PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder problem on cleans.

RussianRocket
01-20-2005, 12:59 AM
My left shoulder hurts after doing cleans. I usually feel it when i'm putting the weight down, not when going through the motion of a clean. Basically after i fish my clean, and the bar is on my shoulders i begin to lower the weight down, (i dont drop the weight, I go for 5 reps per 3 sets) thats when i feel the left shoulder ache. I'm not sure why this is, i started doing cleans seriously about 3 weeks ego.

Adam
01-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Hmmm, this is only a guess but it sounds like you just need to ease up on cleans for a while and slowly reintroduce them into your routine, starting light.
To me it sounds like the pulling motion from your arm being yanked is yanking on the rotator cuff.
How heavy are you doing them now and whats your dead max?

Eddan
01-20-2005, 02:03 AM
I used to get something like that too. For me it helps to pull back my shoulders and "pinching" my shoulderblades at the start of each clean.

lilmase1153
01-20-2005, 04:10 AM
which part of your shoulder front rear ect... i can feel my rear delts really strain as i go up in weight but aside from getting sore it doesnt hurt.. but id go with adams advice start at a low weight and slowly introduce them to your routine..

RussianRocket
01-20-2005, 01:56 PM
the pain is more on the front of my delts. My max dead is probably around 230 - 240lb, i'm cleanning around `100lb give or take 5 pounds for 5 - 6 reps. Maybe the problem is my technique. I'll lower the weight to 80lb and see how that goes for now. Thanks for the input guys.

Brad Cardoza
01-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Sounds to me like you just need to lighten the load on your cleans. I wouldn't worry about where your deadlift is, but maybe get used to doing some hi pulls, barbell shrugs and barbell holds for time to get you shoulders used to that weight hanging in front of you.

RussianRocket
01-21-2005, 12:42 AM
the problem isnt holding the weight. The shoulder hurts half way to lowering the weight to front to begin the movment over again. Maybe im too agressive bringing the weight down instead of being a bit nicer.