PDA

View Full Version : Deli Meat?

jhomerun20
12-23-2004, 03:44 PM
I have read several posts that say that Deli Meat is not a "clean" item to eat...etc. My question is why not? Why is lean turkey breast slices, with little fat or carbs, not a good source of protein? How about when you get the slices at the grocery store as opposed to the pre-packaged ones. I know it is processed meat, but does it really make a difference?

Holto
12-23-2004, 03:49 PM
nitrates

Vampiro
12-23-2004, 05:41 PM
when you say deli you mean prepackaged by the hotdogs, or the stuff the deli cuts at the counter from the big turkey breast?

reg56
12-23-2004, 06:38 PM
I'm guessing the stuff at the counter from the big turkey breast. I hope that stuff is ok, because I have deli meats like almost every day. :/

greekboy80
12-24-2004, 07:41 AM
i eat it all the time. some people say the nitrates, some say cause' its processed. well, everything nowadays is processed even down to that protien powder that we all drink religously. my thoughts are that its better than most other stuff out there that many people are eating for lunch, so its fine to have once a day. just dont have it at every meal. everything in moderation. eat more of the good stuff than the bad, and you should be ok. just my 2 pennies.

manowar669
12-24-2004, 03:23 PM
nitrates, stabilizers, added triglycerides, tons of salt. If I eat lunchmeat now, it tastes really salty to me, I can't stand it. None of it is good for you, but if it's a choice between eating lunchmeat, and missing a meal, I would eat it.

Vampiro
12-25-2004, 01:47 AM
i still confused, are we talking about the boars head slices from the deli counter or the stuff thats pre-packaged. The ones from the deli conter dont have nitrates, alot of salt though

Holto
12-25-2004, 12:13 PM
ask at the Deli counter if it has nitrates

some Roast turkey/beef dosen't have it

all in all it's about picking your poison

if you can make a sandwich on whole grain bread for lunch and that saves you from being tempted to have a McLunch than all in all it's a better choice

malkore
12-27-2004, 11:12 AM
I've read a report that said the nitrates in the deli meats stop you from stayin in an anabolic state...which is the whole reason you're eating every 3 hours in the first place.
So the same holds true for most jerky...its loaded with sodium nitrate.