PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Vs Powerlifting squats (which for football?)

westy
01-15-2005, 08:48 AM
I was wondering what out of thses two would be most beneficial for a football player, I have trained using both I was just wondering if one is better than the other?

Perhaps both? i tend to do wide stance box squats and shoulder ish width olympic squats.

any thoughts?

idzeroone
01-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Someone probably has a better answer than mine, but I would think about what position I need strength in. If I'm a lineman, how wide are my feet when I'm on the line? What gives me the best mechanical advantage to knock my opponent on his butt? Whatever your position, the biggest thing is to go down slow and explode out of the hole to develop the speed that you'll need on the field. And remember that the wider you feet, the more you use your hams, glutes and back. A narrower stance strengthen you quads more.

Keith Wassung
01-15-2005, 12:03 PM
the difference between the two is not just stance, but technique and depth. The olympic squat is much deeper ( ass to grass) and is pretty much an up and down motion, working the quads, hamstrings and glutes, where the power squat is more of a sit back and down, emphasizing more hips, glutes, upper thighs. When in doubt, do both-switch them up every other workout-that way you will have the best of both worlds.

Keith

westy
01-15-2005, 12:13 PM
thank you guys

Really appreciated

Will be doing them tomo :nod: