PDA

View Full Version : Raw Oats Question

Patz
01-18-2005, 08:35 PM
When I mix a whey shake, I do two scoops vanilla, 2 cups of skim, and 1 cup of oats. This is a good shake for me, and I pretty much just chew the oats as I'm drinking the shake. My problem is that I'm getting gas something awful! I'm the kind of guy that can put a can of black beans down in one sitting and not even fart the rest of the day, but since I started these shakes 3 days ago I'm miserable with the gas. I saw where someone mentioned soaking the oats beforehand. I've taken them right after adding them to the shake, and twice I've driven to work (about 30min to park and log in) before drinking/chewing it. I figure they are soaking while I drive, but is it enough? Is there anything I can do? Is is the whey?? I've never used whey alone before either. This week is the first week for all of it.

Help :fart:

Jabberwocky
01-18-2005, 08:50 PM
It's probably the whey.

Patz
01-18-2005, 09:23 PM
You think so? I could find that out easily enough by omitting the oats for a couple days,and letting my system adjust to it. I like the oats in there cause it's filling, gets me the calories I need, and adds 10g of protein. I could just be a weirdo and dump half a cup of cottage cheese in it I guess. I don't think I can stomach tuna in there.

Slim Schaedle
01-18-2005, 10:21 PM
I've recently resorted to using tuna in that fashion. I think it ranks up there among the top hardcore things one can do as a bodybuilder. That, and being one of the most disgusting.

thajeepster
01-18-2005, 10:58 PM
its the protein bro, most bodybuilders have the gas problem due to the high amount of protein we take in. Keep the oats.

Patz
01-18-2005, 11:04 PM
this isn't just stinky gas..this is hardcore, hot, power-gas..all freaking day long..every 5min i rip out a juicy one..when i was eating like 160g of protein, i didn't have it..monday my protein was average i guess..yesterday it was 250, and today it was about 270...

should i try taking out the oats? aer you sure it's not just my body having trouble digesting the oats raw?

Patz
01-18-2005, 11:05 PM
i think i may keep them til the weekend and see if my body adjusts to it

Slim Schaedle
01-19-2005, 07:55 AM
i think i may keep them til the weekend and see if my body adjusts to it

This is weird because after reading your posts I assumed it would be the protein causing the farts. But then I realized that I have just recently (within the past 2 weeks) been making shakes with raw oats and my fart condition is the same as yours. But the exception is that mine don't start until later in the day when I finally start eating "real" solid food. So you may be right about the oats.

Hatred
01-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Get used to it. I've been waking my girlfriend up with "Hot Power gas" for a long time.If it really bothers you get some beano. I'm serious.

Patz
01-19-2005, 06:26 PM
This is weird because after reading your posts I assumed it would be the protein causing the farts. But then I realized that I have just recently (within the past 2 weeks) been making shakes with raw oats and my fart condition is the same as yours. But the exception is that mine don't start until later in the day when I finally start eating "real" solid food. So you may be right about the oats.

Hmm...While I've been eating an elevated amount of protein, but no shake/oats, I've had extra gas, but it's liveable. Today I had the shake (usual time of about 10:30am), and I was gas-free until about 3-3:30pm, and it kicked in hardcore. It actually settled down a bit by about now, but it's there definitely. It's weird that it took longer to kick-in. The other times it came on strong either left-over from the day before, or within about an hour of drinking the shake, so I don't know what's up.

I'm gonna give it through the weekend with the oats and see if it continues to get better.

[[[----]]]
01-19-2005, 07:05 PM
I have had the same exact problem! BAD BAD Gas, and it's funny because it only started when i added the oats, also i'm drinking extra milk daily too. That good also be the cause.

Patz
01-19-2005, 08:19 PM
the only milk i'm drinking is 2 cups of skim in my shake..none other than that

i'm gonna stick with the oats, and see if i adjust (i can tolerate a lot of weird shiznit), and if not i'll try without..if the oats were it, then i'm gonna try cooking them really soupy and then adding them..i need those oats in there