PDA

View Full Version : New Lifting Competition

Keith Wassung
01-07-2005, 06:16 AM
If you could design a new lifting competition-what lifts would you include and or what rules would you add?

I would have the following

1) Bottom Position Squat
2) Two Hand Anyhow-(from the floor to overhead)
3) Deadlift-hands have to be outside of legs

I would give nice medals rather than trophies (easier to display, they dont break, cheaper for the promoter)

I would allow 7 total attempts, spread out however you want, ie, you could take 4 squat attemps, 1 Two Hand anyhow and then 2 deadlifts

would not allow late entries

would have less weight classes

would give out annual leadership awards for those athletes who donate time at their local high school, or any other incentives to people who give back.

at the state level and below, trophies would be given out AFTER the auditorium is cleaned up, ie, everyone pitches in and helps, like it should be any other thoughts, comments, opinions?

Keith

The_Brick
01-07-2005, 05:32 PM
1? Bottom position squat? So u just start down the bottom and press up? I dont think so. That's half of a lift.

3? Deadlifts with hands outside of legs? So you mean conventional deadlifts and not sumo? I don't think so. Some people's body types, mine for example make it next to impossible to lift conventional without overstraining and over bending the back muscles and spine.

I like number 2 and the rest of the jazz. Trophies are cool, u gotta give trophies at least twice a year.

I would add single arm dumbell anyhow- floor to overhead. I would also add un-assisted bench press, no equipment.

The final rankings would be determined by a simple power to weight calculation.

MixmasterNash
01-07-2005, 06:12 PM
I really like the notion of a conventional-only dead. Sumos are so different that I think they should be classified as a seperate lift, or you should require the lifter to stand up fully after they have sumo'ed it.

Adam
01-07-2005, 11:39 PM
I highly agree with these ones:
would not allow late entries

would have less weight classes

would give out annual leadership awards for those athletes who donate time at their local high school, or any other incentives to people who give back.

at the state level and below, trophies would be given out AFTER the auditorium is cleaned up, ie, everyone pitches in and helps, like it should be any other thoughts, comments, opinions?

I'd like to have 4 attempts for each lift. Over 60seconds to get in your next attempt(120 would do)

-TIM-
01-08-2005, 09:52 AM
So you mean conventional deadlifts and not sumo? I don't think so. Some people's body types, mine for example make it next to impossible to lift conventional without overstraining and over bending the back muscles and spine.

Conventional only would be a great idea. Then you can also have a sumo only. Like Mix said, they're much different lifts.

On a side note, what body type makes it next to impossible to do conventionals? Are you tall? I'm 6'3" and wouldn't do them any other way. Just curious :D

Ares
01-08-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm thinking the body type would be short arms long legs..

-TIM-
01-08-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm thinking the body type would be short arms long legs..
So the opposite of a gorilla? Generally it's people who are taller that complain about conventional deadlifts. You're describing a freak of nature :windup:

ElPietro
01-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Lol, I dunno if it would work. All comps start out with the "no late entries" philosophy, then when you realize how much money you are going to lose you eagerly accept them after the deadline.

As for not giving out medals until everything is cleaned up. Good luck with that. You will have only the medalists left over and everyone else will have gone home. Can take forever to clean up after a meet, so you'll have like 8 or 9 people there for the awards portion of your meet.

Last point I'd make, is that if many powerlifting feds struggle for membership, what would make you think an entirely new form of lifting competition would work? Especially with new exercises nobody has really tried before, other than I guess conventional deadlifts. I guess guys that have done some oly stuff, will understand the second exercise you list, but then they'd be into oly comps anyway. I don't get the first one, I'd have to ask the simple question of "why?"

ElPietro
01-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Sorry if my post sounded negative, but I really don't see another 3 lift comp actually working when there is still a struggle to get current lifting competitions into the mainstream. They generally don't make money, and most of the time are losing money. Require more help than they ever get, and takes a long time to get established. So starting something new based on lifts that are somewhat foreign doesn't sound like a feasible idea. Just my thoughts though.

Keith Wassung
01-08-2005, 01:32 PM
you guys have never done bottom position squats before?

My whole point of this thread was to encourage discussion of what would constitute a good lifting competition-it was hypothetical-to encourage discusssion-not to promote some new idea or to ask for opinions on what I posted-I wanted to know what you all thought

biggimp
01-08-2005, 07:02 PM
i would do a full powerlifting meet but add hang clean. (not clean and jerk, just clean)

add a kind of hour long halftime after the first two lifts.