PDA

View Full Version : Organic or regular foods?

Alke
12-28-2004, 09:37 PM
I was thinking of making the switch from regular milk to organic milk, maybe even buying some organic foods....but

There is a lot of info claiming false labeling and misleading information on organic products to lead people to buying into this niche.

So I have doubts, and then there is the placebo effect of buying healthy so you essentially THINK yourself healthier.

thoughts?

Does anyone here drink organic milk or eat organic foods?

Cynical_Simian
12-28-2004, 10:33 PM
I'm not particularly convinced by most of the categorical arguments for "eating organic"; unless you're paranoid about pesticides or philosophically opposed to "unnatural" methods of growing food, there's no real reason to regard organic foods as superior. Having said that, some of the products offered by organic food companies have nutritional advantages over of their regular counterparts, such as being less processed or having less sugar. I'd compare the nutrition information and ingredients on a case-by-case basis to determine whether to switch.

Optimum08
12-29-2004, 12:00 AM
:withstupi

waynis
12-29-2004, 09:50 AM
most milk you buy in the supermarket is treated with hormones. The risk of taking in those hormones could be bad. The less processed the better it is for you. NO matter what your eating. Straight from the cow is the way to go but I don't have a cow in my back yard :D Organic would be better because of less processing. I currently switched to rice milk. I eat all organic or minimally processed foods. My health and energy has been incredible since I switched.

Holto
12-29-2004, 10:40 AM
The less processed the better it is for you

true

buying organic helps you dodge a litany of dangerous chemicals, many of which were not properly studied

having done some research on Agri-Business I would say the most important reason to choose organic is what you are doing for the earth

monocropping and nitrogen based fertilizers are destroying our soil

1 bushel of grain from 1920 has 150 times the minerals of 1 bushel today

TTT
12-29-2004, 12:57 PM
All good info. However, also consider the fact that many organic products which haven't been sprayed or processed in any way are more subject to infection with moulds, bacteria and other microorganisms, which may produce toxic metabolic byproducts, which means that in some ways, they may be more damaging than beneficial to your health :)

galileo
12-29-2004, 01:48 PM
The food chain will eliminate any and all chances of a food being completely toxin-free in this day and age. Use the money you save to go to the doctor more often. ;)

-TIM-
12-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Always using your noggin' galileo :thumbup:

TTT
12-29-2004, 02:12 PM
I agree!

waynis
12-29-2004, 02:29 PM
The food chain will eliminate any and all chances of a food being completely toxin-free in this day and age. Use the money you save to go to the doctor more often. ;)

maybe he wouldn't have to go to the doctor if he ate better more often :nod:

What i've found with organic. Since it doesn't have all the preservatives it has a shorter shelf life. Things like milk should be used up within a week.

Canadian Crippler
12-29-2004, 05:04 PM
I think you're worrying too much, Alke. I bought all organic for one week; it costs more and I didn't enjoy eating it. If you're really dedicated then I guess it's ok, but I'd rather enjoy my milk thank you :).

galileo
12-29-2004, 06:44 PM
maybe he wouldn't have to go to the doctor if he ate better more often :nod:

I was referring to check-ups. But I hate to break it to you - typing this message probably just gave me cancer. Yes, in some small way this forum will kill me from cancer someday, I'm sure of it.

Alke
12-29-2004, 08:41 PM
heh, I spent my childhood playing under powerlines and chasing the pesticide trucks that sprayed for mosquito control in my neighborhood.

its amazing I'm still alive.