PDA

View Full Version : Determining calorie info of things like bananas?

NOPowerPaul
12-27-2004, 11:49 AM
I'm going through my current diet to see what I currently eat and what I should be eating. I will then more than likely have to increase gradually to this new level.

One problem I have come across is how to work out the food info of certain things like a bananna or an apple. Also I get food like Tuna Steaks and Mackeral which have no calorie details. How can I work out such information.

I want to get my diet as right as possible but when information is missing I just don't know how to work it out.

Also, how have you guys worked out how much calories you need. For example I weight train to my max three days a week and do an hour on the exercise bike first thing in the morning six days a week. The bike says I am burning around 1500 cals per session.

I've recently got a bodyfat scales monitor and it says I am 164Lbs and have a 9.8% bodyfat. I'm going for a strength increasing training routine.

Vampiro
12-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Someone esle will direst you too the formulas, but weigh your food, and plug the numbers in a fitday.com or calorieking.com. I prefer calorie king, you can put the exact weight of what your eating (ex. 90grams worth of apple with skin).

Cynical_Simian
12-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Calorie King is probably the best nutrition database out there; the estimate values (e.g. medium banana (7-8")) are another nice feature if you just want a general idea of how many calories are in the foods you eat. If you're looking for a one-stop resource for determining your caloric needs, Fitday is pretty good. It includes a (relatively limited) food database and calculators for the number of calories you've eaten and expended based on the activities and foods you enter for a given day.

Here's a link to bodybuilding.com's calculator page: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calculators.htm. It has BMR and cardio calculators, in addition to quite a few others that you might find useful. Also, I'd recommend using a caliper instead of a bodyfat scale; they're generally more reliable and accurate.

RBC13
12-27-2004, 02:56 PM
i wouldn't worry if you have a large or extra large banana. The difference is negligible. A hundred calories a day off won't kill you, and the net might just be zero.

malkore
12-27-2004, 03:19 PM
I use fitday.com to figure out my normal meals. since there's a narrow range of 'clean foods', I tend to just go by my serving sizes (knowing that I need an avg. of 30g of protein per meal, which is usually about a palm sized piece of meat)