PDA

View Full Version : Working out how many calories to take in

NOPowerPaul
12-30-2004, 07:42 AM
I've been researching this for the past week as I plan my diet for my strength routine. I am 5 ft 9" and weigh 163 pounds with a 10% body fat rating. I do cardio every morning six days a week and weight train as heavy as I can three times a week. I am aiming for increased muscle mass but too keep as little fat as possible off my body.

After much research I have the following worked out. Just want people's opinions if this looks excessive calories or not?

BMR = 1965 Cals
BMR + Calories burned just getting out of bed or watching telly etc. = 3144
BMR + Above + Cals burned during exercise = 4476 Cals
Plus Cals needed to digest/metabolise food = 4771 Cals per day

I haven't worked out the split of protein/carbs/fat yet but know I will take in 2 grams of protein per kg of weight.

Too everyone else who measures their intake of food does this look about right? Or does it look WAY TOO MUCH?

The above is based on the average of about ten different articles and methods for working these things out.

ryuage
12-30-2004, 07:58 AM
why not base it on the avg of what your body burns in a day and not some article where the person who had written it has never even met or seen you. Eat x amount of calories for a week and if you gain/maintain/lose weight you will know how much you are burning approximately.

Tholly
12-30-2004, 08:34 AM
to be honest it sounds a little high in my opinon for someone your size. I weigh about 180 at 13% body fat and I bulk at about 3600 cals. I also do alot of cardio. But if you were were really wanting to bulk fast that might be accurate. Like ryuage said try and see, but I would guess your going to put on a little spare tire at that many cals.

trojan1444
12-30-2004, 11:46 AM
I think you're overestimating how many calories you burn "getting out of bed or watching telly." I don't think that takes you from 1965 to 3100. That's over a 1000 calorie difference, which is the equivalent of running about 10 miles.

NOPowerPaul
01-02-2005, 06:12 AM
I looked into my diet, what i eat at the moment:-

I now weigh 75KG and have a bodyfat of 8.8% (I actually lost bodyfat whilst increasing calories and decreasing cardio and weights - weird)

3647.95 Calories
271G Protein = 1084.8 Cals
540.34G Carb = 2161.3 Cals
44.65G Fat = 401.85 Cals

I don't eat meat and just eat Tuna, Mackeral, Salmon which is where basically all my fat grams come from. It's the good fat though so it aint that bad.

I feel okay eating this amount and as I do six hours of cardio per week I don't seem to put on much around the gut yet have been having solid gains in strength and I look much bigger.

I guess it is a case of "if its working then its a good diet split" but just wondering if anyone would add any comments - ie. too much protein, too little carbs?

One little thing:-

My routine consists of getting up doing an hours cardio. Eating breakfast, 1300 Cals, 78.7G protein, 233.6G Carbs, 7.2G Fat. Then hitting the weights for about an hour. Then having my post workout meal, 295.5 Cals, 30.3G Protein, 32G Carbs, 1.5G Fat.

I can handle eating this way fine and like I said it seems too be working. I do question it though. I can't space out the time better because I do all of this before I goto work.