PDA

View Full Version : Who likes cardio?

WatchThisSpace
01-22-2005, 05:10 PM
I am cutting at the minute, so obviously the word 'cardio' is stamped on my forehead with massive explanation marks. I train at home and I have a decent cross-trainer.
I am aiming for 30 minutes everyday. You see, I cannot do this all at once. So I do a warm-up (5 minutes), stretch, do weights then back on the cardio for 30 minutes.
Q: Can I do bursts of cardio during the day that adds up to 30 minutes? All at once kills me with boredom. :rolleyes:

ryuage
01-22-2005, 05:12 PM
its just 30 minutes... play some music or watch some tv

AdmiralDan
01-22-2005, 05:22 PM
i'm with ryu, but if you want, try splitting it up and see if you still make gains. or try doing it 4 times a day for 10 minutes. more cardio and you might not mind it as much

Keith Wassung
01-22-2005, 06:43 PM
I hate cardio, but I love playing games, so turn your cardio into some type of game, ie, go to an outdoor basketball court, do a lay-up at one end, race to the other end and shoot and go back and forth for 3 minutes, getting as many baskets as you can-rest one minute and then repeat for 5-6 more cycles-or whatever works for you-use your imagination and turn work into fun.

Keith

GMCtrk
01-22-2005, 06:44 PM
cardio sucks. maybe that's why I stoped doing it for 5 months. Gotta start back up though, the bulk is taking its toll oin my BF hehe.

For me though, I jus cant stand sitting on a bilke for half an hour on a time, it seems like eternity,
Playing basletball is great though. Perfect form of HIIT.

TTT
01-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Or try going somewhere interesting, eg. running up a mountain track or something, it's great. Or cycling. At least the scenery changes.
If you can't do that, then I'm with Ryuage, get something to watch/listen to.
Does your cross-trainer (a machine, I assume?) have a digital display and computer? Those are always fun to confuse by going too fast, and then having it tell you to slow down, because your heart rate's too high :)

Ironrelic
01-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Take the cardio outside. Get the heart going with a steady jog; doesn't have to be a 4 min. mile; this ain't marathon training. Enjoy the scenery.

Jasonl
01-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Over the summer I would get off work early and get home around 11am so I would go out to a very empty street in my neighborhood and do HIIT for 15-20 intervals in the 95 degree heat and for some strange reason I really enjoyed doing that. :confused:

Cubby
01-22-2005, 08:43 PM
I am bulking and I hate not being able to do cardio, I love to go for a nice jog in the morning, but that will have to wait a while.

Jasonl
01-23-2005, 12:40 AM
I am bulking and I hate not being able to do cardio, I love to go for a nice jog in the morning, but that will have to wait a while.
Why can't you do cardio while bulking? There is no reason not to.

Adam
01-23-2005, 01:19 AM
Moderate cardio is always recommended. Bulking or cutting.
If your bulking you won't want to go for a 10mile run 5days a week, but a morning jog will only do you good.

Vido
01-23-2005, 01:54 AM

:withstupi

Vido
01-23-2005, 02:00 AM
I may do quite a bit of it, but I am certainly no cardio expert as far as theory goes. However, if I'm not mistaken, you will NOT see the same benefits from splitting up your session. I think there's some kind of threshold that needs to be reached before it starts taking maximum effect.

That being said, if you're looking at it from a straight calories burned point of view, I suppose it's all the same.

Regardless, half an hour is nothing...I did 90 minutes this morning and didn't really even notice.

NOPowerPaul
01-23-2005, 04:23 AM
I love cardio, probably too much though. I use to do 12 hours of cardio a week on an exercise bike for an hour in the morning and last thing at night. I now just do fours a week on off days in the Am for an hour right after rising.

I never find it boring because it is a challenge to me because I have asthma so it's never easy. I keep my HR up between 155-162 for 55 minutes and really push it hard. Feels brilliant afterwards and helps keep my BF% around 9.5% even after eating 3800 calories per day for 6 weeks now.

body
01-23-2005, 06:21 AM
I hate cardio, but I love playing games, so turn your cardio into some type of game, ie, go to an outdoor basketball court, do a lay-up at one end, race to the other end and shoot and go back and forth for 3 minutes, getting as many baskets as you can-rest one minute and then repeat for 5-6 more cycles-or whatever works for you-use your imagination and turn work into fun.

Keith

me to. though i do martial arts for mine. Eg some kick boxing is often fun way to burn some kcals.

Keith Wassung
01-23-2005, 07:57 AM
For a variation in cardio, try what is known as the Tabata Intervals or the Tabata Protocol.

Tabata Intervals consist of 20 seconds of maximum intensity exercise, followed by 10 seconds of rest. This cycle is repeated 8 times (for a total of 4-minutes). Although Dr. Tabata used a mechanically braked cycle ergometer, you can apply “Tabata Intervals” to several forms of exercise, such as hitting a heavy bag, sprinting, jumping rope, or fast paced bodyweight squats.

Your first reaction might be, “How effective can this protocol really be with just 4 minutes of exercise?”

Let me answer this question for you… VERY EFFECTIVE!

You will be amazed at how intense 4 minutes of exercise will feel. This form of training taxes both the anaerobic and aerobic energy systems. Tabata Intervals are excellent for those athletes who participate in high intensity sports such as boxing, MMA, or wrestling.

After just 6 weeks of testing, Dr. Tabata noted a 28% increase in anaerobic capacity along with a 14% increase in V02Max. The 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off interval system improved both the anaerobic and aerobic energy systems significantly. These results were witnessed by physically fit athletes. Many tests are conducted on deconditioned subjects, which makes the test results more difficult to evaluate. Dr. Tabata's test was much more effective, as it produced a positive response on individuals who were already in shape.

