PDA

View Full Version : My communion with God

furious
01-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Hello,

I havent posted extensively on these boards in some time, but I felt it was time to reintroduce myself with a journal. I am in between bulk and cutting phases, so I suppose I am cutting slowly over ther holidays. The name for my journal describes the way I feel about the gym and fitness in general. When I am lifting and in the gym I truly feel closer to God, and I realised how blessed I am to be given the opportunity to improve myself a little bit each day.

Now, I have been criticised in the past in some quarters for my diet, and this is understandable as only recently have I begun to reintroduce complex carbs in to the mix. This was largely due to fear of excess fat gain (former fat kid) however the gains in strength, size, and general well being I have experienced have dispelled my fears. I now realise I was handicapping my potential for years, and I look foward to the gains I will experience as a result of a more balanced diet.

Having said this, I plan to document my progress step by step and explain my reasoning behind my methods. This is as much for myself as anyone here to analyse my progress, and alter my diet/workout as neccessary to aid in my progress.

Stats:

5'8
155lbs
8% bf

Diet:

I am currently carb cycling with 3 low carb days followed by 2 refeed days. I will post my diet tommorrow.

Workout:

Today was back day. In looking at images of my body, I realise my back is lagging a bit. I have been analysing my routine, and I feel the best course of action is to return to tried and true compound movements. I will therefore drop most isolation exercises I had previously been focusing on for my back in place of compound mass builders. I am posting my routine below.

Back (11 sets):

lat pulldown (wide grip):

170lbs 8x
180lbs 6x

Lat pulldown (close grip):

180lbs 8x
200lbs 6x

T-bar rows:

180lbs 10x
235lbs 6x

T-Bar rows (individual hand grip):

135lbs 10x
180lbs 6x

Cable rows:

130 10x
170 6x

Wide grip pullups:

bodyweight 12x

All comments, critcism, whatever welcome. Thanks for reading my journal.

savdout209
01-02-2005, 01:29 PM
You're 155lbs at 8% bf and you're cutting? :scratch: Post some pics.

furious
01-02-2005, 01:42 PM
You're 155lbs at 8% bf and you're cutting? :scratch: Post some pics.

Hey,

I am also a model, so I am cutting for a photoshoot. I say "cutting" but really it is shedding water weight. I just have to be shredded by next Tuesday for a commercial. Here are some recent pics.

savdout209
01-02-2005, 01:56 PM
I see. So being a model I guess that makes it pretty hard to bulk eh? It's pretty hard to say from those pics but in the first one it kind of looks like your legs/forearms are behind. Then again, I really dont know what youre shooting for. You look pretty built regardless, kudos. Good luck with your commercial.

dissipate
01-02-2005, 07:37 PM
grats on reintroducing carbs!! hope to see your diet soon,

Mic Soloist
01-02-2005, 09:36 PM
being a model would be cool... but you can't really bulk up. They like the skinny, six pack, ripped look. Which is cool if that's what you're going for. But I would rather be swole with a lil more fat. But as dude above said, you got a solid frame and you're pretty cut up.

good luck

furious
01-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Observations:

Just back from the gym. Fairly busy day today, as I had a casting for a soap commercial, and I had to drive to Clearwater which is like an hour from me. How ironic Ive had more castings here on vacation in the last 2 weeks than the entire month of December in NYC. Had to sodium/water deplete for the casting today, so now I made made up for it by simutaneously chugging 2 gallons of water when I was done to compensate, which reminded me how closely linked hydration and nausea can be. In any case after a shot of oats, I hit the gym and had a great shoulder workout. Yesterday was the end of my carbup, so I had energy to spare and have maintained my strength and perhaps even gained a bit. I changed up my routine a bit today subsituting wider grip upright rows for military press for some variety, which hit my shoulders from a different angle and gave me some decent burn. Today was the first day after my carbup, so I raised my sets a bit to try to aid in gylcogen depletion. Overall good workout, posting lifts below.

