No, simple carbs in fruit and sugar have very low GI as well. Yogurt for example has a GI of like 37, which is lower tha oatmeal, whole grains or other complex carbs.

My question is about whether it's better to snack on low-GI simple carbs (fruit, yogurt, etc) or low-GI complex carbs (whole grains, etc)

waynis
12-24-2004, 03:34 PM
what are you looking to do? eat the food with the lowest gi? then you just answered your own question.

Adam
12-24-2004, 04:21 PM
For though-out the day I would think its better to have low GI Complex carbs. Not all complex are low GI though(as you stated i beleive) like maltodextrin, GI ~140
After your workout though, high GI all the way!