PDA

View Full Version : Chiseled jawline

adam29
01-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Although I usually only read these forums, I've been inspired to register to post to ask an unusual question. I've been lifting consistently for a little over a year. I'm very skinny with a low body fat percent, so I've gotten cut pretty easily... however, in my face, I still have a saggy (this is kinda exaggerating, but I don't know how to describe it) chin/jaw area. I really want to tighten that area, so I'd have a more chiseled jaw line. Is there some exercise to do this? Perhaps I could just chew alot of gum... but I was wondering if there were any exercises where you used a neck muscle to balance would actually tighten the jaw area.

I know this is a dumb question, but I figured if somebody had the answer to this question, they probably post here. :)

andy51
01-19-2005, 08:44 PM
I would think that it is just genetics of how your face looks, but maybe there are some ways to tighten it up

Optimum08
01-19-2005, 08:49 PM
adam...does the look of your chin really bother you that much?...my face is chubby and it doesn't bother me...and andy's just plain fat...but he doesn't let it get to him either....the gum idea might be a good one? or like fat andy said...it might just be genetics...

andy51
01-19-2005, 08:56 PM
I have the chiseled jawline of a gallant knight optimum has the jawline of this smilie's :moon: booty

Gabrielle
01-19-2005, 09:07 PM
sounds like extra skin..maybe you are not as cut as you think or hold water in your face...there many, many variables

waynis
01-19-2005, 09:14 PM
growth hormone will get your face looking very chisled. NOT recommended!

thalakos84
01-19-2005, 09:21 PM
A chiseled jawline is determined mostly by your bone structure. If the sharp edges aren't there, good luck trying to look like Fabio. My jawline is really gaunt. People tell me I look like a comic-book character. It's my cheekbones that offset the sharp edges of my jaw. It the genetics aren't there, it's not going to happen.

Adam
01-19-2005, 09:26 PM
As most have already stated it relies alot on genetics, and it relies on your bodyfat to.

adam29
01-19-2005, 09:31 PM
adam...does the look of your chin really bother you that much?...my face is chubby and it doesn't bother me...and andy's just plain fat...but he doesn't let it get to him either....the gum idea might be a good one? or like fat andy said...it might just be genetics...

Honestly, it doesn't bother me. It's just something that I would change if I could, so that's why I was asking if there were any exercises. Also, it's not that the bone structure isn't there... it's that it's like I have some fat under my chin (again, I'm slightly exaggerating it, but I don't know how to describe it) that prevents me from having a chiseled look. Also, my body percent was 6% last time I checked.

Adam
01-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Then you would have to drop a couple %'s to see more of the chisle then.

The_Brick
01-19-2005, 10:51 PM
LOL. Yeah because its really easy to drop from 6% naturally.

dissipate
01-19-2005, 10:57 PM
this is interesting... i've seen some big guys at my gym whose faces look pretty chubby. i haven't seen their mid-section so i can't guess what % bodyfat they're at.

Adam
01-19-2005, 11:06 PM
He didn't say what method he was tested by so he could be much higher.
6% is Really low. Usually the only way to get that way is through some hardcore dieting/cardio.

LoneJeeper
01-20-2005, 06:20 AM
chewing gum would only develop mandibular muscles... the ones just below and in front of your ears. my only guess would be make a lot of silly faces. not really. I'm guessing you're stuck with genetics.

kd

crazedwombat
01-20-2005, 06:31 AM
yea. cant spot reduce either way. so either drop more bf or accept the genetics. Running tends to tighten up the skin because of the jarring when you step, that on top of the cardio fat burn work out and you should lose a little bit more. Irish decent tends to get that extra chin/ chubby cheeks..so it depends on genetics for ultimate look in the end

sublime99
01-20-2005, 08:20 AM
If you chew gum like 5-8 pieces at a time your jaw should be more defined in no time. :D

Mad Max
01-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Yeah lower bodyfat would help.
However I think working out your mandible muscle could help. Look at some of the pics of Brad Pitt for example (Brad Pitt seem sto be brought up here a lot), it doesn't look like it's necessarily his bone structure that gives him that chiseled look, his jaw muscles look huge.
As ridiculous as it sounds, try this. Rest a barbell with suitable weight on your chin, supporting it as little as possible with your hands. Tilt your head back as far as possible. No the really silly part, open and close your mouth, oushing the weight up and down on your chin. You should feel it in your jaw muscles. Go for about 15 reps or something.
If the foregoing about Mr Pitt's jaw line is correct, then within a few months you'll be a classic heart throb.