Work (Front/Middle delts):

Overhead dumbell press

75 8x
80 6x
55 12x

Upright rows (wide grip):

90 8x
110 5x

Side raises/superset w/ hammer front raises:

25 10x/6x
35 6x/4x

Close grip pullups:

bodyweight 15x
+40lbs 8x

Diet (low carb day):

8 am: 2 cans albacore tuna/w spinach salad

11 am: can of salmon/ w romaine lettuce

1:30 pm: 1 cup oats w/ 1 scoop whey protein

3:30: pwo shake 30g protein 30g dextrose

5:00 pm: 1/2lbs chicken breast 1 cup lentils

8 pm: 1 can albacore tuna

10 pm: 1/2 cup cottage cheese

( I will post macros from fitday after I input them)

furious
01-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Observations:

Alright, now perhaps it is just me, but Ive worked out all over the country and Ive yet to assertain the use of weight belts in any activity other than squatting, yet in every gym there are gangs of old men surrounding benches and curl racks wearing them and chanting to one another as if they belong to some exclusive cult. Now granted, most of these individuals have more girth around their waist, but it makes me wonder if they wear like girdles outside of the gym of the gym? Ah anyway, easy day, great sleep thanks to my ZMA and lesiurely day all around. All i do here is basically eat, sleep, and lift with some television thrown in the mix so things are going quite well. I neglected to list my supps in the beginning so I am doing so below.

Workout (Back delts/traps):

Note: I discovered a new exercise today that I feel can really put some mass on my back delts. Id been doing close grip lat pulldowns exclusively on back day, however they gave me wicked burn in my back delts and they really seem to work them directly. Strangely enough this is the first time I stopped to consider this, but at least it will help me in the next bulk.

Back delts:

Close grip lat pulldown:

100 15x
170 8x
200 6x

Bent over rows:

45 10x
55 8x
65 6x

Military press behind head:

150 8x
175 5x

Delts:

Machine shrugs:

200 8x
250 6x

Dumbell shrugs:

110 10x
120 8x

Close grip upright rows:
90 10x
110 6x

Diet:

Diet (low carb day):

8 am: 5 egg whites/w spinach salad

11 am: can of salmon/ w romaine lettuce

1:30 pm: 1 cup oats w/ 1 scoop whey protein

3:30: pwo shake 30g protein 30g dextrose

5:00 pm: 1 lbs chicken breast 1 cup spinach

8 pm: 1 cup cottage cheese

10 pm: 1 can albacore tuna

furious
01-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Observations:
Alright gentlemen here is the long awaited update, not that anyone cares. Ive been busy doing nothing, and sleeping alot, so my attention has not been focused on this unfortunatley. However I have continued to lift and eat dilligently, and quite massively for the last two days which I have labeled a "refeed" rather than a cheat. Tommorrow is my rest day and the day I begin to keep a stricter count of calories, caloric macros, etc. I have a shoot in 3 weeks time roughly for which I need to be fairly cut, and then I will extend the cut as long as it takes to get shredded. Im happy ive had this time to delay it actually as I have learned alot about dieting and ultimatley how to effectively maintain muscle on a cut. The main thing is im not going to "crash cut" or use any quick fix like a keto diet to achieve my goals. Slow and steady wins the race and when Im done, look for me on the cover of some fitness magazine as this is the goal. I am posting my workouts for the last 3 days, and I will post diet soon.

Workouts:

Wed (legs):

Leg press:
300 12x
500 10x
650 8x
800 5x

Hack Squats:
200 10x
250 8x

Weighted lunges:
50 8x
55 6x

Hamstring curls:

120 120x
150 8x
170 4x

Thursday (back):

Wide grip pullups
bodyweight 12x
+25 8x

T-Bar rows:

150 12x
225 6x
225 6x

Seated cable rows:

120 10x
150 8x
180 3x

Dumbbell rows:

100 8x
105 6x

Friday (chest):

Incline bench:

135 10x
205 6x
225 4x
185 7x

dumbbell pullovers:
75 10x
80 8x

Flat dumbells:
105 8x
95 10x

Dips:
bodyweight 8x
+55 6x

Ah yes and my current supp list in no particular order

MAN Scorch
M5AA
Saw palmetto
multivitamin
vitamin b6+b12 complex
vitamin ccomplex

furious
01-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Observations:

This weekend was spent getting back to life here in NYC. Florida was exactly what I needed, slow and warm, gave me time to recharge my batteries. Now time to get down to business, diet hardcore, and prepare for my photoshoot. Today was back delt day, began with morning cardio (walking on incline) and then had a rather subdued back delt day followed by 15 minutes of HIT running. Noticing my abs in particular popping a bit more as i drop water from carb depeletion so hopefully this is a good sign. All in all a good day, will throw in some ab work tonight and tommorrow is front delt/trap day. I plan to alternate my calorie levels with varying levels of cardio in order to keep my metabolism stoked and hopefully maintain as much mass as possible. Workout/Diet below.

