PDA

View Full Version : PWO drink milk or water

wood6
01-21-2005, 08:45 PM
I am sure this has been asked before. I was unable to find an answer in a search. Is there a major difference between milk or water? I will be using 50/50 dex malt with it.

jazer80
01-21-2005, 09:14 PM
first off if you're referring to adding malto / sugar w/ milk you're in for a gross ass shake. what are you using for protein, post workout, and what are your goals? my goal is to get big / strong, so i go for the fastest digesting sugars/proteins right after a workout, and avoid fats because they slow digestion, which i don't want around my workout times (but do want at other times of the day). now, if you're using milk as your primary protein source after a workout, i would advise you use fat free, otherwise you're going to slow down the protein and sugars/malto. also you're gonna have to drink a good amount of milk. i can't remember the breakdown of protein in milk, but it is majorly casein protein, and a smaller amount whey protein. i use primarily whey protein post work out, to get aminos in my muscles as quickly as possible. shortly thereafter i have something much slower digesting, like soy (or casein or meat or egg, whatever anything besides whey) to keep steady flow of aminos. this can also be accomplished w/ a blend of protein (like pro complex at gnc or nitrean from this site's sponsor).

sorry so long, but basically i'm assuming that if you mixed your 50/50 with water that you would have an additional protein source come into play (i'm hoping you're not talking about foregoing the pwo protein altogether). i would do this and use the 50/50 w/ whey protein, and have the milk a little while later, maybe 20-60 minutes afterwards. everyone does pwo nutrition differently, but you want to make sure there's sufficient stuff for your muscles, and it gets there in time, hence fast proteins / carbs.

wood6
01-22-2005, 11:32 AM
first off if you're referring to adding malto / sugar w/ milk you're in for a gross ass shake. what are you using for protein, post workout, and what are your goals? my goal is to get big / strong, so i go for the fastest digesting sugars/proteins right after a workout, and avoid fats because they slow digestion, which i don't want around my workout times (but do want at other times of the day). now, if you're using milk as your primary protein source after a workout, i would advise you use fat free, otherwise you're going to slow down the protein and sugars/malto. also you're gonna have to drink a good amount of milk. i can't remember the breakdown of protein in milk, but it is majorly casein protein, and a smaller amount whey protein. i use primarily whey protein post work out, to get aminos in my muscles as quickly as possible. shortly thereafter i have something much slower digesting, like soy (or casein or meat or egg, whatever anything besides whey) to keep steady flow of aminos. this can also be accomplished w/ a blend of protein (like pro complex at gnc or nitrean from this site's sponsor).

sorry so long, but basically i'm assuming that if you mixed your 50/50 with water that you would have an additional protein source come into play (i'm hoping you're not talking about foregoing the pwo protein altogether). i would do this and use the 50/50 w/ whey protein, and have the milk a little while later, maybe 20-60 minutes afterwards. everyone does pwo nutrition differently, but you want to make sure there's sufficient stuff for your muscles, and it gets there in time, hence fast proteins / carbs.

I am going to use whey as well about 34 g. What I was really trying to figure out is will the milk stop/slow the dex/malto replenisment. From what I read I thought it was more important for the dex/malt to enter the muscle as fast as possible. If it is a matter of the dex/malto bringing the protein with it as well and the milk inhibits it then thats different

jazer80
01-22-2005, 01:12 PM
well the only thing in milk, that i've ever heard anyways, that could slow absorbption of anything is fat. i mean if you drink fat free, i guess having the casein (slow digesting) could slow things down a little, but that would be negligible.

TheGimp
01-22-2005, 01:42 PM
well the only thing in milk, that i've ever heard anyways, that could slow absorbption of anything is fat. i mean if you drink fat free, i guess having the casein (slow digesting) could slow things down a little, but that would be negligible.

