PDA

View Full Version : Diet Critique Please....

Grendal
02-20-2001, 01:10 PM
I'm hoping to get cut up before summer... currently I am 140 pounds @ 10%bf. I'm only 5'8 at best, so i'm by no means one of those stick pole looking guys...
I currently consume about 1800 calories a day.

Protein is usually above 180 with Carbs and Fat both being well under 60grams each.

I live on Chicken / Tuna / Cottage Cheese / Eggs, and occasionaly Peanut Butter Sandwhiches in the morning.

I eat 6 meals a day, a good solid breakfast, a decent lunch, and a not to bad supper. When I can't fit in atleast some chicken or a can of tuna, for my inbetween meals, I eat a protein bar (roughly 200 cals/15 pro w. low carbs).

My only concern is, i've been on this diet pretty strict now for about a month. I work out 5 days a week, doing 45mins cardio every day, and I lift weights 3 of those days as well..

Chest / Tri
Legs / Shoulders
Back / Biceps

Although I am by no means gaining any weight, and i've not added much to how much I can lift (although thats to be expected when cutting cals) What worries me, is i've seen no change in my body fat readings, nor in appearance. I also drink water like its going out of style.... is their something i'm over looking here?

(I also 2 week cycle on/off Xenadrine) any advice would be much appreciated. My goal is about 6 - 7% bf. But damn have I ever plateaued!

- Grendal

YatesNightBlade
02-21-2001, 02:02 AM
Firstly, I wouldn't advise training legs with shoulders. Training legs is hell and if it's not then your not training hard enough. You should be so tired arfter legs that shoulder pressing would be near impossible.

Cardio everyday ???? When do you do this ???? lifting weights 5 times a week and Cardio everyday .... seems like overtraining to me. You need to think about what you want. If you wanna put on weight and build mass ..... knock the cardio down a bit.

It might be an idea to up your carbs abit. This may sound funny, but .... hows your breath ??? Bad breath is a sign that your body is using Protein as an energy source rather then Carbs. In my view 60g carbs is way too low. I was still taking in 150g of carbs when I was carb depleting for a comp. 60g ...... damn you must be going dizzy all the time.

Good luck.

MissAbs
02-21-2001, 09:12 AM
Have you tried to calculate exactly how many calories and grams of protein, carbs and fats you are taking in.

Also, you have to chose one or the other to use for fuel, carbs or fats, right now both are low enough that you may not be getting enough fuel, thus encouraging your body to hold on to body fat

I am not sure where a peanut butter sandwich fits into a cutting program at all, or the bars

My suggestion to you, is that you first figure out exactly what you are eating and then from there you can adjust the macro ratios, and types of food you are eating

Next subject, if you carbs are at 60 grams, it DOES NOT mean you are burning protein at all. Each body is different, and you never burn protein you burn sugar or fat, that is is.
Protein does not give you bad breath, a ketosis diet MAY give you back breath from the excretions of ketones in the body, however you are eating more carbs than I think, you think you are, and highly doubt you are in ketosis.

Grendal
02-21-2001, 09:32 AM
I will begin today trying to drop the fats some more, and up my carb intake... perhaps making my normal servings of Chicken, Chicken Sandwhiches (w. 2 slices of bread) etc.....

I had read quite a bit that peanut butter was an excellent choice as a FAT (good fat) assuming u don't use the Jiffy peanut butter or whatnot... for a diet...

I'm wanting to shed bodyfat as quick as possible.... Would ratios Pro/Carb/Fat wise would u recommend?

Now i'm on about a 1700-1800 cal day diet

an example of a daily meal plan would be like this

Breakfast (C=350 P=31 C=32 F=6)
- 2 Slices of Bread with 2 chicken Strips (boneless/skinless) w. Honey (ok natural sweetner?)
- 3 Egg Whites

10am Snack (C=340 p=16 C=30 F=16)
- 2 Slices of Bread w. Peanut Butter (Natural Pb)

12am Meal (no clue of calorie and carbs)
- Today its gonna be a salad (no dressing) normally I eat a couple of chicken breasts, but today is salad.