Workout (back delt):

close grip under handed lat pulldown:

100 15x
170 8x
210 6x

Lateral dumbbell raises:

45 10x
55 8x

Medial deltoid raises:

25 8x
30 6x

Behind neck military press:

135 8x
175 5x

Back deltoid decks:

130 12x
170 7x

Cardio:

Morning: 400 cals/ walking on high incline
After workout: 300 cals/ running 8.0 pace

Diet:

8 (pre cardio) AM: 1 can albacore tuna

10 am: protein shake (25 g protein)/ 5 egg whites

11:30 am: 2 cans tuna/ 2 cups romaine lettuce

2 pm (pre workout): 1 1/4 cup oats/ 1 can tuna

5 pm: pwo shake

6:15 pm: 1lbs chicken breast/ 1 cup spinach

8:30: 1 can salmon

10:30: 1 can tuna/ 1 cup romaine lettuce

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 1931
Fat: 17 154 9%
Sat: 1 8 0%
Poly: 8 71 4%
Mono: 2 14 1%
Carbs: 54 183 10%
Fiber: 9 0 0%
Protein: 355 1420 81%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

furious
01-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Observations:

First id like to give a shout out tothe good people at Popetti foods for making a damn fine egg white. I have been enjoying omlets latley, and I love the way you can portion out egg whites in specific portions of protein, quite convenient and tastey with Romano cheese. Anyway back to business, diet is going well, beginning to see a bit more definition in my lower abs and shoulders and I am staying at about 1500 calories a day counting card. I dont want to go below 2000 consumed as I feel it would have a detrimental affect on my metabolism, and I have no problems doing the extra cardio, catabolic as it may be. The majority of my cardio has consisted on short bouts of HITT and walking at a slow pace on an incline, which Iam hoping withcause minimal damange. The training is also going well, trained shoulders yesterday and I was pleased that I had maintained my strength in overhead dumbell press, the preworkout carbs really seem to make a difference. Ive come a long way in the last few months in terms of my knowledge on diet, though I obviously still have a long way to go. Finally I am happy to report I meet with the Model editor of Mens Health tommorrow, which is a dream in itself but I am catiously excstatic about this. As a model attempting to transition in to fitness it is something of a dream of mine and so here is hoping it goes well. Not to sound like a girl but "what should i wear?!" Hah, in any case I will let you know.

Workout:

Tuesday (Shoulders/traps):

Close reverse grip pullups

bodyweight 15x

Overhead dumbbell press:

70 10x
80 7x
60 12x

Front Hammer raises:

25 12X
35 8X

Wide Grip Upright rows:

95 10x
115 6x

Dumbell Shrugs:

110 8x

Barbell shrugs:

200 12x
250 8x

Close grip upright rows:

95 8x
120 5x

Cable cross overs:

40 10x
70 8x

Wednesday (Legs):

Leg press:

450 12x
550 10x
700 7X

Hack Squats:

250 10x
325 8x
400 4x

Dumbbell Lunges:

50 10x
60 6x

Hamstring curls:

90 10x
135 5x
105 6x

Calf raises:

405 10x
495 8x

Wikked1
01-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Just skimmed your journal. I have to say for your weight you're a pretty strong dude. There's not a lot of guys OH pressing 80 lb dbs in your weight class and I'll be damned I KNOW I'm not and I've got 55 lbs on you. Nice work there man! I do envy the abs!

furious
01-15-2005, 07:44 AM
Observations:

Well gang its been a few days so it is story time. The "weekly" anniversery of my cut is here, and so far I am fairly pleased. My entire problem before we cutting too quickly and cutting my calories too low in order to lose weight quickly, something i promised myself i wouldnt repreat on this cut. But ive kept steady and so fr so good, nothing small signs of improvements, more ab definiton, a few more triations in my legs and one beginning in my left pectoral, which is a bit sad because it exhibits how far behind my pecs are lagging. Ive been taking down glutamine and BCAA's faithfully in order to minimalise catabolism and they seem to be working well but i will know better in a few weeks. The scale this morning read exactly 2 pounds under my original weight a week ago, so this seems to be right on the numbers. I plan to keep around 500-700 calorie deficit going while eating under maintainence thru varying bouts of cardio while cycling calories up and down to keep my metabolism stoked. Lifts have been great, and in some cases I have actually increased my strength as I noticed on lat pulldowns in my back workout today, though it was probably because i started with them at the beginning. One thing I really plan to emphasize on my next bulk are my legs, I only began working them out in truth about 4 months ago, and I have noticed a good 3-5lbs gain in them even while cutting it would seem. The model editor of Men's health complimented me on them in particular, which surprised me, though i am always a bit disturbed when a man tells me i have "nice legs". The meetingwent well, they took a bunch of polaroids, and im up for an editorial in the mag, so i will keep you all posted on that. I actually talked to him about working out for a while, and he actually knows about this site, so keep posting those pics, you never know who may be watching! posting my workouts below, wil do a diet uupdate later today or tommorrow at some point.

