PDA

View Full Version : Cardio on days off bad?

TheAlpha
01-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Ok, I have started WBB #1. I was wondering if it was a good idea to do some swimming or jogging of my days off. Would this help me do some "cutting" while I am bulking? Or is this bad for my muscle growth to do while I am bulking?

pbsteve09
01-03-2005, 10:36 PM
this is one of those questions that the seach feature can answer....and can find a gazillion posts on it.
But for just my own personal opinon, i do a light/medium cardio on my off days. I like to just keep the extra fat off while im bulking or just maintaining my weight, and get in some exercise for the o' ticker. ALthough im sure some people would beg to differ here.

Flexx
01-03-2005, 10:38 PM
not at all this will help strenghten your v02(cardio vascular) so you wiil have more oxygen and stanima for your muscles with intense workouts, remember though your bulking so not to much cardio:)

TheAlpha
01-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I have been on enough boards to know how to use the search function, I just like getting some questions off my head while gaining posts:)

Optimum08
01-03-2005, 11:15 PM
ehh im in the same predicament as you...but since im in offseason training for football...cardio might be good for me to go hardcore in...but i would do some good light cardio on off days...it can't hurt...

Rik-s
01-04-2005, 03:00 AM
Just dont do it directly b4 your lifting...

pbsteve09
01-05-2005, 12:17 AM
ooo no i hear you exactly...ive been doing this as well, substituting cardio in for rest days, except for on the weekends, and i really like it.

NOPowerPaul
01-05-2005, 10:21 AM
I second the no cardio before weight training comment. I had read about this before but figured - what the hell. I do an hours cardio first thing in the morning, then have breakfast and then hit the weights for an hour.

I do cardio six times a week not doing any cardio on leg day. I've noticed a HUGE difference in strength on this day. As a result I'm now doing cardio every day apart from weight training days. Hopefully I will see similiar results with the other weight days.

So, it is NO myth!! Never do cardio before weights.

Vapour Trails
01-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Recently I have discovered excessive aerobic excercise promotes amino acid oxidation and is associated with a negative nitrogen balance, so keep the cardio light.

I'm sure you guys have seen the long distance runners at the olympics.......human toothpicks.

LilQbanPapi16
01-05-2005, 01:12 PM
true, sp wut if u do cardio after u workout? is that good?

Machher
01-05-2005, 02:47 PM
you sohuld let your CNR recover.

LilQbanPapi16
01-08-2005, 08:59 PM
what is CNR?

Rik-s
01-09-2005, 03:55 AM
CNS = Central Nervous System.

Edit: .....IF thats what ya mean :scratch:

Nights
01-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Ok, I have started WBB #1. I was wondering if it was a good idea to do some swimming or jogging of my days off. Would this help me do some "cutting" while I am bulking? Or is this bad for my muscle growth to do while I am bulking?

How will it affect you while gaining muscle during a bulking phase? Not too much, provided you have enough calories in you to be over your AMR (active metabolism rate - how many calories you burn during the day with exercise included).

Is it going to help you not gain fat? Not really. Cardio burns calories. It does not magically burn only fat or muscle off of you, so therfore you've got to eat more as a result to stay in the bulking area. On the bright side, it will keep you healthy though, or allow you not to be as strict on diet.

As I'm sure you've read before, cutting is the state of consuming less calories then you actively burn off, while trying to maintain as much muscle as possible while losing the fat (done so by working out while in that state, and not going for too quick of loss as the human body wants to store fat, not muscle by nature). Bulk is consuming more calories then you actively burn off, while trying to build as much muscle. This process will undoubtedly lead to some fat gains.. How much can be controled by how much over your AMR (see above) you are, which can be controlled by a) diet b) cardio c) both.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

kpdus
01-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but what does constitute "the light cardio"? Say for the treadmill cardio: Is walking 4 mph at max incline considered light ? Or, running at 6 mph at 5% incline?

[Btw, the goal is to maintain the current BF% + slow bulk].

Thanks.

CiteCollegiale
01-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Ronnie Coleman does cardio year round because he says it increases his appetite

Edit: if you consider walking on the treadmill for 1 hour cardio

-sin-
01-11-2005, 02:18 AM
Ronnie Coleman does cardio year round because he says it increases his appetite

Edit: if you consider walking on the treadmill for 1 hour cardio

When you are as big as Ronnie, walking on the treadmill for 1 hour IS cardio. :p