PDA

View Full Version : isotonic v. hypotonic.... can anyone shed some light?

jazer80
12-23-2004, 03:52 PM
i googled and found nothing i could understand / apply. if you were told to have one of these versus another at certain times, which drinks would be applicable for hypo and iso? and could anyone explain in layman's what they mean?

MyFastCoobra
12-24-2004, 09:30 PM
From what ive just learned in my Botony class, Hypertonic means that the water around the cell contains more salt than what is in the cell, Hypotonic means that the cell contains more salt than the water around it , and isotonic means that the cell and water have the same amount of salt contents. I didnt really awnser your question but thats all I know, hope it helps.

jazer80
12-25-2004, 09:17 PM
ya that's what i've been finding on my own, but basically just need examples of what both would be, since i need to take a specific one

TTT
12-29-2004, 02:16 PM
The easiest way to think about it is to think of one being hypertonic or hypotonic or isotonic RELATIVE TO THE OTHER. You need to keep this in mind - if you're just saying "hypertonic" you need to specify which is hypertonic relative to the other.

jazer80
12-29-2004, 08:01 PM
thanks for the responses but the time i needed to know for was sunday. i had gatorade and i'm alive, so i guess i made the right choice or it didn't really matter