PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Water

Kiaran
01-15-2005, 01:33 AM
I don't think I drink enough water throughout the day. Just curious, how much water should one drink per day when they are trying to bulk? Also what exactly does drinking extra water do for a body builder? How important is it to growth? I feel like pis*ing every 20 minutes if I try gorging myself with water, which is very annoying.

Adam
01-15-2005, 02:14 AM
The typical answer as too how much h20 is 1gallon+ per day.
One benefit is that it helps keep your system clean.

Songsangnim
01-15-2005, 02:20 AM
I don't think I drink enough water throughout the day. Just curious, how much water should one drink per day when they are trying to bulk? Also what exactly does drinking extra water do for a body builder? How important is it to growth? I feel like pis*ing every 20 minutes if I try gorging myself with water, which is very annoying.

You may want to be careful. It is possible to drink TOO much water. Do a Google search on "water intoxication". Here is a relevant link.

http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions/dimensions_health/Transcripts/s871112.htm

Lexxi
01-15-2005, 02:36 AM
Muscles are controlled by nerves. The electrical stimulation of nerves and contraction of muscles are the result of the exchange of electrolyte minerals dissolved in water. It's essential that you drink water for health and building muscle. Without enough water, your muscles are not getting enough electrolytes. Muscle strength and control are weakened. If you want to build muscle, than you must keep your body well hydrated. Water also helps out with the lubrication of your joints. Water is an ingredient in the makeup of the synovial fluid, which is the lubricating fluid between your joints. If your weight lifting diet is lacking in water, even for a brief period, less fluid is available to protect these areas. As you add more weight and stress to your body, the demands from weight lifting on the joints will increase. Adequate protective fluid is essential for optimum performance and to give longer life to your joints. Believe me, once your joints go, its never the same.

BFG123
01-15-2005, 06:04 AM
A gallon a day. In the winter its tough. But in the summer I can go through 2 gallons a day.............

Kiaran
01-15-2005, 11:00 AM
damn, a gallon is a sh*t ton of water for me. I'm gonna have to get disciplined and start guzzlin'. I usually drink about 64-72 oz of water a day.

waynis
01-15-2005, 11:42 AM
FIll up a gallon jug at the beginning of the day. Make sure you finish before day is over. You should be fine.

Kiaran
01-15-2005, 02:34 PM
will drinking 3.75 Nalgene bottles work (1 bottle = 1 Liter)? BTW, do you count the water you drink while at the gym? because I can toast 32 ounces while I'm at the gym pretty easily.

MixmasterNash
01-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Water intoxication is almost impossible in everyday life, or even for a weight lifter in a gym, working hard for a few hours.

It's only a real concern for endurance athletes who are sweating a lot, not replacing electrolyes, and drinking a ton of water.

snowster900
01-15-2005, 03:22 PM
For me its pretty easy like 4 out of my 6 or 7 meals i have tons of water with them othere i have some milk or something. I think it is just easier with me because when ever i eat food i have to drink water with it otherwise it takes to long to go down... just bring water with you everywhere a little sip here and there and you should get enough

RussianRocket
01-15-2005, 03:28 PM
there is a water source almost anyware in an avarge north american life. Bring a water bottle with you, fill it, drink it, problem solved.

BigE54
01-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Ya i feel like pis*ing every other second too, which is especially annoying at school. But, its somethin you have to deal with I guess.

Adam
01-15-2005, 09:47 PM
You don't have to worry at all about water intoxication.
Its easier to slowly drink more water each day until you get to your desired amount. Ex. first week do 1L a day, next week do 2L etc.

fabio
01-15-2005, 10:16 PM
if you are working out hard on the gym 1gal of water will go fast. i also feel yea on that pissing every 15 min.

TTT
01-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Quote from ExtremeAnabolic's link:

GEORGIA MILLER: I was drinking up to about 10 litres, sometimes even 12 litres of water, a day. Keep in mind that I was pretty active, physically active, during my work, and that I was spending a large portion of each day outside in the heat, in full sun.
I doubt whether too many of us will have problems. 12 litres is like 3 gallons.