Casein forms a clot in your stomach digesting over a period of about 7 hours. Its effect on the digestion of other food will not be negligible.

waynis
01-22-2005, 03:02 PM
drink with water. If your drinking it before bed you can drink with milk.

jazer80
01-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Casein forms a clot in your stomach digesting over a period of about 7 hours. Its effect on the digestion of other food will not be negligible.
how much of an effect would casein cause (in relation to things like fiber or fat)? i mean there's only 8 grams of protein in a serving of milk, and it's not all casein.

MrWebb78
01-22-2005, 05:18 PM
i use water, milk does NOT sound good after a workout. plus i am of the old school mentality that milk will slow it down, even if its not true its what i choose to believe.

Adam
01-22-2005, 05:34 PM
:withstupi
and milk goes bad in the gym bag, as opposed to water.

iLUDEd
01-22-2005, 07:27 PM
water.

GMCtrk
01-22-2005, 07:30 PM
h20

Lonewolf
01-25-2005, 08:26 AM
milk is ~ 80% casein and 20% whey

greekboy80
01-25-2005, 09:05 AM
so is anyone saying its not good to take Nitrean after a workout? cause of the Casein?

TheGimp
01-25-2005, 09:20 AM
so is anyone saying its not good to take Nitrean after a workout? cause of the Casein?

No, it is fine postworkout. Studies on the speed of whey digestion are based upon individuals who have fasted for a significant period of time (8 hours?) before consuming the whey. It is unlikely this scenario would ever occur in real life - you will always have something in your stomach affecting the speed of digestion of your post workout shake so there is no need to worry about the affect of the casein on the rate of digestion. If it really concerns you, you can split your post workout shake into a pre and post workout shake.

ryuage
01-25-2005, 09:55 AM
I workout first thing in the morning most times so I guess i fit in that scenario :) so how is it unlikely... lol

TheGimp
01-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Surely you eat something before the workout?

jazer80
01-25-2005, 10:41 AM
No, it is fine postworkout. Studies on the speed of whey digestion are based upon individuals who have fasted for a significant period of time (8 hours?) before consuming the whey. It is unlikely this scenario would ever occur in real life - you will always have something in your stomach affecting the speed of digestion of your post workout shake so there is no need to worry about the affect of the casein on the rate of digestion. If it really concerns you, you can split your post workout shake into a pre and post workout shake.
why would you recommend nitrean w/ casein but not milk?

TheGimp
01-25-2005, 10:46 AM
I didn't not recommend milk, I just said its casein content would have some kind of effect on digestion :)

The other problem with milk is the lactose - a disaccharide composed of 50% glucose and 50% galactose. Galactose preferentially refills liver glycogen when postworkout you want to be refilling muscle glycogen.

Nevertheless I doubt mixing your postworkout shake with milk instead of water will make too much of a difference.

jazer80
01-25-2005, 01:41 PM
sorry to put words in your mouth, it's just i assumed that if you think milk is going to slow digestion (due to casein) that you wouldn't want it around workout time. is being so anal about rushing down quick protein (whey) and sugars pwo hyped up / overrated?

BCC
01-25-2005, 02:22 PM
I use milk post workout a lot of times. I think the difference is negligible to me because I'm constantly filled with digesting foods. I'm sure I still have protein being digested during my workouts.

TheGimp
01-25-2005, 07:00 PM
is being so anal about rushing down quick protein (whey) and sugars pwo hyped up / overrated?

Personally I would say that to an extent it is. It probably won't make too great a difference, but all the little things can add up.

trfe
01-26-2005, 10:25 AM
This(below) has to win some sort of award for "the dumbest post".
It is essentially the same as saying, " I'm from the old school mentality that the world is flat, even if it's not true it's what I choose to believe."

i use water, milk does NOT sound good after a workout. plus i am of the old school mentality that milk will slow it down, even if its not true its what i choose to believe.

Adam
01-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Sorry to bust your bubble trfe, but milk CAN slow it down.
If you have dex/malto in it it will act slower with milk.

jazer80
01-26-2005, 08:23 PM
trfe, please don't post things like that. it's a waste of your time and everyone who read it. this part of the site is for sharing of info, not opinion