This form of training is also effective for fat loss. Tabata Intervals will raise your body’s metabolic rate long after the exercise session is completed. You will continue to burn fat throughout the day. Recent studies have shown that intense interval training will elevate the rate that your body burns calories by up to 142% more than low-intensity, continuous exercise

As mentioned, you can perform Tabata Intervals with several forms of exercise. The most obvious is sprinting. For example, sprint 20 seconds, and then rest 10 seconds, and continue until you have completed 8 x 20 second sprints. Always begin with a moderate warm-up and cool down session. You can apply this to a bodyweight movement such as push ups, squats, or use the stationary bike, jump rope, etc.

Another great Tabata workout can be performed on the heavy bag. Punch non-stop for 20-second intervals, followed by 10 seconds of rest. You will be surprised at the difficulty of this 4-minute heavy bag session.

Give these Tabata Intervals a try. 3-4 days per week is ideal...

Keith

Nito
01-23-2005, 08:37 AM
I HATE cardio.

shootermcgavin7
01-23-2005, 02:31 PM
I didn't mind it until I broke 200ish lbs.

MixmasterNash
01-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Tabata is interesting. The crossfit folks use it all of the time with things like BW squats and thrusters.

Hercule
01-23-2005, 03:06 PM
I used to run 8 miles a week when I was desperate to lose weight. At first I loved it because I knew every mile was getting me that much closer to the body I wanted. However, when I got closer to the goal, I didn't like it as much. I always run in my neighborhood. When it got boring, I got a girl that I used to go out with to run with me. That spiced things up a bit. When it was too rainy, I would go to the gym and listen to my favorite burned CD and the time would fly.

SilverSonic
01-23-2005, 03:56 PM
HIIT is fun, i do it on the treadmill in the gym... I do 30 minutes of 1 minute intervals, moving from 10kph and 20kph. Also for long cardio, sometimes if i have something to study i will keep it with me and use the time to memorise information

Cubby
01-23-2005, 06:11 PM
I jog to school, school is 6 miles away, I would have to eat so much to make up for that

Ares
01-23-2005, 07:36 PM
I love cardio of all kinds.

Vido
01-24-2005, 01:49 AM
I jog to school, school is 6 miles away, I would have to eat so much to make up for that

Wow, I'd love to get to school all drenched in sweat.

Milliardo
01-24-2005, 04:30 PM
I've never been big on cardio until now. I slacked in this area most of the time, but I can't ignore it now: I need stamina as well. My 64 year old dad beat me to climbing hills. He's been jogging for as long as I remember, so his stamina is real strong, something that's not exactly true for me. So now I incorporate cardio in my workouts.

smartbody
01-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Cardio can be very taxing and kinda boring; if its not your thing. Intervals are great for anaerobic benefits and are a great way to reintroduce yourself to cardio by building up your stamina. Start at whatever you can manage for a consistant jog and then walk until you recoup and start again. But remember, to gain aerobic benefits you need LSD(long slow distance) activity at light to moderate levels. Aerobic respiration is an entirely different energy system that breaks down mostly fatty acids and glucose and utilizes slow twitch muscle fibers. Even if you can get up to 15 - 30mins 3-5Xs wk you'll see the results. :)

WatchThisSpace
01-29-2005, 07:59 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm finally getting back into 30+ minutes cardio everyday. I do rest sometimes and then go back on. I usually go on for 20 minutes, stop, then go on for another 10/20 minutes. Is this alright to do so? I am not particularly looking to maintain any muscle, I just really need a baseline to begin. I've been doing this for a week now, and it makes a huge difference to when I use to not do cardio.

fixationdarknes
01-29-2005, 09:57 AM
I like cardio. Well, okay, I HATE running, but I do it nonetheless. What I meant was that I like cardio days. I like them because those are the days I work my abs and neck.

Vido
01-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Intervals are great for anaerobic benefits and are a great way to reintroduce yourself to cardio by building up your stamina. Start at whatever you can manage for a consistant jog and then walk until you recoup and start again.

Neither walking or jogging provide anaerobic benefits. The idea of intervals, as referred to as HIIT, is period of sprinting followed by periods of walking/jogging. The anaerobic benefits come from the sprinting.

Tafman
01-29-2005, 01:43 PM
cardio is boring, but if im watching seinfeld on the big screen and have my headset tuned to it, then i can go 60 minutes easily w/o even thinking about cardio.

i usually start with 10-15 mins on the treadmill doing a fast paced walk on the highest incline. then jump to the eliptical glider for 45 mins and put it on level 14 out of 20.

hooligan_media
01-30-2005, 05:50 AM
I hate cardio. Unless I got something else to occupy myself with, like TV or music. Oh try playing video games while using the exercise bike, like maybe Madden 05 :) Its great!

Vido
01-30-2005, 01:56 PM
I hate cardio. Unless I got something else to occupy myself with, like TV or music. Oh try playing video games while using the exercise bike, like maybe Madden 05 :) Its great!

Watching tv or listening to music is fine, just about anything else is not imo.

If you can play a video game, read a book, do your homework, etc., you're not working nearly hard enough. It makes me laugh when I go to the gym at my university and I see so many girls reading and highlighting their textbooks while they're on the elliptical or stepper. Seriously, save yourself the awkwardness and just do that sitting at home in your chair...it's not like you're getting a good workout in anyway.