PDA

View Full Version : what is a bad carb?

AzBboy
01-08-2005, 11:12 AM
hi. Lately i been noticing the word 'bad carb' popping up alot in these forums lately. I was just wondering if anyone can explain what a bad carb is and why they are bad? thank you

Cynical_Simian
01-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Whether a carb is good or bad is completely context-dependent. The impact of the carbs you eat on your health and body composition depends on when and from what you get them.

Generally, the so-called "bad carbs" are those with high GIs, namely sugars and highly processed complex carbs, such as those found in non-whole grain breads and cereals. However, high-GI carbs are a critical part of a post-workout shake/meal for optimal recovery. During other times of day, "good" low-GI complex carbs (whole grains, vegetables, etc.) should be eaten.

Cynical_Simian
01-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Also, the main reasons high-GI carbs are considered bad for non-PWO consumption are that they cause insulin spikes and are "empty calories" that don't provide vitamins or other health benefits.

Patz
01-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Good answer. That explained it pretty well I think, and made sense without sounding too scientific.

AzBboy
01-08-2005, 07:10 PM
alrite yea you are the BOMB thanks! and also, as you stated about non whole grain breads and cerials being bad carbs, what types of breads and cereals would be reccomended that are good carbs? whole wheat bread i would assume, as for cereal?

Chrispy
01-08-2005, 08:37 PM
i'm gonna guess **** like captain crunch is bad and stuff like go lean and total are good

Cynical_Simian
01-08-2005, 11:05 PM
As with bread, look for cereals in which whole grains are the only/primary ingredients. Quaker Oatmeal (Old Fashioned, not Quick or Instant) is a staple of the diets of a lot of people on here. Steel-cut (Irish) oats and some multi-grain hot cereals are also very good. I don't eat cold cereals, but Go Lean is supposed to be pretty good, as are some of the well-known whole-grain/high-fiber cereals (Cheerios, Total, etc.). Just be sure to check out the nutrition info and ingredients list to make sure there isn't a bunch of added sugar.

GIS
01-09-2005, 12:34 AM
Don't fear the carb. Many high GI carbs are great for protein synthisis and weight gaining (malto & dextros).

Carbs get far too bad of a wrap in the Atkins era (which is going to fall flat on its face soon). It's all about moderation, and as for bad carbs, it's all the simple sugars that are out there. Grainulated, high fructos, etc are classified as 'bad'. They wont kill you but they are counterproductive in terms of fat prevention.