PDA

View Full Version : Nurtient Timing - Questions

Machher
01-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Anabolic window which according to the nutrient timing articles, lasts 2 hours after the workout.

So would it be feutile to consume larger amount of protein after this phase in hopes for gains? After this protein and glycogen is stored for energy?

So basically to see optimal gains eat the bulk of your extra calories and protein in this 2 hour window?

Also heres a scenario..

i consume 60g of protein for breakfast, 40 g of that is used for living 20 is left over. Where will it go? Fat or Yesterdays lifting repairing, or stored for this evening lifting session?

Sum 1 summarize for me if i have it all wrong.

The_Brick
01-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Too complicated. I'm going to the gym.

Adam
01-18-2005, 08:05 PM
:withstupi
your overanalysing
Your body keeps repairing for much longer then 1 day so the extra 20 woould go to repair damaged muscle.

NaturalBuilder
01-19-2005, 08:57 AM
You can indeed speed up your recovery by post workout nutrition. People have known this for years. Don't make it too complicated, however. Consume a fast acting protein (whey), and something to spike your insulin levels (low fat ice cream). I take a PWO shake, Countdown. Don't feel like spending the extra money? You can make your own. Whey protein, 12 oz water, crushed ice cubes, 1 cup ice cream, and a banana. Blend that **** up into a creamy PWO shake and you're all set.

After your workout your body will be depleted, but don't read much more into it than that.

smalls
01-19-2005, 11:24 AM
i consume 60g of protein for breakfast, 40 g of that is used for living 20 is left over. Where will it go? Fat or Yesterdays lifting repairing, or stored for this evening lifting session?

I dont understand what your saying here. Who knows exactly where each gram of protein they take in goes? I take in about 70g in most meals. Everyone has made good points on postworkout nutrition. Lots of fast digesting carbs and protein. Total cals for the day are more important, but postworkout is probably the most important single meal of the day, IMO.

JimboJones
01-19-2005, 11:44 AM

From what I understand, if you take in more protein than your body can use it gets converted into sugars and then either used like any other nutrient or stored as fat. What's unclear is how much protein your body needs and most people on this site seem to err on the side of too much rather than too little. That's fine, but you're deluding yourself if you think excess protein is somehow stored up and only used productively in building muscle mass.

Machher
01-19-2005, 12:19 PM
so now im completely confused. First this article says the repair phaze takes 9 hours, some sources say 7-14 days others say just a few days.

So really how long does the repair phaze take, and how big is the anabolic window?

Twin Peak
01-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Repair phase? Anabolic window? You use these terms as if there is a single magical answer.

How long it takes a muscle to repair depends on:

* how intensley you trained
* how much volume you used
* your adapation to training
* your genetic ability to recover
* your diet

You cannot ask that question in a vacuum.

Same goes for the "anabolic window" which is just a term that reflects the fact the exercise is a potent nutrient partitioner -- i.e. it signals the body to direct calories to muscle as opposed to fat.

Adam
01-19-2005, 09:42 PM
^^^ excellent answer.

Shad
01-20-2005, 03:13 PM
Repair phase? Anabolic window?

Same goes for the "anabolic window" which is just a term that reflects the fact the exercise is a potent nutrient partitioner -- i.e. it signals the body to direct calories to muscle as opposed to fat.

Alright well how about an average, i knew repair phaze is greatly variable. But the anabolic window as everything else in bodybuilding caries from person to person. An average.. do i have a certain number of hrs to consume the protein b4 it starts going to fat?

Vido
01-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Alright well how about an average, i knew repair phaze is greatly variable. But the anabolic window as everything else in bodybuilding caries from person to person. An average.. do i have a certain number of hrs to consume the protein b4 it starts going to fat?

It's not like everything you eat outside this "window" is going to be stored as fat. If you're eating at your required calorie levels, you won't be storing any fat, regardless of when the calories are consumed.

wakejump4me
01-23-2005, 11:43 AM
so now im completely confused. First this article says the repair phaze takes 9 hours, some sources say 7-14 days others say just a few days.

So really how long does the repair phaze take, and how big is the anabolic window?

60 g protein for breakfast .........depends on your weight and what kind of protein are you taking
but no matter which kind it's a fact that about 30 % of that amount will be needed for energy to digest the protein.....most people don't know that .

and the anabolic window is within 60 min of your workout ...so high gl liquid carbs (about 0.4g/lb bw ) best maltodextrin/dextrose 50/50 mix and about half that amount comes from protein (hydrolysate)

and then within 5 hours past your post shake (which in my opinion should be consumed about 15 min after your last rep) you should have 2 more meals with carbs + protein

but reduce your carbs slowly and increase your protein at the same time

bot meals should be solid meals and contain also healthy fats and vegetables

no more carbs + protein till your next workout if you're having a tight schedule (working out same time )

so :
during the day -----prot + fats

during workout -----carbs + prot
post workout ---------carbs + prot

2 more meals after as said already

Twin Peak
01-23-2005, 12:01 PM

I would say on average you get significantly increased partitioning from lifting for 2-3 hours post lifting. You will get increased partioning for a much longer period, however.

All of this will not only greatly vary by the person, but it will vary depending on how long, and intense the workout is.

That said, it is not as if for these two hours whatever you eat goes to muscle, and the rest of the time it goes to fat. It doesn't work like that.