PDA

View Full Version : Cardio after lifting inhibits growth?

trfe
01-17-2005, 10:03 AM
What's up guys?
Ok I've read that if you do prolonged cardio after your lifting that it will inhibit your growth. Is this true? It makes a little sense because after you have a good workout your body needs things like protein and carbs, if you hop on a bike right after you drop the dumb-bells your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs to energize your muscles and help them to grow.
That's all I can think of. Has anyone heard of this or more knowledgeable than myself on this subject?

Also I was planning on lifting from 12-1:30 and then heding back to the gym at 5:30 to do an abs or cycling class, that seems like a good idea to me. You think so too?

Focused70
01-17-2005, 10:07 AM
10 minutes of cardio isn't exactly "prolonged" and yet, it's what many lifters on this board, myself included, do after their workouts.

Stash

trfe
01-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Not sure why you assumed that by "prolonged" I meant 10 minutes. What if i want to do 45 minutes of cardio...that is what i mean by prolonged.

You made no attempt to answer my question, rather you incorrectly tried to define the term "prolonged".

10 minutes of cardio isn't exactly "prolonged" and yet, it's what many lifters on this board, myself included, do after their workouts.

Stash

Focused70
01-17-2005, 10:49 AM
You didn't define your term until just now, so it is not in fact an incorrect assumption.

If you want to do cardio for an extended period, and by that, I mean a period of longer than say, 15 minutes, you might find it a good idea to do it in the evening and not in the morning, and not immediately after your workout.

Your mileage may vary.

There is a search function on this board I believe. Use it, if you feel I made no attempt to answer your question.

Stash

Doobs
01-17-2005, 11:21 AM
You made no attempt to answer my question, rather you incorrectly tried to define the term "prolonged".
You'll probably receive more help if you stop acting like a snot to people that are trying to help you. Search for two minutes, the guy in this thread asks almost the exact same question: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=56571&highlight=cardio+lifting

Rik-s
01-17-2005, 12:14 PM

Stash

He didnt presume you meant 10mins, 15mins or even 1 hour. He was stating that as an example of what He and other's do regarding cardio after lifting. You gotta read the thing as a whole, not split it down into what you dont want to see regarding argumentative/presumtious replies.

trfe
01-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Maybe I was a little harsh off the bat. Stash, I apologize. I just get annoyed when people reply to questions without answering the question. If you don't know, don't respond, unless you have something relevant to say.

I will search next time before I ask.

He didnt presume you meant 10mins, 15mins or even 1 hour. He was stating that as an example of what He and other's do regarding cardio after lifting. You gotta read the thing as a whole, not split it down into what you dont want to see regarding argumentative/presumtious replies.

Focused70
01-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Apology accepted.

I would have answered your query more directly had you been more specific in your request.

Good luck, in any event.

Stash

ps. you might find this (http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=48300&highlight=cardio) to be of some interest. ;)

NaturalBuilder
01-17-2005, 08:34 PM
The time after a weight lifting session is usually a period consisting of catabolic effects. Unless, of course, you do something to prevent/block catabolism. This is where post-workout nutrition comes in. A good fast acting protein shake, and some simple sugar carbs can help to rear off these effects, and can greatly help with the recovery process. I personally believe that the time after a heavy resistance training session should be used for post-workout nutrition and rest. However, if you really want to do the cardio after lifting I would suggest consuming a protein shake and some simple carbs (PWO shake would be best, consists of simple carbs and fast acting proteins). Wait a few minutes after consuming the shake, then complete your cardio session. Follow up the cardio session with another PWO. However, for maximum mass gains I really would move the cardio to another day.

trfe
01-18-2005, 07:53 AM
Sounds good. Thanks for the input guys.