Good luck, and I am actually being quite serious here.

thalakos84
01-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Busted teeth anyone?

crazedwombat
01-20-2005, 09:25 AM
madmax man you're insane. there's got to be better ways of doing that and besides it's probably better to concentrate on your other muscles than your bubblegum muscles. why would any straight guy need those muscles anyways? I say work below the neck and the ladies wont be looking at your jaw line, they'll be looking at the huge pecs and arms.

geoffgarcia
01-20-2005, 10:28 AM
cosmetic surgery

stumbleandfall
01-20-2005, 10:34 AM
hello there,
i have the same problem, so i know how fustrating it can be. i came across this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0330490303/qid=1106242226/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-1585482-2575629), which seems to tackle it:

i havent been using it for long so i can't tell you how effective it is.
hope it helps.

Rik-s
01-20-2005, 11:48 AM
cosmetic surgery

Funny that, just what i was thinking.

Info: http://www.jawaugmentation.com/

RussianRocket
01-20-2005, 03:23 PM
I think there was a thread on something like this a while back. Its about how to workout your face, as i recall actors use certain methods to exercise muscles in their face so people can see them from far away and their expressions. First actor i think of is Willem Defoe, but i think most is genetics. But it wouldnt hurt to try.

Guido
01-20-2005, 03:40 PM
cosmetic surgery

Seemed to work well for Michael Jackson!

suprarob
01-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Seemed to work well for Michael Jackson!

THAT"S WRONG...SO WRONG...ROFL
:nod:

Mikael
01-20-2005, 04:14 PM
I was bulking last spring and summer and my cheeks really grew in size, and my jawline got flabbier. Sure, I got bigger... But I don't think I want to bulk again. It's not worth it. Where I live, women don't really care whether you're 180 or 200 pounds. However they will care if your face looks fat because you went for another bulk, or if it's nicely chiselled because your bodyfat percentage is low (bonus: you get to show your 6 pack if your bodyfat percentage is low enough). So it's all about motivation really. For me, women come first, and getting bigger comes second.

Chrispy
01-20-2005, 04:29 PM
on average at what bodyfat % would your 6 pack show. i know it depends alot on your ab muscles and everything but on average.

Adam
01-20-2005, 09:18 PM
6-16%
lol

Bravo
01-21-2005, 02:36 AM
madmax man you're insane. there's got to be better ways of doing that and besides it's probably better to concentrate on your other muscles than your bubblegum muscles. why would any straight guy need those muscles anyways? I say work below the neck and the ladies wont be looking at your jaw line, they'll be looking at the huge pecs and arms.

From my experience teh ladies don't normally go for "huge pecs and arms", but an all around developed physique and low bodyfat. Trust me.

Guido
01-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Bravo is absolutely correct for the most part.

Studies have shown that women go more for men with lean, muscular bodies over hugely developed men. Must be an intimidation factor or something.

From http://cms.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-19941101-000022.html :

"Men and women also parted company in the domain of male muscle mass. Men value muscle mass, while women are less interested in oversized biceps and pecs. In ranking male body types, women gave first place to "medium with moderate muscle mass," while "medium with competition muscle mass" came in a lowly fourth. When men estimated women's preferences, however, competition body build narrowly missed second place.

We asked women directly, "how important it is for you that [a man] have noticeable muscles," and we asked men how important muscles were to them. The differences were striking: twice as many women as men said that male muscles did not matter at all.

Male fascination with muscles may have more to do with other men than with women. Men were aware that massive muscles were no major attraction to women. Only 27 percent agreed with the statement, "Men pictured in body-building magazines are attractive to most women." In fact, just 20 percent of women acknowledged finding body builders attractive."

Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule.