PDA

View Full Version : What to eat first after workout?

trfe
01-18-2005, 09:34 AM
Ok quick little question here. After my workout should I eat my turkey sandwich and fruit or go with my protein shake? I would eat the other one about an hour or so later.

Also with protein shakes, should i use milk in each one i drink or just the one before bedtime?

Thanks guys

Adam
01-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Shake first, preferably shake with fruit.
milk in each shake.

Stupendous
01-18-2005, 09:41 AM
You don't want milk post-workout. . .

FREAKZILLA
01-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Post workout I usually down a protein Shake with Creatine and Glutamine. Chocolate Isopure mixed with EAS Phos Grape Yuuuuuuum. I would go with water postworkout.

I don't eat until about an hour after my workout, If I eat right after my stomach starts to feel queezy.

LoneJeeper
01-18-2005, 11:26 AM
why? lactic acid?

EdgarMex
01-18-2005, 12:18 PM
No, because the fat in the milk would slow down the absorption of whey.

Rik-s
01-18-2005, 12:27 PM

Why is that then?

Milk contains casein, a slow acting protien that prolongs protein synthesis after the increased blood amino-acid levels boost that whey protein gives you....not too mention the fact that it also has simple carbs in it which are also pretty necessary after/during intense training....or is that wrong :confused:

Rik-s
01-18-2005, 12:29 PM
No, because the fat in the milk would slow down the absorption of whey.

Ah i see, must look into that.

doH :)

LoneJeeper
01-18-2005, 12:32 PM
so... a skim milk would be better then, at least a little...

you're thinking then that you want as much protein absorbed as fast as you can get it post-workout?

parhaps a water-based protein shake? or just straight tuna?

KD

EdgarMex
01-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Most people here mix their postworkout shake with water. I think there have been several discussions about water vs. milk on postworkout shakes

Rik-s
01-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Protein powders got a higher Biological value than whole foods, so thier absorbed much more quickly. You still want some simple carbs in there(your shake) thought like dextrose, gloucose etc....just to raise your energy levels a bit and limit catabolism(muscle breakdown).

Read this mate may help a little http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=185 . I'm still looking into this Fat vs Whey absobtion thing though, cant see how it would do that if its digsted differently from whey though :scratch:

Anyone know anything about this, first time i've really considered it tbh :/

_8_Ball
01-18-2005, 12:48 PM
I would eat the SEARCH button if I was you...

This must be the 1000th post on post workout meals / shakes...

trfe
01-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Awesome advice. I kind of did my own thing and ate my sandwich and the shake together. Used Muscle Milk(Mint choco chip) that stuff tastes amazing! It tasted like ice cream. I guess the fat content is a little high(18g) didn't notice until after i had drank some. But you figure the way most of us eat having a little fat in our shakes won't hurt us. Might have to switch off between another powder and this one, 18g of fat 3-4 times a day is a little much though.
I am very interested to hear the conclusion of the "milk hindering whey absorbtion debate"

TheGimp
01-18-2005, 01:25 PM
not too mention the fact that it also has simple carbs in it

The lactose in milk is not an ideal source of postworkout carbs. Lactose is a disaccharide composed of 50% glucose and 50% galactose. Galactose preferentially refills liver glycogen whereas postworkout the aim is to refill muscle glycogen.

Rik-s
01-18-2005, 03:42 PM
The lactose in milk is not an ideal source of postworkout carbs. Lactose is a disaccharide composed of 50% glucose and 50% galactose. Galactose preferentially refills liver glycogen whereas postworkout the aim is to refill muscle glycogen.
Ty for the info man, i take creatine+cranberry juice PWO(22g) as well though so that sorts the carbs bit out. My own use of milk in shakes (250ml+protein+L-Glutamine) is mainly for the casein plus i prefer it to water shakes, just tastes better imo...

I am very interested to hear the conclusion of the "milk hindering whey absorbtion debate"
Same, i'll post anything i find regarding Fat vs Protein absortion.

chuck_b
01-19-2005, 02:06 AM
Ty for the info man, i take creatine+cranberry juice PWO(22g) as well though so that sorts the carbs bit out. My own use of milk in shakes (250ml+protein+L-Glutamine) is mainly for the casein plus i prefer it to water shakes, just tastes better imo...

Same, i'll post anything i find regarding Fat vs Protein absortion.

I usually mix orange juice and two scoops of chocolate-flavored whey together. It doesn't taste as bad as it sounds. (Of course, my wife says I have no taste buds, which certainly comes in handy if you want to eat like a bodybuilder)

I also add a can of low carb peaches or pears, a banana, flax seeds/oil, glutamine, and a couple of tablespoons of liquit egg whites (from Papetti Foods). After blending for 15 seconds, I put about 8 ice cubes in and blend for another 15 seconds. Then I spend 20-30 minutes sipping it, while alternating with a huge glass of water. I also take my supplements (mainly antioxidants) during this time, including Vitamin E, Bromelain, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Amino Acids, Glutamine (already mentioned), and an "Emer-gen-C" effervescent powder packet to replenish my electrolytes and get another 1,000 mg of Vitamin C to go with the Vitamin C I'm getting in my orange juice based protein shake.

And then after about an hour, I'm ready for a steak and baked potato. (Still can't stomach the sweet potatoes, although I know that's the best choice)
Any comments/suggestions on what I've been doing are welcome.

-Chuck
Me with Ronnie Coleman (http://ourworld.cs.com/cfbradford33/BigRon_2.jpg)

emjlr3
01-19-2005, 07:17 AM
right at the end of my lift i eat a banana, then when i get home i have a protein shake with a carnation instant breakfast....then about half hour-45 min later i eat a healthy dinner with lots of protein. hope that helps

WILLGETNICE
01-19-2005, 07:18 AM
I usually take one serving of L-glutamine and drink a Myoplex.

trfe
01-19-2005, 09:53 AM
You shouldn't take vitamin E supplements...search cnn for a piece that came out 2 months ago. You should get plenty of E anyway from your diet. Just take Omega 3 capsules, plenty of E in there as it is.

I usually mix orange juice and two scoops of chocolate-flavored whey together. It doesn't taste as bad as it sounds. (Of course, my wife says I have no taste buds, which certainly comes in handy if you want to eat like a bodybuilder)

I also add a can of low carb peaches or pears, a banana, flax seeds/oil, glutamine, and a couple of tablespoons of liquit egg whites (from Papetti Foods). After blending for 15 seconds, I put about 8 ice cubes in and blend for another 15 seconds. Then I spend 20-30 minutes sipping it, while alternating with a huge glass of water. I also take my supplements (mainly antioxidants) during this time, including Vitamin E, Bromelain, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Amino Acids, Glutamine (already mentioned), and an "Emer-gen-C" effervescent powder packet to replenish my electrolytes and get another 1,000 mg of Vitamin C to go with the Vitamin C I'm getting in my orange juice based protein shake.

And then after about an hour, I'm ready for a steak and baked potato. (Still can't stomach the sweet potatoes, although I know that's the best choice)
Any comments/suggestions on what I've been doing are welcome.

-Chuck
Me with Ronnie Coleman (http://ourworld.cs.com/cfbradford33/BigRon_2.jpg)

chuck_b
01-19-2005, 11:15 PM
You shouldn't take vitamin E supplements...search cnn for a piece that came out 2 months ago. You should get plenty of E anyway from your diet. Just take Omega 3 capsules, plenty of E in there as it is.

I see that Vitamin E is in my fish oil capsules, but the amount is not quantified, so I'm assuming it's only a trace amount.

That study was conducted by a medical community that's already hostile towards dietary supplements because it cuts into their profits. Plus the findings were contradictory. I think they just jumped to conclusions for a sensational headline, and of course all news organizations bought into it.

BTW, the one I take is only 200 IU, which is well below the dose they warned against anyway.

-Chuck