Workouts:

Thursday (off):

Cardio- 45 minutes walking on lncline

800 calories burned

Friday (chest):

Flat Bench:

135 10x
210 7x
245 4x
215 5x

Cable flys:

80 8x
120 5x
100 7x

Dumbell pullovers:

75 10x
85 5x

Pull ups/super set with dips:

body weight 10x/12x

Saturday (back):

Lat pulldown (wide grip):

110 12x
170 6x
190 5x

Lat pulldown (close reverse grip):

180 8x
210 5x

Dumbbell rows:

95 8x

Seated Cable rows:

130 8x
170 6x

Wide grip Pullups:

bodyweight 14x

furious
01-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Observations:

Catabolism, yes I said it...Well comeon, that dreaded word is what cutting is more or less. I know people claim "Oh im put on muscle while I lost fat" but lets face it, they are lying. I just hate the thought of tearing down my muscle while doing cardio, etc, as if im tearing down this holy temple ive built. However on the diet front, I am happy to report it has been remarkably easy. I have just discovered egg whites, and have been making crab omlets, shrimp omlets, etc. I love the taste, teture, etc and I also love the fact I dont have to starve in order to cut. I am becoming more vascular, striations are starting to show and it seems everything is working fine. My strength has also stayed constant, though I will put this to the test tommorrow when working front delts. All in all everything is going well, right now is a good time to cut because school doesnt start until Jan 27 so I have alot of down time right now. Slow and steady wins the race, and in a few week I feel my progress will result in my goals. I will keep you posted.

Workouts:

Sunday (Biceps/Triceps):

Biceps:

Preacher Curl (Changed to straight bar from EZ):
(superset)
95 12x
110 8x

Standing Barbell Curls (superset together):
(superset/w preacher)
85 6x
90 4x

Pullups:
(superset/w preacher/ standing)
Bodyweight 12x

Hammer Curls:
45 10x
60 6x

Skull Crushers:
110 10x
135 8x

Reverse grip bench:
135 10x
185 6x

Pushdowns:
150 12
150 10x

Dips:
Bodyweight 16x
12x

Legs:

Hack squats:
225 12x
315 10x
405 8x

Leg Press:
500 10x
600 8x

Weighted Static Lunges:
45 10x
50 10x

Leg extensions:
135 12x
185 8x

Hamstring Curls:
90 10x
135 6x
120 8x

Standing Calf Raises:
405 15x
495 12x
495 10x

Tuesday (Back Delts/traps):

Cable Raises:
40 12x
50 10x

Reverse close grip lat pull down:
110 12x
180 10x
220 8x

Lateral Raises:
40 12x
60 7x

Side Iverted dumbel raises:
25 10x
35 6x

Behind neck military press:
135 10x
165 6x

Dumbbell shrugs:
110 10x

Upright rows:
90 8x
110 6x

Barbell shrugs:
225 10x
285 8x

furious
01-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Observations

Alright so it has been a while since my last update. Life happens, and in my case **** happens as I wasting the majority of my time on getting to know a girl that ended up really letting me down. Needless to say, I will not be endorsing match.com any time soon, though at least Ive been able to drown my sorrow in the gym. I felt I stalled a bit last week, but I dropped around 200 calories or so and Ive begun to see results again. Been switching up mycardio ti include more stepper and eliptical and if my sweat is any indication of fatigue then this has helped as well. I must say the cut has come along alot slower since I have reintroduced carbs, but I feel tons better, look better, and I am a generally happy more balanced person and frankly I cant imagine how I did without them for so long. I am posting my dietary changes below as most of my lifts have remained the same and there isnt much change there. Ive learned alot about proper nutrition latley since ive given up my fear of carbs and I am really looking foward to the results of my next bulk. I have a photoshoot coming up in a week, and of course I will post the results. Till then.

Diet:

Friday (off day and day of dinner date):

8 am:
1 cup egg whites

100 cals

11 am:

1 can tuna

2 pm:

post cardio shake
30g protein

3 pm:

1 can salmon