PDA

View Full Version : resting / muscle recooperation

jazer80
12-23-2004, 06:14 PM
okay, so your muscles grow outside of the gym, so you want to rest to maximize growth. does this growth occur at a relatively stable rate for a couple of days after leaving the gym, or does a lot of the growth occur rapidly, in the first day or two? i ask because the way i'm training now is upper half days and lower half days, and was thinking i could handle getting to at least 4 days, maybe 5 days, working out per week. when i lift i go about 45 minutes, and heavy, compound movements, so that would mean 2 or 3 days of squatting /deadlifting weekly, which is definitely a lot. if i am 21, get proper rest, and great nutrition / supplementation, and am not showing signs of overtraining, would doing such short rest periods give me better growth since i'm in the gym more?

Paul Stagg
12-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Give it a try and see.

Brad Cardoza
12-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Be very carefull squatting and deadlifting more than once a week. If you are going heavy your lower back needs more than the average time off for recovery. Try to get at least 7 if not 10 days in between your heavy low back days. I wouldn't worry too much about squats, unless you are doing a westside style box squat in which case the low back is getting worked heavy again

jazer80
12-30-2004, 03:29 PM
wait 7 to 10 days? why should the lower back get this special treatment?

Brad Cardoza
01-01-2005, 04:15 PM

The lower back takes longer to recover from heavy workouts. I'm not talking about 3 sets of 6-8 reps on deads once a week. I'm talking about someone who has a couple of days where they are doing things like heavy goodmornings, box squats etc... If you are lifting for general fitness you could probably get away with a normal amount of rest. If you are a strength athlete of some kind you will definitely need to take more time off.

body
01-01-2005, 05:04 PM

its does hhave to. but if you do not ait long enoug. Its hard to squat with a soar back from deadlifting a few days before. Your back juts stiffen up and you can not trian as ahrd. therefore your legs do not get worked as hard as you would have liked them to.