2:30pm snack (C=350 P=31 C=32 F=6)
- 2 Slices of Bread with 2 chicken Strips (boneless/skinless) w. Honey (ok natural sweetner?)
- 3 Egg Whites

5pm (C=200 P=50 C=14 F=16)
- Cottage Cheese w. Pineapple

Dinner "post workout" (Everyone knows this ratio)
- Can of Tuna

All in all I will end up getting a little over 1600 Cal +
150+ Pro
128+ Carb
54 Gram of Fat

Any thoughts on how this looks, and suggested changes to help shed bodyfat?

MissAbs
02-21-2001, 09:43 AM
Personally I would stop trying to cut calories, and clean up your food choices

Honey doens't cut it, natural or not, it is not the thing to be using when you want to lean out.

Work on clean carb sources, ditch the bread and use more rices, oats.

In my opinion you are eating to much sugars from many different forms.

Try this, eat totally sugar free including all fruits and anything sweet for 5 days and see if you do not make progress

Also keep your calories at least at the 1800 level if that is what you have been eating for the past few weeks.

YatesNightBlade
02-23-2001, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by MissAbs
Next subject, if you carbs are at 60 grams, it DOES NOT mean you are burning protein at all. Each body is different, and you never burn protein you burn sugar or fat, that is is.

You may burn sugar (glucose) or Fat (Keytones) .... but does your body not convert Protein to Suger (Glucose)as a source of fuel if it has no other option ????? I think you'll find it does. I can't remember the name for it off hand.

Protein does not give you bad breath, a ketosis diet MAY give you back breath from the excretions of ketones in the body, however you are eating more carbs than I think, you think you are, and highly doubt you are in ketosis.

I have read this on numouros occasions from various sources. As I understand it if you are eating large amounts of excess protein you will be excreting more Urea. Bad breath from burning keytones (fatty acids) ...... mmmmmmm."

Why do you think Vampires have bad breath ...... excess protein .... :)

Joe Black
02-23-2001, 02:52 AM
At 140lb's and at 10% you should be pretty lean...

Are you sure you are 10%

I hear people say theyvare 10%, but in reailty perhaps more like 15%.. NOt saying you are lying just saying many people donlt realise that 10% is actually very lean...

If you are 140 lb's and 10% why would you want to cut... Its quite a light weight...

I would eat more, and chances are you would not put on fat anyhow if you are naturally pretty lean....

What are your goals.. ? Long term and short term..

Grendal
02-23-2001, 05:56 AM
I'm sure i'm at 10%, or darn close. Granted the Tanita Scales can be off, but both those scales, and the calipers the guys at the gym use, give me the same reading ranging from 9-11%. I can also see my abs, just not very visible, without having to flex or anything like that....

I know 140 is quite light, but I WANT ABS :)

I'll bulk up at the end of this summer..... :P

The main reason I want to drop the body fat, is that this will be the first summer in a long time that I am actually proud of myself in that area. The summer before last wasn't bad, I was like 160 at 20%, and the summer before that I was like 190 @ (I don't wanna think how high). This has been a couple years progress for me, and although I know i've done a lot of things wrong along the way, such as the whole starving myself type thing when I first started dieting (not knowing any better). So here I sit, a few months out from summer, and its my first chance in my life to ever have abs, and be cut, and I think I can do it. Granted 140 or less and being cut isn't exactly buff, but that wasn't my goal at first, and I refuse to let myself begin a new goal, without ever completing my first one, which was to see abs for 1 summer.

Long term, thinking a year down the line, i'm aiming at actually hopefully coming into next summer maybe 150ish and cut, and progressing from their. I've never been into how much I can lift, but more along the lines of how I look, i'm 24 now and getting my **** together, or trying my damndeest... :)

ahhhhhhh.... long rant :P

YatesNightBlade
03-02-2001, 02:03 AM
:D