PDA

View Full Version : Cardio after lifting?

Brock Huard
01-26-2005, 07:39 AM
I do my cardio directly after I lift, and I was wondering if anybody knows of any reasons why this might not be a good idea. I'm in the gym 3 times a week, and I don't have time to go more often than that...so I try to fit in both cardio and weightraining on the same days. I lift heavy (well, heavy for me) and I usually don't have much in the tank when I start my cardio right after lifting (usually 20 minutes on a high intensity level). I just don't want anything to take away from the muscle gains, and I'm not sure if I am depriving my muscles from growing to their full potential by engaging in intense cardio right after intense lifting?

Adam
01-26-2005, 07:45 AM
You answered your own question
" I usually don't have much in the tank when I start my cardio right after lifting"
Thats why you try not to do cardio after weights.

Brock Huard
01-26-2005, 07:54 AM
You answered your own question
" I usually don't have much in the tank when I start my cardio right after lifting"
Thats why you try not to do cardio after weights.

I still get it done...my question is...will this interfere with all the work I have just done tearing my muscles down lifting? Will it hinder the repair process?

Adam
01-26-2005, 07:58 AM
It will hinder the repair/recovery process.

Brock Huard
01-26-2005, 08:02 AM

Thanks.

NaturalBuilder
01-26-2005, 08:36 AM

I second that. Your body is already in a catabolic state after a weightlifting session. Doing a cardio workout direcly following a resistance training session could screw up your recovery somewhat. Do your cardio on off days, or early in the morning on your resistance training days.

Progress
02-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Will it still hinder the repair/recovery process if you do cardio 3-4 hours after weight training?

Keith Wassung
02-01-2005, 09:16 AM
I have another thought--after your workout, consume some good post workout nutrition (very important) and then, consider doing some type of light recreational activity-something you enjoy, something that allows you to sort of cool down from the workout-I love to finish the workout and go and shoot baskets ( sometimes its hard to lift the arms high enough) or go for a swim, play wiffle ball with the kids. Its kind of fun and relaxing after a workout and you often have the post workout euphoria-so go ahead and engage in some activity. I actually think some light to moderate activity actually faciliates the repair process. I dont think it affects your recovery-unless you are a really, really hard-gainer-athletes ( even in high school) lift, run, train, drill, wrestle, etc all on the same days. You have to make that judgement for yourself. This is why a log is so important.

Adam
02-01-2005, 09:31 AM
I agree with Keith that some light/moderate activity is good, just make SURE to get some carbs/pro in before you start the cardio though.

gino
02-01-2005, 11:19 AM
I've actually read somewhere (can't remember where) that it's not detrimental in any way to do cardio after weightlifting in short sessions. The article said that all it does is keep the nutritional "window of opportunity" open longer. I've never found it to impact results if kept to an intense 10-15 minutes.

Vido
02-01-2005, 11:51 AM
I've actually read somewhere (can't remember where) that it's not detrimental in any way to do cardio after weightlifting in short sessions. The article said that all it does is keep the nutritional "window of opportunity" open longer. I've never found it to impact results if kept to an intense 10-15 minutes.

I agree. I wouldn't go out and do an hour of cardio after a workout, but I'd say as long as you set the upper limit at about 20 minutes you should be fine.

That being said, I definitely prefer splitting up cardio and lifting sessions.

accuFLEX
02-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I do my cardio directly after I lift, and I was wondering if anybody knows of any reasons why this might not be a good idea.

I dont know any, but i do cardio after every workout...in fact, i do at least 40min of cardio per day. I have only gotten leaner and added strength over the past 3 months.

Sure its hard as hell, but i got used to it.

meister
02-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Just do 20-30 min of Jogging at like 5.5mph and you will be fine! You get your daily cardio in and wont hinder anything

Myndal
02-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Doesn't a workout build up lactic acid in your muscles? From what I've read, it is recommended to do just enough cardio (like 15 minutes) to deplete that lactic acid build up. But cardio for weight loss should not be done directly after a lifting session.