PDA

View Full Version : First cut... please help.

JimboJones
01-16-2005, 06:23 PM
Never tried this before. I'm about 5'7", 170, probably estimate my bf% at 15 or so (never measured but top abs visible, pretty low subcutaneous fat, spare tire). I'd like to lose the spare tire and see some more definition from the muscle mass I've been building.

Last couple weeks I've been trying to run a 500 calorie deficit per day, as per the advice on this site, but it's been more like 700 (including 20 miles/week of running and my usual 4-day lifting split). My journal is at http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=mmccarde if anyone is interested/kind enough to look at what I eat. I'm probably underestimating each day slightly because I leave out vinegar, coffee (1 cup per day), and green tea (2-3 cups per day).

Basically, I'm wondering (1) if my diet looks ok given my goals, and (2) what kind of risks I run with a 700 calorie per day deficit versus the recommended 500. I try to eat pretty much constantly--at least every three hours. Consistent 350 calorie breakfast and lunch, 2-3 250 calorie snacks and a 500-600 calorie dinner (can't get out of this habit). Cheats are two dinners per week (Fri and Tues) where I try to hover around 1800-2200 calories and the occasional drink or low cal ice cream.

Thanks in advance.

snowster900
01-16-2005, 06:38 PM
I just looked at your fitday you should still try to get 1 lb of protein for each pound you weigh so for you 170 grams of protein. You dont want to loose the weight to quickly or youll loose some muscle so maybe you coudl add some more calories ( not alot) and have some protein. Make sure your not missing out on good fats like fish oil.... peanuts, PB , and olive oil.

AdmiralDan
01-16-2005, 06:42 PM
should be 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight

JimboJones
01-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Yeah, my goal is 1g protein/lb of bodyweight but sometimes I'm falling 20-30 g short. I'm trying to get as much as possible from whole foods and prioritizing my calorie deficit above hitting the protein goal as long as I can average 160-170 over the long run.

antihero
01-16-2005, 09:06 PM
few things...

whiskey is empty calories. get rid of it

throw in a protein shake or two, and youll get those extra 40+ grams, and pass the minimum that you should be taking in...

AdmiralDan
01-16-2005, 09:41 PM
i agree with antihero. you may also want to cut some of those carbs and replace them with protein. it should help to keep your muscle while you cut

JimboJones
01-16-2005, 09:42 PM
One step at a time with the alcohol... switching to bourbon has probably saved me 1000 calories a week, but, yeah, it's probably no coincidence that if I replaced liquor with protein shakes all my goals would be met.

AdmiralDan
01-16-2005, 10:04 PM
now that i look again, it doesn't seem that you drink that much(just glanced at a couple days). if you only have one drink a day, its not that bad. just make sure that you are in a calorie defecit and you should be ok

Manveet
01-16-2005, 10:36 PM
(2) what kind of risks I run with a 700 calorie per day deficit versus the recommended 500.

Possibly muscle loss.

When it comes to dieting you just don't want to take a ****load of calories away that quickly (unless you are doing a PSMF type diet).

If your dieting technique involves manipulating your caloric balance alone, take it slow. I wouldn't be cutting more than 200 calories per week. I would also keep protein high.