PDA

View Full Version : Which type of nuts

andy51
01-12-2005, 08:11 PM
offers the best nutritional value?

I was thinking about bringing some to school to get a few more cals in.

Thanks

TheGimp
01-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Almonds are the best in terms of protein and monounsaturated fat content and my personal recommendation.

Walnuts are a decent source of polyunsaturated fat (omegas).

All nuts are good, choose whichever you like the taste of.

fen2zla
01-12-2005, 08:18 PM
All nuts are good, choose whichever you like the taste of.

:withstupi

My fave are cashew's :drooling:

Optimum08
01-12-2005, 08:24 PM
im a big fan of almonds myself, and they are probably the best for you....but im with fen2zla...cashews are sooo gooooooddd....

andy51
01-12-2005, 08:28 PM
well i guess im gonna have to pick up some almonds then

p.s. optimum-no posting in my threads please

Optimum08
01-12-2005, 08:30 PM
p.s. andy is jealous...

abwowang
01-12-2005, 09:11 PM
almonds are the best plus its supposed to be really good for the heart too..
just make sure whichever one..
limit the salt..

waynis
01-12-2005, 09:20 PM
almonds

andy51
01-12-2005, 09:47 PM
alright everyone thanks. I guess its settled on almonds then

MrWebb78
01-12-2005, 09:51 PM
i snack on costco's trail mix.

almonds, peanuts, cashews, raisins, and m&m's. its heavenly.

Jabberwocky
01-12-2005, 09:54 PM
I buy soy nuts, but I am cutting atm.

1/3 cup = 140 cals 10 protein 10 carbs 7 gr. fat.

crazedwombat
01-13-2005, 09:57 AM
soy has a tendency to raise estrogen levels if consumed regularly...or so I've heard

crazedwombat
01-13-2005, 10:03 AM
As far as the notion that soy raises estrogen levels goes, it is true

ok, well maybe only in large amounts

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne3.htm

TheGimp
01-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Soy nuts are roasted soy beans and therefore not nuts but legumes :) They are still a good source of protein and healthy fats though :thumbup:

As far as the notion that soy raises estrogen levels goes, it is true

The following studies would disagree. They suggest that soy intake could decrease estrogen levels in men.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11303585

Effect of soymilk consumption on serum estrogen and androgen concentrations in Japanese men.

Nagata C, Takatsuka N, Shimizu H, Hayashi H, Akamatsu T, Murase K.

Department of Public Health, Gifu University School of Medicine, Japan.

... We conducted a randomized dietary intervention study to determine the effects of soy consumption on serum levels of steroid hormones in men. Thirty-five men were randomly assigned to either a soymilk-supplemented group or a control group. The men in the soy-supplemented group were asked to consume 400 ml of soymilk daily for 8 weeks. The men in the control group maintained their usual diet. Blood samples were obtained just before the initiation of the dietary period and thereafter every two weeks for 12 weeks. Changes in hormone concentrations were analyzed and compared between the two groups using the mixed linear regression model against weeks from the start of the dietary period. The mean (SD) soymilk intake estimated from dietary records during the dietary study period was 342.9 (SD, 74.2) ml in the soymilk-supplemented group. There was a significant difference between the two groups in terms of changes in serum estrone concentrations, which tended to decrease in the soy-supplemented group and increase in the control group over time. None of the other hormones measured (estradiol, total and free-testosterone, or sex hormone-binding globulin) showed any statistical difference between the two groups in terms of patterns of change. The results of the study indicate that soymilk consumption may modify circulating estrone concentrations in men.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10798211

Inverse association of soy product intake with serum androgen and estrogen concentrations in Japanese men.

Nagata C, Inaba S, Kawakami N, Kakizoe T, Shimizu H.

Department of Public Health, Gifu University School of Medicine, Japan.

The cross-sectional relationships of soy product intake and serum testosterone, estrone, estradiol, sex hormone-binding globulin, and dihydrotestosterone were examined in 69 Japanese men. Soy product intake was estimated from a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire. Serum estradiol concentration was significantly inversely correlated with soy product intake (r = -0.32, p = 0.009), and serum estrone concentration was nonsignificantly inversely correlated with soy product intake (r = -0.24, p = 0.05) after controlling for age, body mass index, smoking status, and ethanol intake. Total and free testosterone concentrations were inversely correlated with soy product intake after controlling for the covariates, but these correlations were of border line significance (r = -0.25, p = 0.05 and r = -0.25, p = 0.06, respectively). Similar correlations were observed for these hormones with isoflavone intake from soy products. The data suggest that soy product intake may be associated with the endogenous hormone levels in Japanese men.

no regrets
01-13-2005, 03:13 PM
I love almonds. 1 cup of the almonds I eat have 8 grams of protein and 15 grams of fat. Of the 15 grams only 1 gram of fat is saturated.

GMCtrk
01-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Alomonds are good. But I sat down and ate a 2lb bag myself while studying :(

GrumpyTX
01-13-2005, 03:57 PM
I like Blue Diamond whole natural non-salted almonds. I eat a can of them about every 3 days.

ryuage
01-13-2005, 04:03 PM
I just grab a spoon and some peanutbutter :thumbup:

theguyfrompa
01-13-2005, 04:44 PM
when i put nuts in my fitday.com, the fat grams are so high, do i count them in my daily intake of fat?

fen2zla
01-13-2005, 06:30 PM
when i put nuts in my fitday.com, the fat grams are so high, do i count them in my daily intake of fat?

:nod:

Yes, I would count them.