PDA

View Full Version : No sugar at all?

BMMack
01-02-2005, 07:35 AM
I'm on a cut right now, trying to drop 33 lbs in the next 14 weeks. I've gotten mixed info on sugar intake. I was thinking it would be fine to have a small amount of sugar post workout to give myself a bit of an insulin spike (i.e. a slice of whole wheat toast with a tsp of honey on it). However, I've had a few people tell me to cut out the sugar completely (no fruit, no dairy, etc.). What do you guys think? Am I overthinking it if I'm worried about a teaspoon of honey once a day?

Holto
01-02-2005, 10:38 AM
PWO sugar is fine

when I'm cutting I take even more sugar PWO because I know my glycogen is allready low

Cynical_Simian
01-02-2005, 12:46 PM
If anything, you're taking in far too little sugar as part of your PWO meal. This is the one time of day when you want to spike your insulin, ideally with sugars mixed into a liquid. A bagel or other high-GI bread with honey along with some whey would give you the protein and high-GI carbs combination you need to maximize recovery.

As for the rest of the day, avoiding sugar and insulin spikes is a good idea, although some dairy products and fruits, such as cottage cheese and bananas, would probably be okay because they have low GIs.

waynis
01-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Post workout is the only time a insulin spike is ok. Any other time it's pointless and just causes extra stress on your pancreas and can lead to problems.fruit, honey is fine after workout.