PDA

View Full Version : Good fats ,bad fats dilemma..



Vvitto
11-14-2001, 08:18 PM
I just had an argument with my wife in regard of good fats and bad fats.

Could anyone explain it and clarify it for me please!

Which one are the good ones ? She read to me from Dr.Atkins diet book where is stated that saturated fat is better than polyunsaturated fat.

I thought that saturated fat are the evil ones, and unsaturated fat(mono or poly) are the good ones.

Any thoughts?

Wizard
11-15-2001, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Vvitto
I just had an argument with my wife in regard of good fats and bad fats.

Could anyone explain it and clarify it for me please!

Which one are the good ones ? She read to me from Dr.Atkins diet book where is stated that saturated fat is better than polyunsaturated fat.

I thought that saturated fat are the evil ones, and unsaturated fat(mono or poly) are the good ones.

Any thoughts?

Dr.Atkins would do anything to promote his diet.
The truth is that polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats are the healthy ones for many reasons which we have stated several times before.

Tryska
11-15-2001, 06:46 AM
however, i wouldn't call saturated fats evil. cholesterol is the foundation of hormones after all, and they do help with cell wall structure. the true evil fats would be Trans-fats.

which maybe what atkins was actually getting at, and your wife might have misunderstood.

again....given the choice between crisco and lard, lard is your better option.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-15-2001, 07:58 AM
The body can live quite happily with no saturated fat.

hemants
11-15-2001, 08:09 AM
Saturated fat and trans fatty acids are evil.

Your body makes it's own cholesterol.

body
11-15-2001, 02:02 PM
anyone here ever been choleseterol deficient?

journal : the journal of boll** (2001)

author : Austin, Stone cold steve

hypothesis - low levels of cholesterol are belived to impair athletic perfomance. To see if cholesterol deficieny was cured, then athletic perfomence increase. the Athletes were given Cholestol-tech, a new supp desinged for athletes.
After supplementing for 2 week the athletes on cholesterol-tech gianed up to 20 pounds solid muscle while droping down to 5% BF. while athletes weight stayed the same.
conculsion - cholesterol tech help people decrease cholesterol defeiciency.

Greg Kovacs "this supp helped me gain 20 pounds of lean muscle, whitout out i would be small and weak"

Greg zulak "I highly recommend thsi supp"

pictures of athletes drinking cholesterol-tech in the gym.

If you bleive this i will glady sell you some!

If we needed to take cholesterol or saturated fats then this advert would be a 6 page spread in a couple of BB mags.

I

Tryska
11-15-2001, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
however, i wouldn't call saturated fats evil. cholesterol is the foundation of hormones after all, and they do help with cell wall structure. the true evil fats would be Trans-fats.



okay..i will allow you wiseasses to take another stab at a Reading is Fundamental course....and will re-iterate my point a little more slowly, so you assfaces can comprehend what i have written.

I wouldn't call saturated fats evil.

cholesterol is the foundations of hormones.

saturated fats help with cell wall structure.

true evil fats would be trans fats.


now class......where in the above four sentences does it say that saturated fats OR cholesterol from your diet are REQUIRED for proper nutrition?

until y'all stop eating your egg yolks and steak, i don't want to hear jacksquat from any of you about the evils of saturated fat.

class dismissed.


incidentally body, if i'm not mistaken certain steroids come in a cholesterol suspension, no?

Paul Stagg
11-15-2001, 02:17 PM
Ms. Decophile,

That made me laugh.

Thank you.

Regards,
Mr. Stagg



P.S. I'll put together a course:

Fundamental Reading for Assfaces

REAF 102

Tryska
11-15-2001, 02:23 PM
Mr. Stagg,

Excellent idea. I believe it should be a pre-requisite for all assfaces wishing to post forthwith.

You are quite welcome.

Sincerely,
Ms Decophile

body
11-15-2001, 04:30 PM
It would be praticaly impossible to never eat sats. as off the top of my head all natural fats contian a a certain portion of saturates. even if a small degree.
i feel trans are far worse than sats, though i suspect that certain saturates are going to be worse than other saturates as well.
on the flip side some mono are going to be better than other monos as well.

