PDA

View Full Version : Mass building and diet

Drew84
01-04-2005, 01:16 AM
Is gaining strength and mass really all about absolutely stuffing yourself, adding as much weight as possible? It seems the same answer always pops up when the making gains questions is asked....eat eat eat. I've been lifting on a pretty strict basis for about 9 months, and I've added no mass whatsoever, and I'm only able to add weight to a specific lift once every 4-6 weeks. Up until recently I only sporadically ate things high-in-protein, but mainly just tried sticking with clean food and avoiding the fast food junk. Now, about 75% of my diet is made up of items listed in the "what bodybuilders eat" sticky on this page, and while it seems to me that I eat quite a bit each day, I'm beginning to think it's nowhere near enough. I've got a pretty high metabolism....haven't gained but a pound or two in the last 3 years....so I'm really unsure if that's an obstacle I can even overcome.

agentplaya1
01-04-2005, 01:29 AM
ok, u already know the answer, eat, eat, eat! Keep track of your calories and if you're not gaining, then youre not eating enough calories. Bump them up about 500 more a day until you start gaining. Spread your meals out throughout the day, like 6-7 meals. Prepare them in advance, so you can take em with you if you're out a lot. Shakes are good too if you're not usin em already. A lot easier to drink calories then to eat em.

fen2zla
01-04-2005, 02:03 AM
Post your typical day's diet, and your routine.

Rik-s
01-04-2005, 03:19 AM
Check this out dude. http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=177 Hope it helps :)

Flexx
01-04-2005, 04:36 AM
For adding bulk Follow:
2 grams of protein per pound of bw
3 grams of carb per pound of bw
60-80 grams of fat
eat between 6-8 times a day

Drew84
01-05-2005, 03:08 AM
I'm in college and work 5 days a week, and on those particular days I really only have an opportunity to sit down and eat a meal three times a day...typically breakfast, lunch, and a late evening supper. If I can stray from the good diet and take in some quick snacks (donuts, candy bars, etc) during the day, than I can probably get my required intake. I don't do any cardio aside from what little I may burn off in having a physical labor job.

Lexxi
01-05-2005, 03:31 AM
It's a common misconception that you only need protein in a bulking diet. You actually need a mix of protein, carbs and fat(about a 25%-60%-15% give or take). Remember bulking requires a calorie excess, so people with fast metabolisms will burn calories quickly and may have to resort to weight gainer supplements to keep the calorie surplus.

blaindsmith
01-05-2005, 07:36 AM
i have always wanted to bulk to get some more size in my arms and chest but i think my body does not take well to sooooo many carbs because they all just go right to my stomach as fat it seems. unless i am not complimenting the diet with a good routine to use all the carbs. i was on a 3 day split but i also do NO other physical activities during the day because i have a desk job. would that factor into that the days i have off from the gym and eat so much that i just pack on the fat? should i consider maybea 5 day split with my days off doing cardio? i have a good 5 day split ready that works for me but ive ready a lot that it could be over training but im thinking that it wont be because i barely do any physical activities regularly.

AdmiralDan
01-05-2005, 09:24 AM
use shakes or bars to make up the other three meals, not junk food

CraigVA286
01-05-2005, 09:32 AM
Shakes are the key to non-fastfood bulking IMO .. mix 2 cups milk with 4 tbsps peanut butter with 2 tbsp olive oil with 2 scoops protein and 2 bananas and you're set.

Dirt
01-06-2005, 06:08 AM
For adding bulk Follow:
2 grams of protein per pound of bw
3 grams of carb per pound of bw
60-80 grams of fat
eat between 6-8 times a day

I have to disagree w/ you on one thing. I think 2g/lb of bw is overkill for most people on this site and something like 1-1.25g/lb is a little bit more realistic.

By the way, impressive stats and lifts.