PDA

View Full Version : Here goes...

hrbib21
01-12-2005, 08:20 PM
:hello:

Hi, new member here. Guess I'll start off with my stats: I'm 33, 6', 233lbs. I bench in the 350lb. range. I don't know about squats or dead lifts because I gave that up many years ago due to a herniated disc (lumbar region) which is a big problem because every few months I can't do anything for a couple weeks because of it. I'm definitely out of shape in the stomach region like so many 30+ year olds but everything else is not bad. The only real problem area is that one area. I do not smoke nor do I drink very much (a couple beers maybe every couple weeks). I played hockey for most of my life and I've boxed (getting back into that a bit) and played softball a bit, too, so I'm no stranger to dedication and willpower.

Basically, I'm looking to tone up and lose about 25lbs. to get down to about 210. I was very solid at that weight with no gut to speak of. That was four years ago. Marriage, house, work responsibilities have taken their toll. I was a longtime member at Bally's in NJ before moving to SC in '00, so I'm no stranger to the gym. Each year, I pretty much slacked off more and more until I got to the point of embarassment, where I am now. I WILL NOT go on the beach (I live a mile from it) because of my current body state.

Anyhow, I'm in the process of changing my diet which isn't too hard because I'm not a junk food junkie. I don't EVER eat fast food or fried foods. I do like to eat a lof of high carb foods like pasta and potatoes and such but I'm cutting down on that, though I do also like to eat a lot of salads and fruit. I'm retraining myself to eat the things I should eat such as higher protein foods. I do not plan on giving up everything altogether because I don't believe in depriving yourself of everything (I don't plan on entering any contests and I'm certainly not a pro athlete of any sort). I do like to have my Oreo's and milk in the evenings sometimes (not every day). I drink a lot of water, something that is a holdover from my better days, so that's a plus.

Today, I started with the WBB Routine 1 (yes, I had my little printout in the gym with me today). Seems to be a good starting point so I'll stick with it for a couple months and check my progress. I'm also hitting the treadmill but I don't run much due to my back issues. On my off lifting days, I'll still be there hitting the treadmill, too, so that should help get some weight off. One goal for this year is to hit the "150 Club" at the gym. According to the computer, I was only there 50 times last year so I definitely have room for improvement.

So, the goals are:

1. Make the "150 Club" and get that t-shirt.

2. Be able to walk on the beach and not be embarassed.

I know I can do it, I just need to stay motivated, especially after down time from my back problems. I used to have the motivation of looking good for weekends hanging out at the Philly bars but that's long over and done with (marriage). So, I need to find other motivational tools such as those above. I'm looking at this as a serious start on my road "Road To Recovery" so here's hoping for the best. :cool:

BTW, I'm definitely open to suggestions so let 'em fly.

fen2zla
01-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Welcome to WBB.

And good luck with your goal's. :)

Optimum08
01-12-2005, 08:34 PM
man sounds like you have the self-motivation to reach your goals...and that is the biggest step...now just follow through with them...just think about not being embarrased and walkin down the beach and just lounging with your shirt off comfortably....and good luck...sounds like you have all the ingredients to succeed..

hrbib21
01-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I can definitely use it. I'll be hitting the treadmill in about an hour.

KiwiBuilder
01-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Good luck bro. You sound pretty similar to me - I'll keep an eye on your progress...

PizDoff
01-13-2005, 02:10 PM
You sound like you know what to do and you want to do it!

DO IT BABY!!!
I look forward to seeing you reach your goals soon.

hrbib21
01-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Well, in two weeks, I've lost 4 pounds so I'm at 230 (same scale, same clothes). Not sure if this is just water weight or what because I always drink a lot of water, something I trained myself to do years ago. I'm eating about 5 meals a day now, working towards 6. I've been eating some of the stuff I always have only differently. For example, we wanted subs the other day. So, I go to a local place where you can get any sub on the menu without the bread in salad form. Was pretty good, too. I've always loved salads so that works for me.

An example of tomorrows planned meals:

8:30am - low fat breakfast bar and/or natural grain cereal
10:30am - banana
1:30pm - turkey and cheese lunchmeat and a salad
3:30pm - grapes and/or an apple
6:00pm - chicken breast, vegetables, and salad
8:00+ - fruit

About breakfast, I always get up just before I need to leave for work so I usually eat at work, hence the breakfast bar. I should try to get up earlier and eat a better breakfast but I have to be realistic. For salad dressing, I have about 4 kinds of vinegar that I use with some olive oil. I actually prefer that over prepared dressings and it's probably healthier, anyway.

One other thing: I hurt my shoulder lifting on Saturday. I think I pulled something so I've been putting a heating pad on it and only doing cardio and and stuff that won't bother my shoulders like curls (using the bench), the tricep machine, and working on my legs. Hopefully, whatever it is, it heals quick.

getfit
01-17-2005, 06:56 PM
hey welcome to WBB good luck with all! :)

hrbib21
01-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks.

Rough day at the gym today. I need to join another gym outside of the one at work. Too damn many people at 5pm and I can't do what I need to do. The other option is to go home and come back but I really don't want to do that. I'll probably just wait it out since about half the people going now are just resolutioners who will give up in a couple weeks. I hate that. I hate people that start things that they don't/won't/can't finish.

This chick says today, "Hey, you're on MY treadmill." I said, "If you can knock me off of it, you can have it." Joking, of course, but not REALLY joking, if you know what I mean. The nerve of some folks... :bang:

andy51
01-18-2005, 09:28 PM
haha your diet look good you seem to be on your way. Good luck. Hopefully you'll be at the beach in no time