PDA

View Full Version : bulking after a carb-depleted diet

FenianIrish
01-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Curious -

I hear lots of things about people who balloon up very, very quickly after adding carbohydrates to their diet post-Atkins (fat and water-retention-wise). I've heard it attributed to the body getting used to having all that glucose floating around instead of glucogenesis taking place via ketosis...

Now, I'm curious - for muscle building does it have the same effect? In other words, I've been lifting for whatever months completely carb depleted - and of course I've seen no size gains because, well, no glucose means no building... if I add some carbohydrates will I just gain a ton of fat real quick, or could my body react by adding tons of muscle?

Not really sure if that makes sense, but, if I don't get a solid answer I guess I'll do it the way I'd originally planned - by slowly adding low GI carbs until I'm a normal carbo-processing human being again.

Erin

Manveet
01-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Slowly adding carbs is the right idea.

You will not gain fat be re-introducing carbs to your diet (provided that you are not eating a huge surplus of calories).

Just add calories and carbs slowly, no need to rush things...

Shao-LiN
01-21-2005, 06:48 PM
You should never abruptly add a whole lot of calories back to your diet, always taper back up or taper down depending on your goals.

iLUDEd
01-22-2005, 08:05 PM
^^
what they said.

also, eat a few weeks at maintenance after your cut before you bulk.

Adam
01-22-2005, 10:10 PM
yup, I agree with everyone above.
Slowly add your carbs/cals.
Innitially you will balloon up from the carbs. Its because your on atkins right now so all of your muscles are flat.
You'll probly put on 3-7lbs in the first week because of it.(its not fat, its water)