Songsangnim
01-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Quote from ExtremeAnabolic's link:

I doubt whether too many of us will have problems. 12 litres is like 3 gallons.

True. But if you are forcing yourself to drink what you feel you should be drinking, it is possible to have problems. And again it is true that it is highly unlikely that water intoxication will occur in a normal individual, but it can happen. I just didn't want people to think they should try and drink as much water as they possibly can. I agree that about 1 gallon is fine. Much more than that is not necessary (usually) or desirable. Simply pointing that out.

cavman21
01-16-2005, 01:45 AM
a gallon of water is way to much ive talked to many doctors and unless your taking a bunch of supplements its way too much you should be drinking 64oz of water a day thats a good normal amount

Adam
01-16-2005, 02:37 AM
Did you tell them you workout? how much do you weigh? how old are you? How many times a week do you lift? do you do cardio?
Theres way to many variables to say 64oz of water is good a day.
In the summer on a cardio day, i can EASILY go through 2 gallons. I dont even try to drink alot.

Kiaran
01-16-2005, 11:22 AM
a gallon of water is way to much ive talked to many doctors and unless your taking a bunch of supplements its way too much you should be drinking 64oz of water a day thats a good normal amount

So did your doctor say WHY this is the case? or like most doctors did he just say "No no. That is bad. Listen to me, I went to school for 12 years." Why would it be too much?

jack_of_all
01-16-2005, 01:06 PM
US Army survival guide reccomends drinking a pint an hour in the desert when its under 100 degrees and a quart when its over. (this book kicks @$$ yall, i found in barnes and nobles. VERY informitave/entertaining). granted these are desert conditions but keep in mind, exercising causes considerable sweat even in cool temps. so i find that the under 100 degrees to be pretty applicable. even more applicable is the rest of the book mentioning that you should be pissing clear to light yellow never dark yellow. and remember if you only drink enough to stave off thirst your drinking 2/3 what you should.

whatever doctor said 64 oz was lying, ive heard 64 oz minimum reccomended before (8 glasses of whater a day, ive seen that on friggan billboards...).

imho, the only problem with drinking a gallon + a day is that people like me who have no water filter might get sick from the chlorination of the water or other contaminants.

Kiaran
01-16-2005, 02:31 PM
So should you buy artisian water or is using something like a Britta Filter ok for your water?

jack_of_all
01-16-2005, 05:20 PM
to be honest, i drink 2.5 pints of milk and probably 2 pints of fruit juice a day, i dont have to drink more than a few pints of water a day. so i dont worry about stuff in tap water. but maybe i should. from what i hear brittas will fix the problem, but i forget where i heard this so its best to wait for someone on this forum to answer.

Kiaran
11-25-2005, 12:15 AM
Sorry to bump this but does anyone have any other information on this?

Songsangnim
11-25-2005, 03:20 AM
Here you go.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=72048

CarlP
11-25-2005, 06:26 PM
So should you buy artisian water or is using something like a Britta Filter ok for your water?

The filters are probably fine. They keep the water from tasting like pipe.

Votorx
11-25-2005, 10:07 PM
God I use to be able to drink a gallon of water in an hour and half for football, and that was pre-practice O.o.

Dude, seriously your thinking way to much into this.If your that worried about it, use the century old fact, take piss, if it has color drink more water and drink it when you need to. If you start drinking to the point where u feel sick, do what any person with a common sense would do and stop, and there's your solution to overhydration.

Now your problem may not be that your drinking too much water, and may be more on the lines of bladder control. I use to drink much more than a gallon a day and never felt the need to piss every 20 minutes.

As for the water you want to drink. As long as its safe to drink (not coming from the tiolet or the river behind your school), and you can stand the taste, it really shouldn't make a difference. I know, I live in Florida and I'd probably get better tasting water by pissing in my bottle.