PDA

View Full Version : Is this correct?

benchmaniac2
11-17-2001, 04:08 PM
Ok, Im TRYING to help out some people on an 'eating disorder forum' and want to post a reply.

Before i give any wrong advice, i want the following statements checked out by you guys.

So here it is:-

"From fasting, both muscle and fat are lost but as muscle is a more preferred source of energy to fat, more muscle is lost than fat.

Muscle speeds up the metabolism which helps to burn fat. So, by fasting and losing muscle, your are making it harder for yourself to lose fat.

Also, I've heard here(anorexic forum) that a bit of weight-training without eating many calories will help prevent muscle loss, But..its actually possible to lose muscle this way as you are breaking it down and do not have the food to build it back up."

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-17-2001, 04:28 PM
From fasting, both muscle and fat are lost but as muscle is a more preferred source of energy to fat, more muscle is lost than fat.

**no. muscle is stored primarily as a source of protein. Fat is stored as a source of energy. I remember in A-level Biology i was told that when the body taps into reserves for energy it uses a ratio of 60% fat to 40% muscle. I have nothing to back this up though.

Muscle speeds up the metabolism which helps to burn fat. So, by fasting and losing muscle, your are making it harder for yourself to lose fat.

** More muscle means more active respiring cells, so more cals are used up to sustain homeostasis, so in that sense, yes - muscle speeds up metabolism. I suppose you are also correct in your statement, but i'd like to add that by fasting, your body will go into a 'shock' mode [for want of better words] and will slow it's metabolism down to corespond with ther amount of calories it recieves.

Also, I've heard here(anorexic forum) that a bit of weight-training without eating many calories will help prevent muscle loss, But..its actually possible to lose muscle this way as you are breaking it down and do not have the food to build it back up.

** That depends how many actual calories = "many". If a person is consuming less cals then they burn off they will lose weight. They will gain weight if they eat more cals then they burn off. If you weight train in a calorie deficit you stand to lose some muscle.

Lastly, where is the anorexic forum on 'here'? Are you refering to Latty's journal? :)

Big Worm
11-17-2001, 04:32 PM
1. It would not be accurate to say that muscle is the preffered energy source. During the beginning of starvation body fat will be used to supply energy to most body cells. However, red blood cells and the cells of the nervous system prefer glucose as an energy source so once they exhaust glycogen stores they will break some muscle protein to supply some glucose(some amino acids can be converted to glucose)

After a few days of starvation the body will adapt and begin to conserve both muscle and body fat stores and metabolism will slow dramatically. Basically,starcing yourself is not an effective method to lose fat because you body will quickly adapt in order to prolong life.

2. You are absolutely right.

3. Weight training on severely restricted diet is a bad idea since your body will be unable to repair damaged muscle tissue.

Maki Riddington
11-17-2001, 04:35 PM
Wow, an actually post out of CD's mouth.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-17-2001, 04:43 PM
ok, who used my user name to post all that info. Own up.

And maki, wtf does that mean?