PDA

View Full Version : White baked potatoes?............

[[[----]]]
01-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Ok to eat when bulking?

AdmiralDan
01-06-2005, 04:18 PM
as long as it fits into your nutrient and caloric intake then yes

[[[----]]]
01-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Do they have more calories than sweet potatoes

Holto
01-06-2005, 05:00 PM
hell it's ok to eat while cutting

they were a staple during my 83lb drop

_8_Ball
01-07-2005, 06:40 AM
Yeah, they are fine... they are considered a "good carb"...

Just don't eat 3-4 at one sitting... :)

waynis
01-07-2005, 10:38 AM
I would only eat them post workout. They are a higher GI vegetable carb.

iLUDEd
01-07-2005, 12:46 PM
when are vegetables ever a bad source of carbs?? just as long as u dont bake them with too much oil u should be sweet.. im with holto, potatoes are a norm for me when cutting

Cynical_Simian
01-07-2005, 12:47 PM
I would only eat them post workout. They are a higher GI vegetable carb.

Agreed. Eating a white potato instead of, say, oatmeal, green vegetables, beans or sweet potatoes is like eating white bread instead of whole wheat bread. You're getting complex carbs but in high-GI form and without many other nutritional benefits.

Holto
01-07-2005, 03:58 PM
there is nothing better for us than vegetables

a potatoe comes from nature

most bread comes from factories if not a bakery

either way it's man made

Holto
01-07-2005, 03:59 PM
and white bread is made white from removing the germ and the bran

potatoes are not processed at all

Cynical_Simian
01-07-2005, 07:25 PM
and white bread is made white from removing the germ and the bran

potatoes are not processed at all

Note that I was making an analogy to bread to compare white potatoes to other carb sources that are not or, in the case of steel cut or rolled oats, minimally processed. I never claimed white potatoes are nutritionally equivalent to white bread.

Holto
01-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Agreed. Eating a white potato instead of, say, oatmeal, green vegetables, beans or sweet potatoes is like eating white bread instead of whole wheat bread. You're getting complex carbs but in high-GI form and without many other nutritional benefits.

OK

what nutritional benefits are you missing in white potatoes ?

Cynical_Simian
01-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Gram-for-gram, sweet potatoes have more of most major vitamins and minerals than white potatoes. The main problem, as previously stated, is white potatoes' high GI. Obviously, eating them with meat or some other protein source as part of a meal will blunt the insulin spike caused by high-GI foods to some degree. However, eating a higher fiber, lower GI vegetable or cereal as part of that meal instead would give you less of an insulin response and more consistent energy levels.

Holto
01-09-2005, 09:24 AM
again WHAT NUTRIENTS ARE YOU MISSING ?

or did you mean to say get less of ?

whey you say spike you mean RAISE

a spike is a very serious thing and it's not easy to create

if poatoes spike someones insulin they need to see a Dr

Cynical_Simian
01-09-2005, 11:03 AM
My point was never that white potatoes have no nutritional value, it was that there are better options whether you're looking to get fiber, vitamins or a steady supply of energy from your carbs.

whey you say spike you mean RAISE

a spike is a very serious thing and it's not easy to create

if poatoes spike someones insulin they need to see a Dr

Baked potatoes have a GI of around 85, which, when not eaten with fat or protein, is certainly high enough to cause the rapid release of insulin typically referred to as an insulin spike.

TheGimp
01-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Why would you ever eat potatoes without fat or protein.

[[[----]]]
01-09-2005, 12:51 PM
So white or sweet potatoes are okay when bulking?

Cynical_Simian
01-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Why would you ever eat potatoes without fat or protein.

You wouldn't. My contention has simply been that there are BETTER ways to get complex carbs as part of your dinner.

TheGimp
01-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Yes but they're not significantly better. Avoiding white potatoes is taking things to extremes.

GIS
01-09-2005, 04:43 PM
If you are on a clean bulk I wouldn't worry about white potatoes vs sweet. Hell, I get so many vitamins and minerals through my diet it makes little or no difference that I get 20% more vitamin e from one source compared to another. At the amount I consume my body just passes the excess out without using it anyway.

It's easy to get too concerned about small details when putting together a nutrition plan. If you're bulking, just worry about clean calories (ie natty foods and low sat fat) and eating enough of them. When combined with a multivitamin you have nothing to worry about.