PDA

View Full Version : knee cracking - okay?

jazer80
01-07-2005, 04:33 PM
i usually go back and forth between dl's and squats, but today did 5 sets of squats in a row. after i finished, my knees would crack 2 or 3 times while going through the squat motion w/o any weight. i don't stretch per se, but i do a couple really, really light sets on the leg extension machine to get my knees warm, then do set w/ just bar, then bar w/ just 45's, then i begin my routine, so i think my knees are as ready as they could ever be. only difference was that i did more sets total squats than usual and they were all in a row. is this something to be worried about, like an indicator of damage or were they just recovering for a little while? it's been about an hour and a half and they don't seem to be cracking at all any more

heavylifterx
01-07-2005, 04:50 PM
there are a few things this could be... air passing through the joint, (like as if you were to crack your fingers) or it could be a small peice of cartillage that is loose in your knee.... those are the only two things I can think of. I'm not a doctor, but those are the only things that I can present to you. If it doesn't seem serious to you than keep lifting, but maybe you should tone down the sets of squat and deadlift.. all that weight could be the factor of your knee cracking.

I also suggest you take glucosamine pills for your joints.

The_Brick
01-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Try some knee wraps. The knee cracking is likely to be nitrogen escaping from behind the patella when you move it. It's pretty normal. I automatically tend to crack my knees when I wake up. I'm not sure if your knees will crack less with knee wraps or if knee cracking is an indication of a problem. Anyone? Anyone Bueller? Anyone?

Chrispy
01-08-2005, 09:06 AM
my knees crack all the time even when i'm not lifting. i crack em when i wake up and whenever i squat (just like a daily thing) they crack or when i squat in the gym they crack. i wouldn't be concerned.

johnnytang24
01-08-2005, 09:16 AM
I've heard tht as long as there is no discomfort, then it's fine. My knees crack every time I squat, but it doesn't hurt.

jazer80
01-08-2005, 01:35 PM
chrispy, if yours crack all the time our situations are quite different don't you think? i've never heard mine crack until yesterday

theperfectbeast
01-08-2005, 11:59 PM
i was just about to start a thread about this...my knees crack all the time, like when going up and down stairs and when standing up after sitting for a long time. i guess its nothing to worry about?

jazer80
01-09-2005, 06:55 PM
i've heard what johnnytang (is that tang as in sal****er fish by the way?) said before, on several occasions actually.

Relentless
01-10-2005, 06:13 AM
the noise could also just be tendons, stressed from the extra work; my knees and ankles will sometimes 'crack' after heavy work

the others are right, the noise could also simply be a 'cavitation', where nitrogen gas escapes from the joint, like when you crack your knuckles or get certain kinds of chiropractic adjustments...

I think that the bottom line is that if it doesn't hurt and it isn't affecting your performance, then it's most likely not something to worry about

Sleepr
01-10-2005, 03:42 PM
the noise could also just be tendons, stressed from the extra work
How would a tendon make a cracking noise?

bill
01-12-2005, 12:24 PM
My knees crack and hurt over the top of the knee cap. I was wondering if i should start using wraps? Not sure what started it bad form or what, but now I try my best to get my rear back on squats. Anyone with similar problem will the pain ever go away?

jazer80
01-12-2005, 07:52 PM
haha it bleeped out the **** in sal****er

MiamiBallin69
01-19-2005, 05:44 PM
As some guys Have said before its pretty normal. Most of the time I crack my knees in the morning by doing a butt kick or something , so yea i would say its normal