Tryska
11-15-2001, 05:45 PM
body - agreed.

and vvito....could you perhaps provide the exact passage your wife read to you?

Vvitto
11-15-2001, 09:20 PM
There are some interesting excerpts.

Dr. William Catelli the director of a famous Frammingham Heart Study says" We found that people who ate the most cholesterol ,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories weighed the LEAST and were the most physically active"
Another study done in 1999 shows how a low fat diet actually increases your chances of heart diseases. in this study 240 healthy men spent several weeks eating a diet that took 40 percent of its calories from fat,and then spent an equal amount of time eating a diet that derived only 20 to 24 percent of its calories from fat. '
you might think that while the men were on th low fat diet thier blood lipid profile would improve .In fact just the opposite happened. About one third of the men who ate the low fat diet showed some worrisome lipid changes. They started making small,dense LDl particles,nore triglycerides and less HDL cholesterol.

There are a lot more....Too tired now to type..Maybe later

V

Wizard
11-15-2001, 11:39 PM
Right,but most of the calories from fat on the high fat diet were from monounsaturated fat.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-16-2001, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Tryska


saturated fats help with cell wall structure.



Yes, by clogging them up. makes them really rigid :)

Tryska
11-16-2001, 04:37 AM
nope...transfats make them rigid.

saturated fats are naturally occuring and are the makeup of the lipid bilayer of cell walls, as well making up the fat in your brain. go back and do your research, sunshine.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-16-2001, 04:56 AM
Oooooooooooo...someone hasn't had enough sleep to take a joke :)

the doc
11-16-2001, 05:58 AM
to backup ms. decophyle

for all you carb eaters, a signifcant portion of those carbs your eating are converted to saturated fats which will be stored in your adipose tissue.

All oils contain sat'd fat to some extent, whether it be olive, walnut, or soybean.

SO to say you can live with no sat'd fat is only partially true, as the body can easily converted unsat'd fat to sat'd fat to fullfull its needs (some of which tryska mentioned). Also, it is impossible to eat diet consisting of no sat'd fat as All oils contain sat'd fat to some extent, whether it be olive, walnut, or soybean

to this day (and certainly as of 1996 when i last researched this topic-please if anyone has more current info pass it along) no one knows for certain how trans-fats are metabolized. THey are unnatural things and the body does not process them in the same way as natural fats. this is for certain.

Tryska
11-16-2001, 06:43 AM
w00t!

the greaseman cometh.

thanks doc!

Budiak
11-16-2001, 10:12 AM
*runs through the streets of San Francisco with a bucket of Velveeta


la la la la la la velveeeeeetaaaaaa


ITS NOT EVEN CHEESE!

Tryska
11-16-2001, 10:17 AM
considering it's san fran - i bet no one even turned to look, did they budiak?

hemants
11-16-2001, 10:52 AM
Getting back to the original question it seems all are unanimous wrt trans fatty acids, but all else being equal, polyunsaturated fats are better than saturated fats given the choice.

Neither is harmful in moderation unless you are predisposed to heart disease.

Tryska
11-16-2001, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Vvitto
There are some interesting excerpts.

Dr. William Catelli the director of a famous Frammingham Heart Study says" We found that people who ate the most cholesterol ,ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories weighed the LEAST and were the most physically active"
Another study done in 1999 shows how a low fat diet actually increases your chances of heart diseases. in this study 240 healthy men spent several weeks eating a diet that took 40 percent of its calories from fat,and then spent an equal amount of time eating a diet that derived only 20 to 24 percent of its calories from fat. '
you might think that while the men were on th low fat diet thier blood lipid profile would improve .In fact just the opposite happened. About one third of the men who ate the low fat diet showed some worrisome lipid changes. They started making small,dense LDl particles,nore triglycerides and less HDL cholesterol.

There are a lot more....Too tired now to type..Maybe later

V

i had forgotten i had forgotten to mention something with regards to this post....

this isn't necessarily saying much about what effects any particular type of fat has on one's health, but moreso the fact that a high-fat diet ulitmately appears better for lipid profiles then a high carb (low-fat) diet, seems to be.

incidentally...I can't wait to see how Framingham ulitmately pans out....it gets curioser and curioser.....